• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CB's Shackled City: Zenith Trajectory

Mellubb

First Post
I head to my desk where I normally track my invoices and begin to write a note to post.

“To whom that interested;
My name is Aaron Welling. My friends and I have completed a few tasks to help the city. One of our companions has decided to hang up his adventuring hat and start his own business. Although we wish him luck this new endeavor has left us but short handed. We are looking for a replacement.
Anyone interested must meet the following criteria;

1) While reward will not be turned down, we ask that greed not be the soul reason for participation.
2) Trust is the number 1 issue. Any who apply need to be honest and reliable.
3) We are not judges we will grant mercy to all who ask for it, and will never punish the innocent. We will ensure the guilty be brought to justice, we do not intend to bring that justice to them if not necessary. We will kill those who refuse to surrender, but will when possible give that choice.

If this sounds appealing to you, bring a strong stomach and stout hart to Ghelve’s Locks on Ash Ave, we look forward to your company. Only serious about doing good need apply. If no one answers the door please leave a note in the box on the porch. Although we would appreciate help, this is in no way meant to imply desperation. We are more than willing to turn down every applicant who does not seem to be willing to comply with all of the above criteria."

I then show the note to Bollaron and Nyla. “What do you think I wanted to avoid sounding needy but also ask for help? I am trying to avoid a large response of scum so I made the criteria very clear. Any suggestions?”

I hate to be the voice of reason and common sense but there are those in town and we think pretty high up in the town hierarchy who are less than pleased with our helping the town. It would be all too easy for them to send us someone who says they are here to help but in reality are either thwarting our efforts or reporting back to their seniors. These people would probably have a keen interest in not killing as the ones they would be killing may also be in the employ of whoever sent them. That would only add to their credibility as non blood lusting do-gooders like ourselves. And a tavern is not normally known for it's upstanding and wholesome clientelle. If we are going to bring in anther person, I believe we should not advertise who we are, what we are doing or why we need another person. Also we should not be giving out the Lock shop as our center of Operations as that gives away who we are. The Notice should read more like

"Wanted person or persons interested in adventure as well as promoting good and the preservation of life. Those interested please leave a short note with what you would add to the adventure and contact information with" Here I suggest an underling at the Halls of Healing, which is the temple to the All-Mother.

Nyla or I can then go colect the notes every day or 2, I am there often anyways. That way we could sift through prospective partners with some anonymity. I would of course also have the same or a different underling post the note so no one sees one of us posting it and thus ties us to the advertisement.

We are too well known and have too much at stake to be taking chances at this point. Remember everytime we have thwarted a plan and made friends we have at the same time made enemies and the enemies normally have much more reason and incentive to find us than our potential allies do. We should not make it any easier than necessary for our efforts to be undone.

Mellubb

First Post
“I believe any advertisement posted any where will be linked to us if not immediately then eventually There are very few in this town who would go out of their way to do Good, especially if there is no reward promised.” Turns to Nyla “Do you have any magic that can discern whether or not an individual is being truthful while we interview those interested.”

Eydis

First Post
"Well I have something that I can cast that makes people tell the truth, but I can't guarantee that it will work on them. I could also try to detect whether they are good or evil, and if they have an undiscernable alignment then we definately don't want to trust them."

"I do agree with Ballaron though. We don't know who in this city we can trust. I personally am not so sure about the Lord Mayor, I have a strong sense that he's one of the bad guys. Whatever you guys think best though we can do. I would be more than willing to use any of my spells to help us."

Mellubb

First Post
Maybe Nyla can pray for someone to come and help us. Yea... see if you can make it a girl too... this way if a girl shows up and says "Hi, I am whatever-her-name-is and I would like to help you people do good things. Especially you Aaron you are so heroic and mage-like..." and she gets all googly eyed we know we can trust her. Its a perfect plan but it only works if you ask for a girl.

I do not have a problem with posting an advertisement, we just need to be as circumspect as possible. True, it may eventually lead back t us anyway and we are still not 100% sure that we haven't had a saboteur planted among us, but it gives us the best chance of finding someone without revealing who we are until we get a chance to check them out. By getting their info anonymously, we can scry or augury or just conduct special Ops to get info before ever saying hello. If we end up not uising someone we send a message anonymously saying "thank you for your interest in our venture but we are not in need of your services at this moment. We will keep tyour applicationon file for 6 months incase an opening arises."

Mellubb

First Post
I think I like the prayer idea better. This way if we do get a bad guy in our group we can point and laugh at Nyla. Besides I think I need a little faith in my life. While your at it if you could please ask for less rain that would be great. The temperature is fine I would just like it to be a little drier. It can rain between the hours of 2am to 5am because I am not usually outside then. If not the weather then only then girl adventurer will due. But I don't think it would hurt to ask for both.

Eydis

First Post
"Don't push your luck, Aaron."

"That sounds good Balarron. We can use someone to mediate for us. I agree that that sounds the safest, and I will have the proper spells prepared."
"In the meantime, shall we go back down and try to get the elevator working again? Or perhaps some steps put into the side of the shaft? Just let me know and we can get started."

Yes please use what spells you can to dig us deeper everyday. Stairs would be fine, but will probably take more time. However we can get there fastest and still be safe would be best.

Eydis

First Post
I still have 3 stone shapes prepared for today which I can use to start making stairs down. I need to do the math on exactly how many stairs we can make a day and how many we need to make total. I think the obvious answer is to make the stairs spiral along the wall. Let's do the math and get started.

Remove ads