D&D General Which movie rating would you use to describe your D&D campaigns?

Which MPAA movie rating would you use to warn folks about what to expect in your D&D campaigns?

• Rated G - General Audiences

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rated PG - Parental Guidance suggested

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Rated PG-13 - Parents strongly cautioned – Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Rated R - Restricted – Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Rated NC-17 - Adults Only

Votes: 13 11.3%

I would say the content is PG13 for almost all the campaigns I've DMed or played in. That said, the comments at the table (regardless of which group) can definitely drift into NC17 territory.

ericstephen

Villager
PG-13. The Indiana Jones vibe is what I'm looking for in a campaign.

I'd never run nor play in an R-rated or above campaign.
So if you were a player & the DM, who normally curses the same amount or less than anyone else at the table, were playing a semi-recurring NPC who talks a lot like Swearingen from Deadwood, which turns PG13 into an R rating in two sentences (& succinctly conveys the core of the NPC's personality), you wouldn't play that game or if you DM, you would stay away from really portraying the NPC the way it would really speak in the world it lives in?

Vulgarity is a huge part of the US rating system. If you say "fu**" more than once, your PG13 goes to R.

teitan

Legend
PPG-13 but leaning R for horror elements along the lines of alien or Night of the Living Dead in space. Our language is interestingly not a lot of swearing, it's not super violent, just kind of gory. We don't even really have sex as a theme. It's just a fun little pulpy sci fi adventure in the Pact Worlds.

CapnZapp

Legend
Oh no worries, a lot of Americans agree this system for rating films is insane and inconsistent (and there is even evidence the MPAA is corrupt), but as a rule of thumb for describing your game to others, it is a familiar system (for Americans at least) even if (as I said in my OP) it has clear and obvious problems as a system for something that is so subjective.
Still, every major ttrpg board acts (and moderates) as if this rating system is completely natural and obvious and should apply to published game supplements, so there's probably more to it than that...

I mean, point me towards a table-top discussion forum (whose moderation policy is) set up by those Americans you talk about and I'll believe they exist :)

Not attacking you by the way. Consider it ribbing, at most. Thank you for replying and have a nice day.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's very unfortunate for "the American". If I had to guess they probably didnt shut up for the entire session.

Sent a dick pic to one of the others. Wasn't actually gaming just turned up and did his thing.

Totally off his face. Lives in Maine and had reasonable chats with him before.

No one was actually offended but we hang out in that channel to avoid the Deutschland Uber alles types and CSA edgelords.

Remove ads