D&D General why do we not have an armourless half caster?

One thing I noticed about a lot of these that I could think of offhand: they have a cool magic weapon. That’s something the official rules seem resistant to granting. Even Pact if the Blade grants a technically nonmagical weapon, you just receive it via magic.
There are plenty of cool magic weapons allowed by the rules. It's the DM's job to deal them out.

Or play an artificer. You could make a good approximation of an anime character with a battlemaster artificer. I've seen enough anime to know cute pets are a thing.

There are plenty of cool magic weapons allowed by the rules. It's the DM's job to deal them out.
Relying on the dm to opt in to giving you the thing that makes your entire concept possible is asking the player to hope they get to play their concept at some point while everyone else is guaranteed to be able to play their concept from the beginning. As you might guess, many players aren’t satisfied by that.
Or play an artificer. You could make a good approximation of an anime character with a battlemaster artificer. I've seen enough anime to know cute pets are a thing.
Mandatory pets really are a dealbreaker here. It’s way to much to just ignore.

What do you think the Monk is...?

Ki points are just the Spellpoint variant from the DMG, mathematically, based on a Short Rest. If you triple the Ki point total by Level, and reverse the math to get Spell Slots, Monks have the same progression of Slots as Paladins, Rangers, and Artificers.

Ki abilities are mathematically just Spells.
so in theory.... ki points could be a half caster warlock?

Ginormous sword500 gp2d8 slashing30 lbsTwo-Handed, Finesse
Sorted. High dex, good AC without wearing full plate. Or just rule that a futuristic Shoulder pad gives as much protection as medieval full plate. It's not like armour matters much in 5e anyway. In our current party the wizard has the highest AC.

Materia = material component.
I mean, I wish D&D official stuff worked that way, I have to admit. For a brief while in 3.XE it kind of did.

Do it as setting specific stuff if you wanted to do a jrpg campaign. You could give everyone a limit break ability as well.
As an individual DM, sure, that works, but my point is there's a broad desire among players (I would assert, without hard evidence, I admit) for an archetype, which 5E does not currently support, but which D&D has, previously, supported (and which Pathfinder supports, albeit imperfectly - I suspect 2E does a better job, I haven't checked though). As @jmartkdr2 pointed out, 5E has sort of danced around it, making hyperspecific stuff that isn't quite right, rather than going for it.

Remove ads