TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
...I will say that I have recruited every one of my six children to the gaming hobby, and it stuck on half of them, the three boys ;)

I'm thinking my son will be following in my footsteps. Besides, his mom, two uncles, and two aunts all game. Plenty of good gaming influence all around!

I just read an article regarding the positive effect of faith and prayer in regards to surviving illness and healing.

I can say that it works for shattered collarbones. I was praying the moment I hit the endboards! :heh:

the powers that be at Dragon Magazine have asked me to pen a gord the rogue short story, and I hope within the next few months to get to that. When I have, i'll then see about finding a publisher that would be interested in reprinting all seven of the books in hardback form. If those sell well, a new paperback edition can follow.

That sounds promising. I know a few people (the aforementioned family members above) who would be interested in them, hard- or paperback.

I spent a lot of time the last 24 hours checking out Castles & Crusades. I have to say that I am drooling over the system after reading the review here on EN World. I need to get that PHB!

So, did you have any input into C&C? I did not see your name in the credits, but were you involved at all in its creation. Because it sounds like this is the direction D&D should go in if ever they want to do a 4th edition. I love the fact that combat and preparation times are MUCH shorter. Hallelujah, I can get free of the clutches of "crunch". :D

Thanks, Gary.

Michael

gideon_thorne

First Post
Zudrak said:
I spent a lot of time the last 24 hours checking out Castles & Crusades. I have to say that I am drooling over the system after reading the review here on EN World. I need to get that PHB!

There are always a few of us C&C folk hanging about on the boards. If you have any questions on the system and need to know where and how to get your hands on a copy of the book(s) (Monsters and Treasure should be out here fairly soon) just give me a buzz.

Always happy to help. :)

Peter

C&C and Zagyg's artsy sketchy dude. :)

T. Foster

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
the powers that be at Dragon Magazine have asked me to pen a gord the rogue short story, and I hope within the next few months to get to that. When I have, i'll then see about finding a publisher that would be interested in reprinting all seven of the books in hardback form. If those sell well, a new paperback edition can follow.

Very intriguing news and I know I certainly wouldn't mind reading more of Gord's exploits. Are we to presume that this new story would be set within the existing timeline from the novels (in the same manner as Michael Moorcock's various post-Stormbringer Elric stories) or might it instead occur after the action in Dance of Demons? Surely you wouldn't consider retrofitting Gord into Wizards' current "canonical" Greyhawk!?

Zudrak

Explorer
gideon_thorne said:
There are always a few of us C&C folk hanging about on the boards. If you have any questions on the system and need to know where and how to get your hands on a copy of the book(s) (Monsters and Treasure should be out here fairly soon) just give me a buzz.

Always happy to help. :)

Peter

C&C and Zagyg's artsy sketchy dude. :)

Peter,

First off, nice artwork on the books. My internet travels led me to your website. I was impressed. Good work. The cover art for the PHB and M&T book really captures the spirit of Swords & Sorcery, IMO. Here's the link I used:

http://ravenchilde.com/cncgallery/index.htm

Secondly, where could I find the PHB? The two closest gaming stores here in South Jersey (near Philadelphia, PA) both closed within the last year, sadly.

Thanks for the assistance, Peter. Once I get the book and look it over, I need to win one player over to get the rest to follow. :] I don't know if I'm looking more forward to trying the game out or having more time to write "fluff" instead of statting out all the crunch of every 3/3.5E monster or NPC. :cool:

gideon_thorne

First Post
Zudrak said:
Peter,

First off, nice artwork on the books. My internet travels led me to your website. I was impressed. Good work. The cover art for the PHB and M&T book really captures the spirit of Swords & Sorcery, IMO. Here's the link I used:

http://ravenchilde.com/cncgallery/index.htm

Cool:) Glad ya like my scrawlings

Secondly, where could I find the PHB? The two closest gaming stores here in South Jersey (near Philadelphia, PA) both closed within the last year, sadly.

Thanks for the assistance, Peter. Once I get the book and look it over, I need to win one player over to get the rest to follow. :] I don't know if I'm looking more forward to trying the game out or having more time to write "fluff" instead of statting out all the crunch of every 3/3.5E monster or NPC. :cool:

There is a retailer list on the TLG main page. But you can also use a variety of options.

1) Order direct from the trolls. (probably the most expedient at this point)

2) Pick it up from Amazon.com

3) check that same retailer list on the www.trolllord.com site and see if there is a store nearby

4) gohastings.com you could try

5) walmart.com

6) Barns and Noble, waldenbooks and a few other .coms might still have it available.

Half the first printing went 'wooosh' out the door in the first month (january) so we are scurrying to get an 'erratta fixed' and tidy version ready to go here rather quickly. :)

Peter

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
T. Foster said:
... Surely you wouldn't consider retrofitting Gord into Wizards' current "canonical" Greyhawk!?
Heaven Forefend!

Should I actually write another gord short story, it will be set in the City of Greyhawk and recount an adventure with some shady associate of his from that time in his youthful manhood.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:

So, did you have any input into C&C? I did not see your name in the credits, but were you involved at all in its creation. Because it sounds like this is the direction D&D should go in if ever they want to do a 4th edition. I love the fact that combat and preparation times are MUCH shorter. Hallelujah, I can get free of the clutches of "crunch". :D

Thanks, Gary.

Michael

Only in the negative, sich as: If you include that kind of crap in the system I'll write the Castle Zagyg material for a plain generic one, and that sort of thing. I did muscle in some skill bundle material that is usable optionally--it appears in the CZ, Yggsburgh, work. Of couirse, i tend to generally ignore rules these days, once I know the general mechanics and spirit of a system, who needs rules? Dire emergencies such a blanking out of memory excluded, as are carefully prepared adventures for home use or module publication;)

Cheers,
Gary

Orius

Legend
Col_Pladoh said:
Anyone who has playedfor 10 or more years is likely entitled to that distinction ;)

Wow, only 10 years? I that would include me, although I didn't start playing D&D until well into the 2e years, and I don't consider myself one of the grognards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads