Artificer UA to be released in February

I don't think there is a bunker strong enough to endure the fanbase exploding over this.

Aldarc

Legend
I hope that this upcoming artificer hews closer to the spirit of artificers of Eberron more than its predecessor iterations did.

dave2008

Legend
ok, it is not astounding.
It is only 5,000 copies over the boats thing and, most important to me, 100+ 5-stars ratings above.

First, I apologize that my previous comment came off a bit wrong (can quite put into words at the moment). Anyway, my point is that it may not have the sales reach they want for a print product. I really think it is a test bed for future setting content. It will be successful enough to push them to release PDF and print on demand products this way, but not successful enough to full print versions. But that is just my guess.

A

André Soares

First, I apologize that my previous comment came off a bit wrong (can quite put into words at the moment). Anyway, my point is that it may not have the sales reach they want for a print product. I really think it is a test bed for future setting content. It will be successful enough to push them to release PDF and print on demand products this way, but not successful enough to full print versions. But that is just my guess.

Thinking on it I don' really know, as an Eberron fan, if I want them to do an official Eberron product, WGtE is really good, and in this format they give Keith Baker more freedom to aply his vision of Eberron, and for a cheaper price XD.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I hope that this upcoming artificer hews closer to the spirit of artificers of Eberron more than its predecessor iterations did.

It'll be hard. The "economy" of magic items in 5E is different than it was in 3.5. As the artificer in Eberron is at baseline a class that embraced the breadth of the magic item economy of that setting, with the economy changing that will most likely have to change the artificer's baseline. The class will need to work for non-magic item heavy settings as well and thus it'll probably be a bit different than the 3.5 version to do so.

Aldarc

Legend
It'll be hard. The "economy" of magic items in 5E is different than it was in 3.5. As the artificer in Eberron is at baseline a class that embraced the breadth of the magic item economy of that setting, with the economy changing that will most likely have to change the artificer's baseline. The class will need to work for non-magic item heavy settings as well and thus it'll probably be a bit different than the 3.5 version to do so.
Most definitely. One of the problems of the previous Artificer, IMO, was that it tried to be too many other concrete things all at once: Eberron artificer, a generic alchemist, a gunslinger, a mechanical rogue, etc. I personally think that WotC should give up the concept of Artificer as gunslinger/gunsmith since Matt Mercer's gunslinger largely fills that role already.

The Artificer in Eberron was more akin to a guild artisan that would develop from within a magical setting. They looked across the spectrum of magical traditions, regardless of categories like "divine" or "arcane" magic, in a desire to distill and transfer the essence of magic into objects. And through infusions (and crafting), Artificers had a tremendous degree of flexibility in their use and creation of magical items. This magical economy was most definitely rooted in its original 3e context, but also to its benefit, a 5e Artificer will be spared the cumbersomeness of 3e magical crafting rules. So a 5e Artificer provides the opportunity to present something more streamlined and simple.

A

André Soares

Most definitely. One of the problems of the previous Artificer, IMO, was that it tried to be too many other concrete things all at once: Eberron artificer, a generic alchemist, a gunslinger, a mechanical rogue, etc. I personally think that WotC should give up the concept of Artificer as gunslinger/gunsmith since Matt Mercer's gunslinger largely fills that role already.

The Artificer in Eberron was more akin to a guild artisan that would develop from within a magical setting. They looked across the spectrum of magical traditions, regardless of categories like "divine" or "arcane" magic, in a desire to distill and transfer the essence of magic into objects. And through infusions (and crafting), Artificers had a tremendous degree of flexibility in their use and creation of magical items. This magical economy was most definitely rooted in its original 3e context, but also to its benefit, a 5e Artificer will be spared the cumbersomeness of 3e magical crafting rules. So a 5e Artificer provides the opportunity to present something more streamlined and simple.

Also, I think the Wafinder's Guide to Eberron did a good job in making the 5e magic item economy make sense in Eberron. An Artificer that follow those guidelines would probably focus more in common and uncommon magic itens.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Also, I think the Wafinder's Guide to Eberron did a good job in making the 5e magic item economy make sense in Eberron. An Artificer that follow those guidelines would probably focus more in common and uncommon magic itens.

Supposedly, this iteration of the artificer is based on suggestions by Keith Baker, so...

Remove ads

Remove ads