What Miniature Paint do you use?

Ketjak

Malicious GM
pogre said:
We had this argument on these boards a few months ago and I'll just say I disagree.

I have not had the money to renew my account on ENWorld for the last couple of months, but perhaps someone with the search function could hunt it down for us.

This one?

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62133&highlight=ceramcoat

If not, gimme some memorable keywords to track down.

pogre

Legend
Drachenherz said:
If anyone wants to see the results I get on my work with the paints I described, check out the art gallery. All of the pics under Last Additions are mine, as well as a few others. Let me know what you think (please vote!)

Great looking figs Drachenherz!

nyrfherdr

First Post
I'll second Pogre, Drachenherz, very nice mini's. I love your purple dragon.

On Adikolor paints... I've given up on them. I bought a set of them and the squeeze bottles are nice and the color range was pretty good.
The paint was thin, pigment small, but it continued to leave bubbles on the minis. Even using different things to thin the paint.
I contacted the company and had no luck getting a resolution. Also, an agitator is almost imperative because the pigment will separate out quickly from the solvent (water) leaving an unusable pot of paint. I don't know if it was a bad batch or not, but I used them for several months working around the bubbles, but finally decided it wasn't worth it and scrapped the lot.

I have had good luck with Valejo (sp?) and just purchased some Reaper Masters. I'll post a review after New Years when I get a chance to try them out.

On Paints in general: I would recommend to everyone that they purchase a couple of bottles of any paint color they like. Try different brands and different types of paint. You will find that different paints give you different results. Results you may love.

I have used craft paint exclusively on mini's and gotten great results. Check out my mini thread. It has many craft paint only figures. See if you can guess which ones are which.

Vallejo and other paints are great too. Especially for more subtle shading and highlighting effects.

I have several paint types in my bag of tricks and use them all at different times for different effects.
You will find your own style requires your own paint. Experiment and find what works for you.

Game ON!
Nyrf

kenobi65

First Post
I used to exclusively use the old Ral Partha paints. They worked very well for me (good coverage, smooth texture, long life in the bottle) for many years...until Ral went out of business. :( Iron Wind Metals (which seems to have wound up with most of RP's assets) has (re-?)introduced the line under their own brand name, but I found their formula to be a bit on the thin side.

When the RP paints became hard to find a few years ago, I began buying Reaper paints, and have generally been happy with them, as well.

I've only bought a few bottles of Citadel, and will echo the earlier comments about the awful bottles (though this was before they introduced the flip-tops), though the paint seemed to be fine.

ledded

Herder of monkies
I've used GW, Vallejo, Reaper, Reaper Pro, Ral Partha, Floquil Model/Airbrush paints, Folkart/Creamcoat/etc and several others.

I like my Vallejo best, followed by the Floquil and Reaper.

The craft store paints I use for terrain/big projects, as their lack of density in pigments and inconsistent medium can often require multiple passes to get a coat on a mini or sometimes just plain screw it up (chalky texture, inconsistent drying, etc). Plus, they are inconsistent not only between brands, but between colors within the same brand and even lots of the same brand/color; I've used a certain grey with Folkart, and then got another pot of it much later and it went on much different. But for cheap paint for basic work, or for bigger projects where you can afford to slop it on, they can work fine (but still inconsistent).

The floquil (and other brands) of paints used by military scale modellers tend to be very fluid and have good pigment density, and are perfect for brushing on vehicles/models/etc if you dont want to use an airbrush. They do not drybrush well, however, because of their 'runniness'.

Vallejo gives me the best of all worlds; great pigment density with super-tiny particles, a good flowing medium that can easily be thinned or thickened without compromising the paint's characteristics too much, and those super handy dropper bottles. I've used a few Reaper Pro's recently and I'm liking them almost as well.

The Madhatter

First Post
I would like to affirm Ledded's comments about the Vallejo and Reaper Pro-Paints. I've recently switched to the dropper lines of paints and wishing I had the money to replace my 15 years worth of GW paints. GW paints are good, but if you are starting from scratch, go with Vallejo. The Game colors mimic the GW line if you are adhering to White Dwarf or another GW painting guide.

Decado

First Post
Another vote here for Vallejo Game Colors. I have used Reaper and GW and found that Vallejo worked best for me. I also like the fact that they mimic the colors in the GW line, which is very handy if you are using a painting guide from White Dwarf.

Decado

deltadave

First Post
My favorites are Windsor and Newton oils. they give great colors, incredible intensity and with just a few basic colors can be mixed to almost any shade. You can manipulate the paint to get any kind of finish from matte to glossy. If you want to use water for cleanup, W&N has their Artisan line of paints and media. The only drawback is longer drying times compared to acrylic. I prefer them to the specialty acrylics because they are available at any art store, there are far more of them than there are of hobby stores.

Remove ads