Mearls House Rule: Two-Weapon Fighting

5ekyu

Hero
These changes for TWF are NOT for rogues but a change for characters that actually fight with their weapons instead of using them to deliver a special ability like backstab. If your looking at it for a rogue your not looking where its needed but looking where its not needed and wondering why someone would want to change it. The reason this interests me is the total lack of non-rogue duel wielding because despite the advantages you note they come at a cost of bonus action and the other fighting styles have their own advantages ...at no coast. May classes simply have extra attack for the ability to attack twice at higher damage making lowering the damage for all their attacks for finesse weapons a lose not a gain. This is not to raise two weapon fighting above other styles where it already works but to level it with them where it fails and provide it with a niche so people will actually use it.. In most cases getting another attack with a one two-handed weapon is easier and cost less. Extra attack, Sentinel, pole-arm master, great weapon master, opportunity attacks and other class features like monks martial arts are very common and do more damage to begin with. That's why you see them all the time but only TWF on rogues who don't even care about their weapon as long as they hit something and get back stab.

So, to be clear - you acknowledge that TWf is the go-to for some cases - streikes to deliver effect characters - but also want to level it in all the other cases too?

How is that not making it the best? if its better for some and as good for all - sounds like the one true choice?

What about the great-axe rogue build? That currently is sub-optimal to the dual-wield dagger rogue build. What changes need to be made to make the rogue-greataxe wielder a viable thing too - at least on the same output level as the dagger-rogue guy? Maybe a feat that removes the finesse requirement for sneak is on your to-do list?

*OR* is it perhaps not true that every class/style/weapon combo should have equally performing options across the board and that some weapon/styles should be better than others for specific class-focus?

Satyrn

First Post
These changes for TWF are NOT for rogues but a change for characters that actually fight with their weapons instead of using them to deliver a special ability like backstab. If your looking at it for a rogue your not looking where its needed but looking where its not needed and wondering why someone would want to change it. The reason this interests me is the total lack of non-rogue duel wielding because despite the advantages you note they come at a cost of bonus action and the other fighting styles have their own advantages ...at no coast. May classes simply have extra attack for the ability to attack twice at higher damage making lowering the damage for all their attacks for finesse weapons a lose not a gain. This is not to raise two weapon fighting above other styles where it already works but to level it with them where it fails and provide it with a niche so people will actually use it.. In most cases getting another attack with a one two-handed weapon is easier and cost less. Extra attack, Sentinel, pole-arm master, great weapon master, opportunity attacks and other class features like monks martial arts are very common and do more damage to begin with. That's why you see them all the time but only TWF on rogues who don't even care about their weapon as long as they hit something and get back stab.

I've played a two weapon fighting fighter, and I will happily do so again.

What's really neat about this from my perspective is that if I was a player at your table you'd be giving me a boost I didn't need. And if you're one of those DMs who think the Champion needs a leg up, you'd be doubly boosting me.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I disagree with this:
-Allows more wide use of the reaction. In my gaming experience, reactions are seldom used except by Polearm Masters, Sentinels, or specific kinds of magic users. This widens their use.

Almost every class has some sort of reaction defense and I really don't like the co-oping of reactions as substitute actions. Doing it as free action as a result of using your action on your turn to make a make a melee attack does the same thing without switching the lost of a bonus action to a the lose of a reaction which is very close to a net zero gain. Other fighting styles don't have to take a reaction or bonus action lost to function normally and two-weapon fighting is not inherently any stronger than they are so their is no point in taxing it. If we are talking about encouraging its use we should make it tax free.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this statement. Yes, there are certain class abilities that make use of reactions for defense. A rogue has Uncanny Dodge, certain bard colleges can use reactions for Bardic Inspiration, those with the Protection Fighting Style have a reaction, and magic users have Counterspell and Hellish Rebuke. There may be a couple of others, but the number of options competing for the reaction is far smaller than the number of options competing for bonus actions.

And I do think there needs to be some kind of action investment for TWF. Rolling it into the attack action seems too ligbt, since you are doing something additional. If you allow it for free, then I could see an argument for just letting someone wielding a one-handed weapon getting an extra attack. In my opinion, there needs to be some kind of investment to make the additional attack. However, I also find the bonus action seems too costly. I feel like the reaction is a good middle ground. Especially since reactions can already be used for Opportunity Attacks, demonstrating a precedent for them to be used offensively.

Additionally, I think you might be confounding the fighting style with what is already freely available to everyone. My goal with this change is not to encourage fighters to take the Two Weapong Fighting Style. You are correct that no other fighting style requires an additional action investment, but no other way of wielding weapons also allows or calls for an additional attack over what one might normally be entitled to.

As for your proposed change, I suppose it could work. However, I find it too unwieldy and complicated, and makes use of free actions, which to my knowledge are not found in 5e. Everything is either clearly defined in terms of its action type, or is considered a part of one of those action types.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
At the risk of cross-posting...

Meh, there's a good idea here, but I don't like the execution. I'd simplify it to:

-If you wield two light weapons you may choose to either make one extra attack or increase your AC bonus by +2 each turn.

CapnZapp

Legend
I really don't understand why you bothered to read the thread or post when the entire topic is house rules and your stance is you don't care about house rules. Kind of seems like a waste of effort and time unless you just generally want to run around post some objection to every post in order to push buttons and spread blind hate. So weird to me to post, like going from thread to thread saying "don't post" or coming to a D&D thread to say you don't like talking about D&D. :confused:
Calling my reply snarky is okay. Calling it "blind hate" is... maybe a tad much, eh?

It's simple really. MMearls don't get to both eat and have his cake. Stand by your rules or don't.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
So, to be clear - you acknowledge that TWf is the go-to for some cases - streikes to deliver effect characters - but also want to level it in all the other cases too?

First, that's not what I said. TWF is the go to for a single class, Rogues who doesn't even care about the effectiveness of the fighting style they are just taking ever they can to get second chance to trigger Backstab, they don't even consider it effective as a fighting style options. I have never had a player willing to use two weapon fighting that was not a rogue since 5e.

How is that not making it the best? if its better for some and as good for all - sounds like the one true choice?

How is leveling an ability making it the best? By definition, leveling implies the TWF is below and is being raised to even. It has deficiencies that other fighting styles don't have to perform their function, which Mearls Recognized in his redesign, so lets be clear its not JUST ME saying this. I have heard it from every player at my table as GM and player and multiple other people have posted similar suggestions to mine. What I find interesting here is your not ageing for flaws or balance in my idea with any intent to improve or shape it. Your just accusing me of doing something that is AGAINST my stated goals. If your saying I missed my mark the elaborate but your attacking the concept of altering two-weapon fighting to remove a deficiency and give it a niche by saying it becomes god of all style. Which you fail to support in any meaningful way entirely even knowing its not just me saying this. Why are you coming to a thread to be completely unproductive and attack generally? If you want to argue against two-weapon fighting changes... MAKE SOME ACTUAL POINTS AND SUGGESTS. Don't just make vague pointless picks at peoples wording and idea structure. Make a point or counter a point on a suggestion a of your own.

about the great-axe rogue build? That currently is sub-optimal to the dual-wield dagger rogue build. What changes need to be made to make the rogue-greataxe wielder a viable thing too - at least on the same output level as the dagger-rogue guy? Maybe a feat that removes the finesse requirement for sneak is on your to-do list?

I am sorry, but do you think Two weapon fighting is a rogue feature? I like two weapon fighters and Ranger but they don't hold up in this edition but all you want to talk about it the one class that doesn't care about the fighting style for the fighting style. Your missing the point in that Rogues don't care if TWF is viable. They just want another attack. If you want to level rogues to use other fighting styles all you have to do is give them extra attack at level 5, but that is not the topic of this thread.

*OR* is it perhaps not true that every class/style/weapon combo should have equally performing options across the board and that some weapon/styles should be better than others for specific class-focus?

I believe that Two Handed weapon fighting should (and was in previous editions) be viable for more than just rogues who aren't using it for its effectiveness but just a trigger for backstab. I do believe the each fighting style should have its niche, and I believe my design does that making a one on one "dueling style" which is unique where great weapons usually do better vs low AC targets, and polearms will continue to be useful as harassment weapon with reach and polearm master for better damage and target versatility fighting multiple higher AC enemies. So what is your actual agreement here? Nothing I am saying is against this and their is no reason each fighting style can't both have a niche and a basic balance.

5ekyu, you and me have had a lot of conversations over the last year and a half on this forum and your a usually a pretty sharp person with some good points. Not sure what's going on here but this post is leaning more to hate speech and blind venting. Are you ok? Do you need to take offline about something? If you want to through out some real feed back, of which I know you are capable... please do! I am interested in what you have to say but this is really the most hollow post I have ever seen from you and honestly makes me worried as it makes it seem like your here but distracted with IRL issues.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I've played a two weapon fighting fighter, and I will happily do so again.

