• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Industrygothica's "Those Left Behind" [IC]

Friadoc

Explorer
Jemal said:
"Doesn't look like they're giving him much of a break, does it?" He asks quietly as he stands nearby, trying to judge the halflings disposition.

"Not much," says Friadoc was he watches the Plumed Man and Rogash talk. "But, those types never like it when someone tries to beat them at their own game."

Overall Friadoc has the build of a lean, athletic halfling, however there is an economy about his movements that hints at his monastic lifestyle.

Not once does Friadoc look at Rokelsh, as it would have too many implications if he appear to know and talk to the fighter.

"Let me guess," asks Friadoc with a cool timber to his voice. "They coerce their combatants?"

industrygothica

Adventurer
Scotley said:
Keeping his voice low and reasonable Rogash says, "Hey, fancy man, you got a good show. The patrons are happy, why are you so hungry for blood? We put up a good fight and nobody is complaining. You get heavy with me and I'll sing to the law, the patrons and anybody that will listen that you put people in the cage against their will and then toss them in the street. Now, I'll be happy to walk out of here and do my drinking somewhere else and keep my mouth shut. You've already got all my money. I gave you my pride when I let that big lug win, what more do you want?"

"Ha!" the man laughs. "The law? You should know by now that we own the law. Go ahead, tell them. Tell the crowd." He waves his hand as if giving him the opportunity to speak up. Do you think they care why the fighters fight? As long as they see a good show and as long as Vardi serves them their ale, they'll keep coming back. Afterall, you did.

"But you're right. You put on an impressive show, and though you could've caused an uproar, it looks as if you've skated through. For that, I'll give you what you ask. Leave here. Do not return, but know that a favor is owed. Do not tarry when your skills are called upon."

The man does not wait for an answer before he turns to leave. The two henchman remain to make sure Rogash finds his way out.

Scotley

Hero
Rogash

Happy to get out of this place, Rogash gathers his gear with as much dignity as the men will allow. He gives a nod of respect to Rokelsh before he departs.

Jemal

Adventurer
Rokelsh remains standing where he is, keeping his eye on Rogash and the guards as he speaks quietly to Friadoc. "Some. I was offered money, but the dwarf did not fare so well.. And they didn't pay me, either. I did not want to beat a man who wasn't there of his own free will, hence the show."

industrygothica

Adventurer
The two thugs handle the dwarf's gear as they lead him out of the basement level and back up the stairs.

The man in the plume hat makes his way to Rokelsh. "You might want to consider leaving while you still can. Don't go far though, we'll be meeting again."

Jemal

Adventurer
Rokelsh fights down the urge to break the mans nose. That was as clear a threat as he'd had in a while, and in his culture, Threats were meant to be addressed promptly and with finality. He stood there for a moment, Pride fighting Common Sense as his fists clenched at his side. Then without a word he cracked his neck, turned and left, trying to find the dwarf before he got too far. It was obvious these guys would go after both of them, and if they were both together they stood a better chance.

industrygothica

Adventurer
As Rokelsh takes his leave, the man looks down at the halfling. "I find it convenient that you placed your bet at the last minute, just as the human beat that miserable dwarf. Perhaps you were in on it?" He bends down to whisper into Friadoc's ear. "Mind yourself, or you'll find yourself endebted to me, just like your barmaid friend." With a sadistic smirk, the man stands up. "Don't think you'll be paid any winnings, and I'll be keeping your three gold--we'll call it a protection fee." He takes his leave before Friadoc can respond.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
*There were probably about a half dozen people close to Rokelsh, and he and the halfling never looked at each other.*

Scotley

Hero
Rogash

Once outside the dwarf takes a minute to check his gear and secure his weapons before considering his next course of action.

Remove ads