[D&D 4e] IG's "Those Left Behind, Chapter 4(e)"

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia stops short on seeing the oddities before them, then flings her hands out. Wind roars to life, blowing her hair wildly around as her eyes begin to shine with a cold blue light. Words spill from her mouth, words like thunder; like the wind itself.

Dust and debris erupt from the floor, whirling in a pattern like that of a tornado...if all the fury of a tornado could fit into a small room like this...this is what it would look like.

(Howling Hurricane! Radius 1 burst within 10sq. 19 and 23 to hit, vs Fort defense. 33 damage, plus I can slide 'em 4 spaces. Area of attack turns into a zone. Any creature starting turn in a zone can be slid 2 squares.
Burst Center - J6. Moth Swarm to hit: 19, Black Pudding to hit: 23, Slide to: 4sq towards back wall)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2552391/

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Shaimon Hu'u, druidic human ranger

Shai squints into the swarm, and lets out a bit of a relieved breath. "Not chaos thingies. Pudding. Not tasty pudding, though, but these won't turn us into goo, though they're still pretty nasty. And whatever the swarm is, it ain't any everyday moths I've ever seen. I think gettin' to the door's the best idea."

As Talashia calls forth her hurricane, Shai nods. "That's the way, clear a path!"

With that, the hairy man lobs a small stone into the swarm, landing it near the closest pudding as well as the thickest part of the swarm. As it hits the ground, the room reverberates with the crack of thunder.

[sblock=OOC]Please bear with me if I'm getting this wrong. Shai's throwing his thunderstone. Attack on the 'power card' is listed as +8 vs. fort, 1d4 thunder damage, area burst 1, and target pushed 1 square (I'm fairly certain the deafened condition isn't applicable to puddings or swarms, but there's that, too).

In addition, the pudding is the closest creature to him, so that's technically his quarry. The description says quarry damage is just on an attack, and doesn't differentiate kinds of attacks, so I rolled that (d8's because of the Lethal Hunter feat), though it only applies to the pudding, not the swarm.

Aiming at E6.

I noticed a couple of people rolled multiple attacks, but I thought iterative attacks were gone in 4e? Let me know if I have another attack and I'll figure something out there. Anyway, the rolls:

Thunderstone attack vs. Fort; damage; quarry damage (1d20+8=17, 1d4=4, 2d8=10)[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
Iterative attacks are gone, but if you make an area attack you roll one "to hit" roll seperately against each enemy in the area, but you only make one damage roll. So I think in your case you need one more roll against either the moths or the pudding
[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]
Talashia stops short on seeing the oddities before them, then flings her hands out. Wind roars to life, blowing her hair wildly around as her eyes begin to shine with a cold blue light. Words spill from her mouth, words like thunder; like the wind itself.

Dust and debris erupt from the floor, whirling in a pattern like that of a tornado...if all the fury of a tornado could fit into a small room like this...this is what it would look like.

(Howling Hurricane! Radius 1 burst within 10sq. 19 and 23 to hit, vs Fort defense. 33 damage, plus I can slide 'em 4 spaces. Area of attack turns into a zone. Any creature starting turn in a zone can be slid 2 squares.)
Roll Lookup

What square are you targeting, and to what square are you sliding them if you hit? Also, I need you to specify which attack roll goes to what enemy. Sorry to be so technical, but it matters in this case...

[sblock=ooc]
Iterative attacks are gone, but if you make an area attack you roll one "to hit" roll seperately against each enemy in the area, but you only make one damage roll. So I think in your case you need one more roll against either the moths or the pudding
[/sblock]

jkason, renau1g is correct here. A separate roll for each enemy, and one damage roll applies to all those hit. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Friadoc

Explorer

Leif

Adventurer
Uulark Simental, Longtooth Shifter Cleric of Sehanine L11

Uulark forcefully says, "Vile black creature, I have looked into the future that you have made for yourself and seen your doom! We are the agents of your brutal demise!" Then, Uulark immediately calls down the Power of Sehanine, bathing the nearest black pudding in agonizing radiance, driving strength from its next attacks.

[sblock=actions]Uulark uses his Paragon Path Power Prophecy of Doom. The next hit on the pudding before the end of my next turn will be a crit, if the attacker so chooses. The way I read this power, I don't roll an attack with it, it just happens. Uulark follows this up with his second standard action for the round which is Break the Spirit (radiant, wisdom vs. will) Uulark's attack is 1d20+5(wis)+2(magic implement)=22, damage =2d8+5=14, but I forgot to add the bonus to damage for his magic implement, so it should be 16. U's Break the Spirit (1d20+7=22, 2d8+5=14) Uulark chooses to make that hit a critical hit, so damage is 21 not 14, or 23 if the bonus for his magic implement applies to damage as well as attack. And the black pudding takes a penalty of -4 to its attack rolls until the end of Uulark's next turn.[/sblock]

At least, I think I got everything covered. :-S

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Uulark forcefully says, "Vile black creature, I have looked into the future that you have made for yourself and seen your doom! We are the agents of your brutal demise!" Then, Uulark immediately calls down the Power of Sehanine, bathing the nearest black pudding in agonizing radiance, driving strength from its next attacks.

