D&D 5E WotC Shares Theros Table of Contents

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least. Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least.

table of contents.jpg

Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

EZRMn-tUcAUe5g_.jpg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You think that a fey subclass isn't related to Planescape? You think that a Wildfire druid isn't related to planescape? Those are the most obvious ones ever! The Phantom Rogue references the Shadowfell and Shadar-Kai. True naming has always been connected to demons and devils. If those aren't planescape in theme, I'll eat my shoe.

The Phantom Rogue is the rewrite, and is definitely more Planescape than the Theros iteration.

dave2008

Legend
Demons and Devils are a key part of planescape.
But they are a key part of D&D and exist in most if not all of the settings and are integral to at least the Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, and Nentir Vale settings as well. My point is that it is odd choice to claim as evidence for a planescape product.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
But they are a key part of D&D and exist in most if not all of the settings and are integral to at least the Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, and Nentir Vale settings as well. My point is that it is odd choice to claim as evidence for a planescape product.
If a subclass is themed around true naming, which is related to demons and devils, that points to a connection to the lower planes. That makes them connected with planescape, it doesn't really matter the setting of the world, because demons and devils are key to planescape.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Planescape is still divisive, decades later. I think it's very unlikely that:

A) WotC would put out a book with the name "Planescape" on it, and
B) WotC would put out a planar book that wasn't stuffed full of Planescape material

At this point, Sigil, the gate towns, the Great Modron March, etc., are all part of the Great Wheel cosmology (or the Great Wheel+, or whatever we're calling 5E's lightly tweaked Great Wheel).

It does seem very likely that WotC will be, at last, creating a planar sourcebook, including character content, whatever they call it.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
True naming has always been connected to demons and devils.
Truename magic is connected to those gods who created things by speaking them into being, as opposed to those gods who created things by crafting them out of raw materials.
Demons and Devils happen to be especially susceptible to the speaking of their true name, but any other creature can be affected by that also: in 3e you could utter your own true name to change yourself (to heal, boost attributes, and such).

I've thought of Truename magic as a subset of Divine Power, not as Planar-centered.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Planescape is still divisive, decades later. I think it's very unlikely that:

A) WotC would put out a book with the name "Planescape" on it, and
B) WotC would put out a planar book that wasn't stuffed full of Planescape material

At this point, Sigil, the gate towns, the Great Modron March, etc., are all part of the Great Wheel cosmology (or the Great Wheel+, or whatever we're calling 5E's lightly tweaked Great Wheel).

It does seem very likely that WotC will be, at last, creating a planar sourcebook, including character content, whatever they call it.

Planescape is the stealth default Setting of the game, as laid out in the PHB and DMG. I think that when they go there, the book will say "Planescape," which still has marketing caché from Torment, which just got rereleased on PS4 and Switch.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
You think that a fey subclass isn't related to Planescape? You think that a Wildfire druid isn't related to planescape? Those are the most obvious ones ever! The Phantom Rogue references the Shadowfell and Shadar-Kai. True naming has always been connected to demons and devils. If those aren't planescape in theme, I'll eat my shoe.
That is an incredible leap.

Remove ads

Remove ads