Yedan's Troubleshooters (Eberron)

Walking Dad

First Post
Thanks.

Ok, I think I remembered Breland and Karrnath better because I like them more ;)

If we do Breland and it is known for being cosmopolitan, how this will be reflected at the rural village starting point?

If we do Karrnath, would you consider to remove the evil descriptor from some of the undead spells, so they are more usable for PCs?

Kaodi

Hero
I am generally a very RAW sort of guy. And I imagine all the spels with the (evil) descriptor had it in v3.5 as well. With Eberron though, it is more the case that alignments themselves are looser and more grey. Unless you realy go overboard, there should not be a lot of consequences outside of roleplaying for casting the occasional (evil) spell. Just means you will not be a saint.

I am not sure thought what you mean by Breland being cosmopolitan affecting the rural starting point. It will likely be the case that exotic races will be much more rarely encountered as NPCs, but a PC of any race should be able to find a reason to be from there and not driven out, as long as they do not conform to some kind of villainous sterotype of their race.

SelcSilverhand

First Post
I just converted an Eberron game over to pathfinder, and we are back in Aundair for the time being. Of the kingdoms I like Breland and Karrnath for their flavor. Breland has Sharn and New Cyre and all the plots that go with that, while Karrnath has the armies of undead serving alongside the regular folk. Of course there always the monstrous lands like Droaam to choose from that could be fun. Aundair is okay if you delve into the subplots but it can feel like a generic fantasy kingdom.

Kaodi

Hero
So, here is what I am thinking:

The characters are from the area in Breland that sits in between the Whitehorn Wood, the Dragonwood, and Castle Arakhain. From my looking at the population numbers in Breland, and a thread I started in the General Forum, it has come to my attention that the number of people that live in this area (roughly a 50 km radius of the starting town) is likely to be astounding: five large towns, theoretically ~500 villages, encompassing upwards of 250,000 people. In any case, each character hails from a different village, and at the beginning of the game they will all have been summoned to the central town, which is how they meet. The important thing to note is that the origin and location of the characters is not meant to be a limit on what this game will be like. It is primarily meant to be a sandbox game, and if the characters do not care for this area at all, they are free to go somewhere else to find fame and fortune. I am merely provided a framework to get things off the ground.

In any case, the theme of this area is one that is finally getting a chance to sort its affairs out. The Last War has meant a lot of things have been put off for a long time, and only know are the resources becoming available to clean things up. There might be bandits to put down, mysteries to investigate that were once unimportant, ruins to to explore that have not been touched by the authorities in nearly a century, and just in general to clean up things that have been allowed to fester as men and resources have been tied up fighting an all-out war. Perhaps also new threats that are having a chance to emerge now that military vigilance is being to wane.

Kaodi

Hero
On the recommendation of certain distinguished personages you are hereby summoned to a special counsel of Mayor of Amrovel Vileema Falkur to take place on the date of Nymm 17, 998 YK, in Office of the Mayor of the Town of Amrovel. It is recommended that you marshall your resources and prepare for an extended absence from your place of residence. If you cannot find anyone to care for your affairs while you are away, it will be provided for by the Town of Amrovel. It is requested that you avoid discussion of your business with Mayor of Amrovel Vileema Falkur with anyone beyond those whom must necessarily be concerned with your absence.

Signed,
Marsen Tangskt, Clerk to Mayor of Amrovel Vileema Falkur

ghostcat

First Post
[MENTION=1231]Kaodi[/MENTION] Still going with a Magus - Kensai Archetype. Here's his background with a new Eberron paint-job.Hope this is OK.

[sblock=Background]Acryinton and Stanley were a couple of elderly and, if the truth be told slightly senile, members of House Medani. After a long an distinguished career, as a mage and weapon master respectively, Baron Treblin d'Medani decided to put them out to grass. So the pair were installed in one of the house's villas near Castla Arakhain in Breland. At first they were content to just potter around their villa but all too soon they got bored. They then decided to see if they could train someone to combine the skill of both a mage and a sword master such that he could use both simultaneously.

Having searched the nearby towns for a likely candidate, they choose a 10 year old orphan who was barely surviving by begging and was delighted at his lucky break. Even though it meant him giving up his old life and assuming a new identity.

Calling their new protege Unirse, they started his training in earnest. Unirse was less pleased at the exhaustive regimen to which he was subjected. However he stuck to too it and had just finished his initial training when a letter arrived ordering him to a meeting with the Mayor of Amrovel Vileema Falkur.

To say that Acryinton and Stanley were irritated is a gross understatement. Not only was the mayor taking their experiment away before they had time to study how well it worked. The project was supposed to be a secret and they had no idea how the mayor knew about Unirse.

OOC: Name subject to change up to start of play

[/sblock]

Kaodi

Hero
I think you would be better off portraying your character as either trained by members of House Deneith, Aundairians who were upset by being turfed when they got too old, or Brelish agents experimenting with duplicating Aundairian training. Medani just does not quite make as much sense as people who would be interested in combat research.

Remove ads