WotC World Reveal of Baldur's Gate 3

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian Studios. According to PC Gamer, the Early Access version of the game will launch this year with five characters: Wyll, Human Warlock Shadowheart, Half-elf Cleric Lae'zel, Githyanki Fighter Gale, Human Wizard Astarion, Elven Vampire Spawn Rogue And you'll be able to create characters using these...

At PAX East today, gameplay footage of Baldur's Gate 3 was revealed for the first time by Larian Studios.

According to PC Gamer, the Early Access version of the game will launch this year with five characters:
  • Wyll, Human Warlock
  • Shadowheart, Half-elf Cleric
  • Lae'zel, Githyanki Fighter
  • Gale, Human Wizard
  • Astarion, Elven Vampire Spawn Rogue
And you'll be able to create characters using these six classes:
  • Fighter (Battle Master, Eldritch Knight)
  • Wizard (Evocation, Abjuration)
  • Rogue (Arcane Trickster, Thief)
  • Ranger (Hunter, Beast Master)
  • Cleric (Life, Light, Trickery)
  • Warlock (Fiend, Great One)
15 races include (amongst others):
  • Elves
  • Dwarves
  • Humans
  • Githyanki
  • Drow
  • Tieflings
  • Vampire Spawn

LLH1BPJ.png

qlR4Bmg.jpg

jEeuWft.jpg

8Gic926.jpg

OLP0YhI.jpg

EsNTlWm.jpg
QzN9a7C.jpg
knMpJyl.jpg
uRbTbmp.jpg
drYBkxb.jpg
PhUpxaP.jpg
PM2ysZc.jpg
2htLlMr.jpg

MarkB

Legend
Are you really that easily impressed by some Micheal Bay style CGI? Man you have low standards.

You wake up alone in an unfamiliar land. No connection to your past, no explanation or introduction to the world, etc. Its Divinity 2 all over again and especially the beginning is rather meh.
They said during the presentation that they skipped the game's tutorial chapter, because it hasn't been coded yet, so the gameplay footage we saw is not your character's introduction to the world.

Also, if you choose to play one of the Origin characters, each of them has a backstory that you can read during character creation. If they do it anything like they did DOS2, they'll probably include an introductory cinematic for each character that outlines exactly who they are, and what personal motivations they have beyond the main plot of the game. And if you don't like any of the origins, you can simply build your own character and decide for yourself who they are.

So. The initial stage of Ceremorphosis takes about 5 hours. What do you speculate is going on with the characters in the game? Some kind of new form of ceremorphosis that allows cooperation between the Mind Flayer and the Host?

Zarithar

Adventurer
So. The initial stage of Ceremorphosis takes about 5 hours. What do you speculate is going on with the characters in the game? Some kind of new form of ceremorphosis that allows cooperation between the Mind Flayer and the Host?
Particularly interesting take - how would ceremorphosis affect a vampire spawn? Correct me if I am wrong, but vampire spawn are already undead (or on their way) and beholden to a vampire lord. I am nerding out in my mind thinking about a vampire lord vs. an ulitharid by the way.

MarkB

Legend
My guess is that, since the ship and its crew were destroyed, the embryos in the characters' heads are unable to establish a link to the Elder Brain, and have instead formed a limited mental network between their hosts. How or if that will affect their metamorphic cycle remains to be seen.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)

Well, according to the marketing blurb the Dead Three are in the background manipulating events; not sure what purpose they'd have to interfere with ceremorphosis but I feel like they could if they wanted to

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Particularly interesting take - how would ceremorphosis affect a vampire spawn? Correct me if I am wrong, but vampire spawn are already undead (or on their way) and beholden to a vampire lord. I am nerding out in my mind thinking about a vampire lord vs. an ulitharid by the way.

I watched enough of the gameplay to see the vampire spawn posit that same question to himself... he didn't know either. It did seem to create some effects, like being able to feel the emotions of the others infected, and now able to walk in the sun.

I suspect that even though the host is technically undead, it doesn't actually matter to the Mind Flayer tadpole. As long as the brain is functional enough, it will seize it, and gradually assert control until the body becomes a Mind Flayer. By the end, it is really the tadpole that has grown into it's host body, so it wouldn't really matter if it was undead.

So I suspect the tadpole overrides the loyalty to the vampire lord. However, the lord may sense the lost connection and return to reassert its dominance.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Interesting... so the flesh is just a vessel, living or dead. I wonder if that is the case? Apparently the tadpole is not suffering any ill effects.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Interesting... so the flesh is just a vessel, living or dead. I wonder if that is the case? Apparently the tadpole is not suffering any ill effects.

I also think the key is that the brain needs to be sentient. So a tadpole can't inhabit a zombie, as the brain is too rotten and loses everything but its motor functions.

But a vampire spawn remains quite intelligent, and has a functioning brain, so the tadpole is a-ok using it for ceramorphosis. I think this is actually a pretty rare case, as most undead do not have a functional brain capable of sentient thought. Even a lich doesn't really have a brain, its intelligence is an extension of its soul from the phylactery.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Yeah so that leaves things like ghasts, wights, and a few others I am not currently recalling which have sufficient intelligence and intact (or even enhanced) organs.

Remove ads

Remove ads