Star Wars What I Would Have Done

Savage was trained by the night sisters at male zabrak school and came from a dark side culture. His abilities were enganced by Mother Talzim and the he was apprentice to Mail who was a Sith Lord.

Rey was a good pilot but without any explaination. Sure things are rushed but it was established Luke was a pilot before he joined the rebellion.

Finn used a lightsaber as well but he used it like a club. Rey is good at everything with no explanation. I a super hero movie sure but in most cases in canon you have to do training for force powers at least if you are any good. Untrained premonitions, minor telekinesis maybe, dreams etc sure. Using Jedi and Sith powers and a lightsaber erm derp. Luke was terrible with s lightsaber I. ANH although Obi guided him through it. Then he got more training and got the trained by Yoda t shirt.
Funny how you skipped Ventress.

Rey was a good pilot for the exact same reason Luke was a good pilot. And Anakin. And Flash Gordon for that reason.
Because they were all larger than life mythic heroes.

Luke and Anakin couldn't. One of them was the chosen one. It's boring more than anything. If Rey steamrolls Kylo eh it's been done.
Which is an excuse. It's a justification forgive them for stuff you're considering a deal breaker for Rey. Despite the fact the reason they were competent has 0% to do with the prophecy and 100% to do with them being protagonists. Look, just be honest with yourself. You clearly have a serious hang-up with Rey. The sooner you admit why you have a problem with her the sooner you can get on with your life. And the more likely you will enjoy Episode IX and Rian Johnson's forthcoming trilogy.

Yep, the Mary-Sue archetype is new but still good.
???The term dates back to fanfiction from 1973. And was satirising unrealistic characters, which was a trope even then. But characters that fit the key traits of being a Gary/Mary sue are hundreds of years old. You can find examples in Victorian fiction from the 1850s.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Huh. Luke is a farm hand. Never fought anyone. Probably never did more than fly in a couple of fairly non-dangerous races, maybe. Certainly wasn't eking out a survival in a hostile environment.

Yet, without any formal training, is one of the greatest fighter pilots around. And fantastic gunner of said fighter ships. Considering he'd never actually been off world before, how exactly did he learn to fly fighters? Especially the most advanced fighters around with an X-Wing? It's like expecting a crop duster to be able to fly an F-15.

But, hey, that's perfectly fine. No problem. Crack shot, expert pilot, engineer, all learned while farming. :uhoh:

And Rey's the Mary Sue? Really? This is where we're going to draw the line? That she manages to fight off Kylo Ren after he's seriously injured and bleeding all over the place? Or we're hung up because some kid can force move a broom and that totally breaks canon?

Blarg?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Huh. Luke is a farm hand. Never fought anyone. Probably never did more than fly in a couple of fairly non-dangerous races, maybe. Certainly wasn't eking out a survival in a hostile environment.

Yet, without any formal training, is one of the greatest fighter pilots around. And fantastic gunner of said fighter ships. Considering he'd never actually been off world before, how exactly did he learn to fly fighters? Especially the most advanced fighters around with an X-Wing? It's like expecting a crop duster to be able to fly an F-15.

But, hey, that's perfectly fine. No problem. Crack shot, expert pilot, engineer, all learned while farming. :uhoh:

And Rey's the Mary Sue? Really? This is where we're going to draw the line? That she manages to fight off Kylo Ren after he's seriously injured and bleeding all over the place? Or we're hung up because some kid can force move a broom and that totally breaks canon?

Blarg?

Remember when Luke went up against Vader in the New Hope and defeated him in a Light Saber duel?

Me neither.

Zardnaar

Legend
Funny how you skipped Ventress.

Rey was a good pilot for the exact same reason Luke was a good pilot. And Anakin. And Flash Gordon for that reason.
Because they were all larger than life mythic heroes.

I was at work and ran out of time. Ventress fits the pattern I am talking about. She had Jedi training and then was trained as a dark acolyte by Dooku a former Jedi master and a Sith Lord.

Zardnaar

Legend

Blarg?

Star Wars different than RL, civilians have flying cars things like T-16 Skyhoppers which have controls similar to an X-Wing. In ANH it was established Luke was a pilot, could shoot womp rats, and "had to much of his father in him". There is also precedent IRL as well if you could drive a truck you would probably find driving a Sherman tank similar.

A star wars truck is a light freighter, being a pilot is a lot more common in their universe than ours.

Reys not even that annoying her character has been somewhat badly portrayal. Shes less annoying than Jar Jar and Anakin in TPM and Anakin in AoTC.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Remember when Luke went up against Vader in the New Hope and defeated him in a Light Saber duel?

Me neither.

Anakin defeated Dooku as well IIRC as well in AoTC.

The one main tweak I would have made is Rey losing to Kylo or giving her a tweaked back story (which I think she needs anyway).

If Kylo is loosly based off Jacen Solo in Legends I would have based her off Jaina maybe Mara Jade. Luke was fairly restrained in most of the legends material but they weren't allowed to kill him off and they often sidestepped around his powers either with force dampening creatures, star, or he retreated into the back ground due to iot wasn't his destiny to kill Jacen (and he feared falling to the darkside).

Luke got a dark side point in ESB and RoTJ in RPG terms, they played up the temptation.

Rey could have met Ahsoka Tano in TFA and then got the trained by Luke T-shirt in TLJ. They don't need a massive amount of world building IMHO but something would be nice. I owuld have used as female protagonist myself for the simple reason its something we hadn't seen before. The female Jedi were back ground characters for the most part, legends was full of them (and Sith Ladies). Its one thing Legends did better IMHO than even the prequels.

I have a post Endor game and I'll have a Sith Sisterhood via a secret apprentice of Darth Maul before Obi Wan Killed him. I'll let the PCs defeat 2 of them but the rule of two will no longer apply so the master is still out there. They had a Brotherhood of Darkness, the men keep failing (including the rule of two). I'll borrow the One Sith idea from legacy and tweak it.

Last edited:

Remove ads