What's really neat about this from my perspective is that if I was a player at your table you'd be giving me a boost I didn't need. And if you're one of those DMs who think the Champion needs a leg up, you'd be doubly boosting me.

Sure that is possible with any build. For context though in order for balance to even matter you need to be in a campaign where that leans more to strategic combat than just story telling. Am I wrong in saying you have been pretty vocal about the importance of story over all? I mean you might be in jest but …

That may very well be why I prefer D&D. With the rules lacking, it leaves more space for the Cops and Robbers play of my childhood.

I get the you, 5ekyu, and another name that starts with an S confused so I maybe wrong here. (So feel free to correct me). However can does your group feel pleasured in combat to the point were minor balance lose is important? Because as a player I feel like my GM is trying to kill me (no so much my group but me because we argue about rules so he thinks I am a rules lawyer, but I am not arguing with him to "play" the rules for gain but because he is a story GM and likes to ignore them when I used them and enforce rules that don't exist when I try and do something that doesn't fit his preconceived plan for the story, I am pushing for consistency of rules for the sake of player agency. No one likes to be railroaded by story. So when he picks his targets their is a tendency to see if I am option first), I don't think its a conscious goal of his but as a result my PCs are constantly fighting for their lives so I can't take super sub-optimal story characters or they just die unless my group guards me (they agree this is a thing and have guarded me but it gets annoying if its an every session thing.) As a result, me have a level'd character gives the group time to react. I don't have to optimize, but I can't pull the group down or they just let the GM kill me so that I try again. As a GM, I build encounters usually at the deadly level for the group with a random modifier that makes it easier or harder so that unless they get an exceptionally good modifier roll their fights are not just story trivial as a rule and sometimes they really should run. However, I also usually don't hit them with all the enemies in one turn and give them awareness of the "second wave" so if the first wave kicks their butt they are likely to survive but are aware that continue to fight will likely end in PC death. With this level of difficulty, there is noticeable difference in lost of action economy and DPR. Sometimes they come up with a battle strategy that makes a single combat trivial but that's a one off and good on them.

My point is I prefer games where combat is priority to degree and keeps tension high. I need story too but if your playing with a focus on story and fighting is not important to your group the ability use two-weapon fighting and it not matter could be a matter or play style not caring it your PCs have combat deficiencies. If your honest is that the case with your party? If not and your in a heavy combat environment where balance matters … could you give more information on your successful non-rogue two weapon fighting build? ...because I could not come up with one that worked after level 5 when most of the melee classes get extra attack and use two handed weapon for two attacks at more damage or a weapon and shield to tank.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
People arguing that this is 'way too complex for 5E'...? I am sure why that is why it did not make the 5E rules set.

This is a House Rule Mike is trying out. It is NOT for official 5E. How about we go with that?

For certain campaigns, such as those that focus on swashbuckling, I think this would be a fine way to go about dual-wielding. Obviously it is more complex and Mike is likely playing with players that like that, so again, go for it.

I like the flexibility of it. Two weapon fighting was often for extra defense, not attacks, so this is cool. No need to wait for feats etc to get the regarded benefit of 2-weapons.

I love designers sharing their house rules with us and when people see those house rules for what they are.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
People arguing that this is 'way too complex for 5E'...? I am sure why that is why it did not make the 5E rules set.

This is a House Rule Mike is trying out. It is NOT for official 5E. How about we go with that?

For certain campaigns, such as those that focus on swashbuckling, I think this would be a fine way to go about dual-wielding. Obviously it is more complex and Mike is likely playing with players that like that, so again, go for it.

I like the flexibility of it. Two weapon fighting was often for extra defense, not attacks, so this is cool. No need to wait for feats etc to get the regarded benefit of 2-weapons.

I love designers sharing their house rules with us and when people see those house rules for what they are.
Mearl's shares a lot of his homebrew content, after watching the happy hour I get the impression that he really enjoys connecting with the player base and sharing his homebrewed content. I'm not sure of everything he's shared but there are at least 2 of his homebrewed cleric domains floating around on Twitter. I see him as just like any of us posting homebrewed content here, he likes sharing it and getting feedback.