[sblock=actions]Uulark uses his Paragon Path Power Prophecy of Doom. The next hit on the pudding before the end of my next turn will be a crit, if the attacker so chooses. The way I read this power, I don't roll an attack with it, it just happens. Uulark follows this up with his second standard action for the round which is Break the Spirit (radiant, wisdom vs. will) Uulark's attack is 1d20+5(wis)+2(magic implement)=22, damage =2d8+5=14, but I forgot to add the bonus to damage for his magic implement, so it should be 16. U's Break the Spirit (1d20+7=22, 2d8+5=14) Uulark chooses to make that hit a critical hit, so damage is 21 not 14, or 23 if the bonus for his magic implement applies to damage as well as attack. And the black pudding takes a penalty of -4 to its attack rolls until the end of Uulark's next turn.[/sblock]

At least, I think I got everything covered. :-S

Leif, you did, in fact, get everything covered... except the initiative order. Bad guys go before Uulark and Caerwyn. ;)

industrygothica

Adventurer
Talashia blasts the pudding to the other side of the gorge, but the moth swarm stays its course.

Rogash's bolt sticks into the goo. A piece separates, and forms itself into a smaller, but entirely new creature. The swarm seems unaffected by his other bolt.

The shock of Shai's thunderstone is absorbed by the pudding, and has no visible effect.

Buurt launches two more bolts at the pudding, and two more creatures erupt from the thing.

The northernmost pudding lashes out in an attempt to engulf its prey. Uulark and Caerwyn escape the grab, but Buurt and Shai are held tight, their skin burning from the thing's acidic body.

The smaller puddings each lash out, and again Shai feels the acidic sting.

The other pudding attempts to engulf Talashia and Rogash, but they each manage to dodge the attempt.

As the swarm of moths advance, you are all overcome by a wave of fear.

attachment.php

[sblock=Details]
Talishia hits pudding 2 for 33 damage and slides it 4 squares

Rogash hits pudding1 for 32 damage; pudding splits

Shai's thunderstone has no effect

Uulark crits for 23 damage, pudding is at -4
--------
P1 Engulf
vs. Buurt - crit 16 acid damage, grabbed
vs. Uulark - miss
vs. Caerwyn - miss
vs. Shai - crit 16 acid damage, grabbed

Spawn 1 misses Buurt
Spawn 2 crits Shai for 10 acid damage
Spawn 3 misses Shai

P2 Engulf
vs. Talashia - miss
vs. Rogash - miss

M1 Wave of Fear
vs. Buurt - crit for 38 psychic damage; stunned until end of next turn
vs. Uulark - hit for 20 psychic damage; stunned until end of next turn
vs. Caerwyn hit for 20 psychic damage; stunned until end of next turn
vs. Shai hit for 20 psychic damage; stunned until end of next turn

M2 Wave of Fear
vs. Rogash hits for 22 psychic damage, stunned until end of next turn
vs. Talashia hits for 22 psychic damage, stunned until end of next turn
[/sblock]
[sblock=Status & Initiative]
26 Talashia (54/76): Stunned
25 Shai (30/76): Grabbed, Stunned, Bloodied
23 Rogash (64/86): Stunned
20 Buurt (21/75): Grabbed, Stunned, Bloodied
19 Bad Guys
12 Uulark (65/85): Stunned
10 Caerwyn (80/100): Stunned

Enemy Status
M1
M2
P1
P2
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]4 crits in one round... my evil blue D20 strikes again!

On a side note, see the OOC for some discussion here...[/sblock]

Attachments

• TLB1.jpg
    TLB1.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 174

industrygothica

Adventurer
Buurt and Shai feel the painful burn as the black ooze continues to engulf them.

The smaller oozes lash out, and Uulark feels their acidic sting as well. Fortunately, the things don't seem interested in devouring him whole.

The last ooze again reaches out for Rogash and Talashia, and this time finds its mark on both targets. Slowly, it creeps over thier bodies, its touch burning their skin.

The moth swarms seem to concentrate, and knock the stunned Caerwyn to the ground. Talashia suffers the same fate, and the pudding seems to appreciate her prone, limp body.

attachment.php

P1 Sustains grab
vs. Buurt - 11 acid damage, loses 1 healing surge
vs. Shai - 11 acid damage, loses 1 healing surge

Spawn 1 hits Uulark for 10 acid damage
Spawn 2 Crits Uulark for 10 acid damage
Spawn 3 misses Shai

P2 Engulf
vs. Crits Rogash for 16 acid damage, grabbed
vs. hits Talashia for 10 acid damage, grabbed

M1 Winged Assault
vs. Caerwyn hits for 16 damage, prone