What Miniature Paint do you use?

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'm about a low-medium minis guy. I can highlight via drybrushing and shade via inking and if it's a really good mini that I'll use for a while, I'll throw in some blending and different layering but not too often (lazy like that.)

Despite that, I enjoy the Vallejo colors. Once you get the idea of thinnining your ink down, it's easier than dipping the brush in the caps of say the Citadel or old Reaper paints.

I have been interested in hearing about the Adiken line though. Any users of that or the new Reaper Master line? I've heard some good things about the latter on a few posts here.

The Madhatter

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
I'm about a low-medium minis guy. I can highlight via drybrushing and shade via inking and if it's a really good mini that I'll use for a while, I'll throw in some blending and different layering but not too often (lazy like that.)

Despite that, I enjoy the Vallejo colors. Once you get the idea of thinnining your ink down, it's easier than dipping the brush in the caps of say the Citadel or old Reaper paints.

I have been interested in hearing about the Adiken line though. Any users of that or the new Reaper Master line? I've heard some good things about the latter on a few posts here.
My FLGS has decided to cease carrying Adiken paints and consequently have them in a bin for a dollar. I picked up a couple of bottles and I'm pleased with them. The consistency is good and they have a thinner(that I suspect is just acrylic flat) that's really handy in the squeeze dropper. They roughly mirror the GW line in colors, which is nifty for some but boring for others. I've been impressed with mine, but I am very envious of the Reaper Skull agitator. I've been putting marbles in my GW and Folk Art paints for years and I find that an agitator is indispensible. Never use BBs though, they'll rust and corrode at the bottom and swipe your pigment.

Last edited:

slorak

First Post
I myself use almost exclusively the Vallejo Game and Model Colors now. I used to use the GW paints but to be honest I hated the lids (even the pre screw on lids).

I think I prefer the Vallejo Game color because I paint quite a bit of GW stuff and the color matching is very nice - they even went so far as to mimic the color names! The paint is a bit thinner than the model color and for the 1+ years that I have been using the game color I haven't found any problems with mixing them with the Model Color, extender, magic wash, inks, etc.

Another thing that I have found recently that has been very cool is using Tamiya Clear paints to tint metallics - especially the orange and yellow for golds or rust. The clear red makes for a really nice blook effect or enriching red.

I have heard good things about the new reaper paints in the dropper bottles but I can't really comment on them as I haven't used them.

I find it kind of funny that since I have gotten back into the hobby after a long absense I find myself continuously finding new support products to add to the whole mini creating experience! I now have uncounted amounts of various flock, sand, snow (techstar snowflakes are the best!), brushes, extenders, flow aids, etc. etc. etc. the list never ends!

I know that several others have posted about Vallejo as well but I just wanted to add my 2 cents that I really like the vallejo paints. They haven't let me down yet. Just one last comment before I go - a good sealant makes all the difference as well. What I do is hit it first with a coat or 2 of the Krylon Crystal Clear semi gloss for durability and then a coat or 2 of Testor's Dullcote to take away all the shine. The less shine a figure has the better it looks in my opinion.

Cheers,

-Mike

DarkSoldier

First Post
The Madhatter said:
My FLGS has decided to cease carrying Adiken paints and consequently have them in a bin for a dollar. I picked up a couple of bottles and I'm pleased with them. The consistency is good and they have a thinner(that I suspect is just acrylic flat) that's really handy in the squeeze dropper. They roughly mirror the GW line in colors, which is nifty for some but boring for others.
I use Adikolor as well, since it's the only paint that one of my favourite LGS's carry. I love the dropper, and would never consider using a screw-cap pot like the Citadel line. However, I have noticed that Adikolor tends to settle quickly, so when I sit down to work, I often have to shake the paints like they owe me money.

Drachenherz

First Post
Semi off-topic

If anyone wants to see the results I get on my work with the paints I described, check out the art gallery. All of the pics under Last Additions are mine, as well as a few others. Let me know what you think (please vote!)

slorak

First Post
Lady Firehawk said:
I use Citadel paints, but then again I've just gotten started with Warhammer 40K... been procrastinating on painting my Battle Sisters, though. :D

I bought the witch hunter codex when it came out as well as a couple of the sisters and I have yet to do anything other than a test model for a color scheme that I ended selling off on ebay! ;)

I have a modest Plague Marine army that I have started that is slowly growing as well. Plus I am working on a fantasy chaos army. Plus I am... Welcome to 40K and the world of GW! It never ends. :D

Cheers,

-Mike

IronWolf

blank
pogre said:
We had this argument on these boards a few months ago and I'll just say I disagree.

I have not had the money to renew my account on ENWorld for the last couple of months, but perhaps someone with the search function could hunt it down for us.

As someone just getting into painting minis I am interested in seeing the "argument" between the Michael's store type paints and the more traditional minis paints discussed elsewhere in this thread. Could someone with the search function post the link to the thread Pogre references? It would be much appreciated! Thanks!

slorak

First Post
IronWolf said:
As someone just getting into painting minis I am interested in seeing the "argument" between the Michael's store type paints and the more traditional minis paints discussed elsewhere in this thread. Could someone with the search function post the link to the thread Pogre references? It would be much appreciated! Thanks!

If you are new to the hobby I would definitely suggest a model oriented paint such as GW's, Reaper, or Vallejo. I myself really like the Vallejo. The big difference between the big bottle paints at michaels and the model paint is the size of the pigment. You get a much finer pigment in the model paints than in the craft paints (which tend to use chalk in their formulation leaving a grainy appearance on miniatures).

It may cost $2-4 a bottle for a small bottle rather than a larger bottle of craft paint but unless you are painting a lot of figures and large ones it will definitely last a good long time and the results will be better. Also a more enjoyable experience will help you enjoy the hobby more. The craft paints are good for doing terrain.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,

-Mike

Remove ads