5ekyu

Hero
First, that's not what I said. TWF is the go to for a single class, Rogues who doesn't even care about the effectiveness of the fighting style they are just taking ever they can to get second chance to trigger Backstab, they don't even consider it effective as a fighting style options. I have never had a player willing to use two weapon fighting that was not a rogue since 5e.

How is leveling an ability making it the best? By definition, leveling implies the TWF is below and is being raised to even. It has deficiencies that other fighting styles don't have to perform their function, which Mearls Recognized in his redesign, so lets be clear its not JUST ME saying this. I have heard it from every player at my table as GM and player and multiple other people have posted similar suggestions to mine. What I find interesting here is your not ageing for flaws or balance in my idea with any intent to improve or shape it. Your just accusing me of doing something that is AGAINST my stated goals. If your saying I missed my mark the elaborate but your attacking the concept of altering two-weapon fighting to remove a deficiency and give it a niche by saying it becomes god of all style. Which you fail to support in any meaningful way entirely even knowing its not just me saying this. Why are you coming to a thread to be completely unproductive and attack generally? If you want to argue against two-weapon fighting changes... MAKE SOME ACTUAL POINTS AND SUGGESTS. Don't just make vague pointless picks at peoples wording and idea structure. Make a point or counter a point on a suggestion a of your own.

I am sorry, but do you think Two weapon fighting is a rogue feature? I like two weapon fighters and Ranger but they don't hold up in this edition but all you want to talk about it the one class that doesn't care about the fighting style for the fighting style. Your missing the point in that Rogues don't care if TWF is viable. They just want another attack. If you want to level rogues to use other fighting styles all you have to do is give them extra attack at level 5, but that is not the topic of this thread.

I believe that Two Handed weapon fighting should (and was in previous editions) be viable for more than just rogues who aren't using it for its effectiveness but just a trigger for backstab. I do believe the each fighting style should have its niche, and I believe my design does that making a one on one "dueling style" which is unique where great weapons usually do better vs low AC targets, and polearms will continue to be useful as harassment weapon with reach and polearm master for better damage and target versatility fighting multiple higher AC enemies. So what is your actual agreement here? Nothing I am saying is against this and their is no reason each fighting style can't both have a niche and a basic balance.

5ekyu, you and me have had a lot of conversations over the last year and a half on this forum and your a usually a pretty sharp person with some good points. Not sure what's going on here but this post is leaning more to hate speech and blind venting. Are you ok? Do you need to take offline about something? If you want to through out some real feed back, of which I know you are capable... please do! I am interested in what you have to say but this is really the most hollow post I have ever seen from you and honestly makes me worried as it makes it seem like your here but distracted with IRL issues.
Ok to lead off - I think your last graph with its reference liking my post to hate speech and blind venting with its questioning my fitness to post (obliquely) is essentially a personal attack.

Now for your points...

First graph you reference the only rogues revision. But in the post I responded to you saifpd in fact not revision "These changes for TWF are NOT for rogues but a change for characters that actually fight with their weapons instead of using them to deliver a special ability like backstab. "

If you had meant only rogues only backstab perhaps you should not have included the reference to the broader cases - effect deliverers.

On the second - as you state, these changes are not for rogues but for others. Leveling the TWF for non-rogues and still leaving it as go-to for rogues is **not leveling** as much as it's making it the one stop for top.

I am sure you can see and know that one form of leveling is for different choices to be best when paired with different choices and worse with others. Right now in 5e the great axe and rogue is an example that's a worse. At the same time TWF and rogue is pretty good.

Over on the fighter side, some see TWF as the worse in that pair of options - greataxe or twf build.

That creates a leveling - each has a place they do better and a place they do eorse.

But you apparently want to "level" the TWF for the fighter vs twf & greataxe.

Well, that's great but at the same time you need to also provide "leveling" for the greataxe rogue new rules **or** you are not really leveling anything, just creating an imbalance.

The key is this - balance is not gained by looking at one side in isolation for something this complex.

So, if you want to provide some comprehensive set of changes to "level" rogue and fighter and paladin and ranger across all weapon style combat sets - by all means do. It likely has to start with them all getting martial proficiencies and shields - so that none require feats or MC fo get even access to certain styles and combos.

5e obviously was not built with that type of "leveling" or sameness in mind.

But as long as your leveling only applies one way to one set for one class (primarily) and leaves the unleveled cases for others, it's pretty much built on a foundation of sand as far as it bring a valid approach toward balance or leveling.

But the system as currently built takes a more diverse approach, leaving some combos better for some classes and others for others.

Remove ads