D&D 5E What Campaign Setting(s) Do You Want To See in 5E?

MasterTrancer

Explorer
For me, I don't necessarily need them to redo all the work that's already been done except with 5E crunch as opposed to earlier crunch. But I would think something like a sourcebook for Sigil and how to use it in a campaign would be useful. It could update the setting a bit for any changes (such as post Faction War, etc.) and could contain crunch for playable planar races.

Similarly, a sourcebook for the Free City of Greyhawk would serve the same purpose. I don't think each setting needs it's own huge line of products. The settings already exist...I think what they need to do is reintroduce them to older fans while also introducing them to newer fans.

I agree that the old books are available as a source of info...but from a publishing perspective, WotC wants to sell new books, not PDFs of older ones. So the challenge is to balance the material as interesting/useful enough for an older fan to buy while still being accessible to a new player.

Thank you for your reply, to which I agree: you've put in different and probably more understandable words what I was trying to say. Just a quick note on your last sentence: I'm with you in that WotC wants to sell, though I'm not sure what the margins could be in "publishing new books" vs. "having old books more accessible", especially since the old books number is staggering, and the cost to make new ones, that should also resemble a lot the oldies, surely is not trivial. For the sake of DnD, probably is best to start with a lean publishing plan...though it kinda spoils me that we're still hovering in the Forgotten Realms, but I'll endure it :cool:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
My choices and what I'd like to see done with them...

Urban Arcana (or some other modern fantasy - the fantasy world hidden in a wardrobe or behind platform 9 3/4 is a genre that has long been neglected by D&D)

Council of Wyrms (in addition to wanting playable dragons and other monsters in 5E, the setting is a nifty reversal of the common fantasy tropes - humans are the bad guys)

Dragonlance (I'd like to see this setting rebooted and taken back to the War of the Lance. The Summer of Chaos and everything that came after was not my cup of tea. However, since time travel is an established part of the setting, I'd like to see the reboot done as part of the existing story canon - have a kender or a gnome travel back in time and change things :) )

Mystara (Here's where we have an interesting opportunity - use this setting to support the free basic version of the game. Either publish it with a printed version of the basic rules in a deluxe boxed set or put up the setting material for free to go with the free basic PDF)

DM_

First Post
Above all a redo of Red Steel and the Savage Coast of Mystara. Spent much of my teenage RP experience staving off the Red Curse. It would be nice to revisit.

MechaPilot

Explorer
My favorite settings, which I would naturally like to see for 5e, are Ravenloft, Planescape, Spelljammer, and D20 Modern's Urban Arcana; Ravenloft is my favorite, but the other three are tied for second place.

Of course, I'd also love to see something new. One thing that I was tossing around for a while was a setting loosely based on the show Korgoth of Barbaria (you can catch the pilot on Youtube). There are elements throughout the pilot that indicate that our civilization (or one of our general tech level) existed and suffered an apocalypse of some sort that sent everything back to medieval times (with magic and monsters appearing as well): the wizard in the pilot episode actually uses a stick of chewing gum as a material component for a spell.

There are also settings that I don't care for (Dark Sun and Forgotten Realms), settings that I have no attachment to because I haven't tried them (Greyhawk and Birthright), and settings that I am largely ambivalent about, but the truth is that I want to see them all. Settings are usually good stuff that are full of flavor and interesting ideas.

SpaceOtter

Drifting in otter space
I want MAX MAX D&D!
dwarf_biker_by_mikefaille-d4ihf80.jpg

Remove ads