D&D General Why Editions Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I took the point of the video to be that the stakes of a new edition of dnd, or in discussing the relative merits of any edition over others (i.e. edition warring) are very low. For instance, I see people all the time discussing which retroclone or OSR game will be the key that unlocks proper "old school" play, and I feel that it doesn't really matter. Or rather, if you are aligned with your table in terms of what kind of game you want, you'll end up making slight modifications to any game to match your style, and this is relatively easy to do.
Not for me. I took quite awhile to get my style, and many systems make me fight them hard to get to it. There is a breaking point where I say its too much and bridge too far. Editions and systems absolutely matter to folks like myself.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Not for me. I took quite awhile to get my style, and many systems make me fight them hard to get to it. There is a breaking point where I say its too much and bridge too far. Editions and systems absolutely matter to folks like myself.
It's easy to say that things within a genre are the same when looking at them at a high level, but when you're a devotee of that genre, the nuances really start to matter. There's a reason there's hundreds of FPS games or strategy games, after all; TTRPGS are the same way.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Obviously YMMV, but for me I had less than two pages of house-rules for 1E or 2E despite playing them for 25 years, none at all for B/X or BECMI.

I have over 150 for the full 5E Mod house-rules I currently have.
Ok, sure. But that may instead be indicative that 5E as written requires a lot of tweaking to make it play the way you want, where 1E and 2E didn't.

But, for example, the 1E initiative system as written is just straight-up busted and incomplete. ADDICT is adequate evidence of that. You literally have to truncate, patch, or entirely replace it just to play the game. OD&D as published literally has no initiative system.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Obviously YMMV, but for me I had less than two pages of house-rules for 1E or 2E despite playing them for 25 years, none at all for B/X or BECMI.

That is a truly massive amount of houserules for a game for which most people I have played with, watched/listened to play, and talked to about the game, would have maybe 3 houserules total.
Maybe because no one was saying this and demanding such is a rhetorical deflection?
They replied to a post in which I stated that there is no evidence that the feeling of playing an incomplete game is especially widespread, offering “an example”.

My reply to them is entirely in line with the conversation thus far.

Oofta

Legend

Whereas I have less than a single page. Same with most games I play. I can't imagine playing a game that had 150 pages of modifications or how anyone would keep track of everything.

I'm glad it works for you but you have exponentially more house rules than anyone I've ever encountered in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases