• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where's the weirdest place you've ever found YOUR name?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
OK. Curious, I went and Googled my name. I was scared as to what I saw.

A few years ago, I submitted a few creatures to the D&D book "Into the Black". I was never contacted about it. I assumed they hadn't used them.

On Google, the second most popular site was the RPG.net store's buypage for Into the Black. I'm listed as a contributing author. Now I really want to know what they used...

Demiurge out.

Edit: Holy crap. They used the leytru! I love those guys. Good work, Into the Black. You know quality.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The last town when you leave SC on I-26 is my family name, it kind of fun to see your name then exit number...makes you want to get off the highway.

Tetsubo

First Post
I was watching one of those True Crime shows on TV one night and the real world murder victim had my first and last name. Creepy...

Cintra

First Post
My real first name is Cintra, and as far as I know, it's virtually unique. So it was quite a surprise one day in WalMart, as I stood next to a big bin of bargain lollipops, to hear a woman's voice behind me say, "Cintra, get your hand out of those lollipops!"

I turned around, and she was talking to a very little girl, maybe three or four years old. The kid had the same short dark brown hair that I'd had when I was little...

Maerdwyn

First Post
My name (though not attached to me) appears in the credits of The Empire Strikes Back. A guy with my name was Wedge's Gunner :D

Henry

Autoexreginated
Blue Sky said:
So, I'm wondering, have you ever seen your name on something that had nothing to do with you? Pop can, billboard, etc.?

In the design credits for a Dos-Based Battletech Editing program that I had nothing to do with. As the story goes, in the early 90's none of our group had a good way to stat up Battlemechs for Battletech without copying all the info to a 'Mech sheet. I was thinking, "man, I'd give anything for a good computer program that would print this out."

I found one a week later on a BBS, downloaded it, and tried it - beautiful!

Then I looked at the credits.

Apparently what I gave was my soul. :D Never did track down the other Henry Link, though.

EDIT: Added Screen Capture of the program. Still freaks me out.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
My last name is Smoot.

Town of Smoot, Wyoming (never been there -- thinking of moving there for fun)

Bridge in Boston... length of bridge is actually measured in Smoots (the height of someone named Smoot in ages past).
http://tafkac.org/collegiate/smoots_bridge_markings.html
http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/smoot.html

One of a pair of creepy clowns ( I don't like Clowns )
http://www.mumpandsmoot.com/

From Ferris Bueller fame... the teacher is talking about an act of congress called the Hawley-Smoot act (tariff)... he is talking about Voodoo Economics.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/time/id/17606.htm

der_kluge said:
This was one of a series of ads about how different people like to eat their Reeses Peanut butter cups. And this little black boy comes out with a cow and it says "Curtis Bennett eats his Reeses Peanut Butter Cup with milk" and the boy says "come on, milk!"

It really freaked me out.
It would be especially freaky if "Come on, milk!" were something that you yelled out at times.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
It would be especially freaky if "Come on, milk!" were something that you yelled out at times.

I just can't imagine any RL scenario where this would be appropriate. :)

One of my wife's friends was driving across Kansas one time, and on that same day, someone with her exact same name was killed on a highway in Kansas. So, everyone in her work place thought she was dead! It all fit - the place, the time, the name. For some reason, she was out of pocket for some time, and didn't get in touch with them a couple of days later. When she called the office (it was a work-related trip), they thought someone was trying to play a cruel trick on them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads