D&D 5E Creative ways to use spells

Inoeex

First Post
Hey everyone

In latest threads, there have been hints on using your creativity with your spells. Why not have a thread only exclusive to this topic? : D
I was thinking that we can stand on each others shoulders by sharing our ideas of how can we use utility spells in a very creative ways. Lets see how far our imaginations can go : )

I am new to DnD and I have not used any of my spells yet, and I am a Bard :p

Since its my 1st time playing this game, I have some ideas and questions, which I would like to hear your opinion of them.

For example, can someone break a window with Thunderwave then control all the broken glasses, moving them with Telekenesis, like making a shower of broken glass on his target?
Can we use our fire spells to seal a wound? To kill some worms if they are feeding on someones wound? Or even using Ray of Frost on them. Its not wise to touch some weird worms : S
Can I use Ray of Frost to freeze the plants which are clogged an entrance then use physical forces to break the frozen parts? Because using Fire to burn them can make a Wildfire : S

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Hey everyone

In latest threads, there have been hints on using your creativity with yout spells. Why not have a thread only exclusive to this topic? : D
I was thinking that we can stand on each others shoulders by sharing our ideas of how can we use utility spells in a very creative ways. Lets see how far our imaginations can go : )

I am new to DnD and I have not used any of my spells yet, and I am a Bard :p

Since its my 1st time playing this game, I have some ideas and questions, which I would like to hear your opinion of them.

In D&D, you can typically try anything. How it turns out is up to your DM. The important thing to do as a player in my view is to make your goal and approach clear, then let the DM decide while recognizing that one DM may not rule the same as another.

For example, can someone break a window with Thunderwave then control all the broken glasses, moving them with Telekenesis, like making a shower of broken glass on his target?

The goal here appears to be to inflict damage on an enemy. The approach is to use telekinesis on broken glass to do it. I would say "Yes." The enemy needs to make a Dexterity saving throw or take 3d6 piercing damage.

Can we use our fire spells to seal a wound? To kill some worms if they are feeding on someones wound? Or even using Ray of Frost on them. Its not wise to touch some weird worms : S

The goal here appears to either stop ongoing damage due to bleeding or to kill a parasite (or the like). The approach is to use a fire spell and ray of frost, respectively. I would say "Yes."

In the first case, there is a trade-off: Take some fire damage now so that you take less ongoing damage than if you did nothing (or did nothing but hope to make a saving throw round after round, if that's the case). If the spellcaster wanted to minimize the fire damage, this might be a good time to ask for a Wisdom (Medicine) check to see how it turns out. Success on the check might mean that minimal damage is inflicted and the wound is sealed. Failure might mean that minimal damage is inflicted and the wound is somewhat sealed, providing advantage on the bleeder's next saving throw instead of staunching the flow outright.

In the case of freezing worms, it depends on the exact context like the size of the worm and how they are attached to the character, but if there is a risk here, it's in accidentally wounding the character while trying to deal with the worms. This seems easily adjudicated with an attack roll. Success might mean hitting the worms and inflicting no damage to the character. Failure could mean hitting both the worms and the character and they split whatever damage is rolled.

Can I use Ray of Frost to freeze the plants which are clogged an entrance then use physical forces to break the frozen parts? Because using Fire to burn them can make a Wildfire : S

The goal here appears to be to make it easier or faster (or both) to clear away brush. The approach is to freeze the plants with a ray of frost to make them brittle. I would say "Yes." If there is any uncertainty here, it is in whether or not you save time by doing this. As such, an Intelligence (Nature) check seems appropriate to decide whether you do or do not save time with this approach.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
For example, can someone break a window with Thunderwave

By the rules, maybe. The spell description states that objects are pushed back 10'. Your DM may rule that if the object cannot move that distance, it breaks.

then control all the broken glasses, moving them with Telekenesis, like making a shower of broken glass on his target?

By the spell description this would be possible, but again, it's the DM's call whether you need to make an attack roll, the target gets a saving throw, and how much damage would be caused. The other issue you will have is that you won't be able to both shatter the glass and throw it in the same turn, since doing so would require casting two spells. I don't believe there is any means of casting multiple spells in a single turn by the rules.

Can we use our fire spells to seal a wound?

Possibly. Produce flame, for example, creates actual fire, but the description states that it doesn't hurt you. Now, it CAN hurt an enemy, so the flame is capable of damaging flesh, so your DM may allow this technique. Of course, what would be the game effect of "sealing a wound?"

To kill some worms if they are feeding on someones wound?

This is one of the only questions you ask to which I can answer: absolutely. Of course, you will probably catch the "someone" in the area of effect as well, so this method might not be the best choice.

Or even using Ray of Frost on them. Its not wise to touch some weird worms : S

You can try to use any attack spell to attack any creature you like. Again, absolutely, though depending on the spell you might hurt the "somebody" in question too.

Possibly. Ask your DM when you're trying to do it. If you were at my table, I would say no; there is nothing in the spell's description that says it causes the target to freeze solid. In fact, the spell's description sounds to me like it inflicts frostbite more than anything else.

One of the great things about 5th Edition's spells is that they are very flexible in application a lot of the time; the downside is that as such, they often require a DM ruling on what happens if they are used. And only your DM can make that ruling.

I have ruled that a Thunderwave threw the baddies back and also threw the gambling table and all their coins as well, doing a little extra damage to them - but that's a decision I made as the DM, others may not make the same decision. Each table is different.

In general, as a DM, I like to reward creative thinking. Freezing the plants and snapping them - sure, why not.

Cauterising a wound - difficult. Most fire spells are not terribly controlled. May as well just heat a knife in a campfire or torch flame.

In general, try it. D&D is a game of the imagination first and foremost.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I have ruled that a Thunderwave threw the baddies back and also threw the gambling table and all their coins as well, doing a little extra damage to them - but that's a decision I made as the DM, others may not make the same decision. Each table is different.
Sure, a roulette table would've done more damage, a folding table less....

pdegan2814

First Post
Possibly. Produce flame, for example, creates actual fire, but the description states that it doesn't hurt you. Now, it CAN hurt an enemy, so the flame is capable of damaging flesh, so your DM may allow this technique. Of course, what would be the game effect of "sealing a wound?"

The situation that comes to mind would be if someone was suffering an effect that was "bleeding" them, causing them to take damage every turn. The DM could rule that an application of fire would result in a one-time damage hit in exchange for stopping the bleeding. Of course, I don't know if any such "bleeding" effects currently exist in 5th Edition, but I could easily one being homebrewed.

psimon85

First Post
Hey everyone

In latest threads, there have been hints on using your creativity with your spells. Why not have a thread only exclusive to this topic? : D

I am new to DnD and I have not used any of my spells yet, and I am a Bard

Firstly welcome to the forums and the world of D&D.

I enjoy meeting, dming for and playing with people like you. I too like pushing the limits of what can and cannot be done.

All of your questions are reasonable and the applications you have thought of are good.

People have already given some good and imo accurate answers.

Thunderwave and the glass....definitely as the spell states it pushes unsecured objects, also it unleashes a rather large and loud boom (300ft I beleive) so shattering glass is a certainty.

In a test campaign for 5th ed I was playing a wizard, I was invisible and manged to sneak behind a sumoner next to his make shift tent and tables aswell as his pet zombies. I unleashed thunderwave pushing him, his zombies, sending his tent, table and utensils flying causing extra impact damage.

Telekinesis on the glass sure, it would be real cool if you conveyed this to somebody else who could cast it and they readied and action to do so when you cast thunderwave.

Using fire to cauterize a wound, sure thing been there done that. Though as somebody suggested produce flame would be a safer more controlled option than firebolt.

Ray of frost is a little misleading as it doesn't actually freeze things. But you DM may say differently.

You have some good ideas. :)

Inoeex

First Post
[MENTION=6798775]Ath-kethin[/MENTION] [MENTION=6798775]Ath-kethin[/MENTION] [MENTION=6788652]The Grassy Gnoll[/MENTION] [MENTION=6801159]psimon85[/MENTION]

Thanks everyone : )

I would like to heard your ideas as well, if you dont mind. I had those ideas based on our world physics but ... I have no clue what can I do creatively with Minor illusion or Mage Hand for example. Unseen Servant ? Its kinda useless to me. Or any other kind of spells like them ... I can imagine creative ways to use them :S

Remove ads