Hollow's Last Hope [OOC]

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
CHARACTER CREATION RULES

1. First Level Characters

2. 32 Point Buy for ability scores.

3. Maximum hit points at first level. We will use fixed hit point advancement for future level ups.

4. Maximum gold by class to start, but please spend it. The maximum amount of money any one can start with as the game opens is 20 gold pieces.

5. For any source other than what is found in the SRD, please annotate your character sheet so that I can know what the feat/spell/class ability/whatever does generally, in case I do not have immediate access to a book in question.

6. Please put on your character sheets a section for 'Tactics'. This should just be a brief idea of how your PC approaches combats and some basic things you think they will do on a normal basis. This is to help me run your PC in a combat, if you are absent for some reason.

7. A picture of your PC is not required, but is strongly encouraged. There's lots of good artwork available all over the web.

HOUSE RULES & EXPECTATIONS

**I expect everyone to have fun with this game, and to do his/her best to make sure everyone else has fun too. Conflicts between PCs are fine, but please make sure these issues do not become big conflicts between players, as this rapidly ruins the enjoyment factor for everyone. Likewise, if there is any issue with the DM...a question about a ruling, or a suggestion for how the game can be improved...feel free to bring it my attention in a kind way. I'm not a powermonger, I see my role as facilitator, not as adversary. I'm certainly open to suggestions and corrections, so long as things remain friendly and constructive.

**I should be able to post on average about once per day. I expect the players to be able to post on a regular basis as well. This is the way the game keeps moving, and doesn't stagnate (the kiss of death for PbP). If you must miss some time due to illness, vacation, burnout, whatever, I just ask to be informed. If more than 2-3 days have passed, I reserve the right to step in and NPC your character for the sake of keeping the game moving. Any player that does not post for more than two weeks without informing me, is subject to being removed from the game (and his PC meeting a gruesome fate! :] )

**Please note that I need the players to help me drive the game forward. Here's what I mean by that. I have observed games where, when facing a crossroads, the characters discuss several options, but never actually state that they are undertaking any of those options. Delays ensue, requiring the DM to prod the players to do something. Posting this:

Krunk suggests, "Hey guys, I think we should go down the left passage!"

is not the same as posting this:

Krunk holds his torch aloft and leads the way down the left passage.

The latter advances the game, the former does not. Now, by all means, roleplay your characters, discuss options, etc. Just realize that PC actions are what will allow the game to move forward...not talking about PC actions.

**It is important to me that the players actively keep their character sheets up to date. If you pick something up, note it on the sheet. If you cast a spell, note it on the sheet. Very outdated character sheets are a major pet peeve, because I will be referring to them as well...I will not be keeping my own records separately.

**Please choose a color for your PC that is dark-background friendly, and post dialogue in that color. I will do the same for major NPCs. Please post in third-person present tense (e.g.,'Krunk attacks the goblin.' NOT 'Krunk attacked the goblin' and NOT 'I attack the goblin.')

**Handy reminders of skill modifiers, attack and damage numbers, and so forth, are always welcome...encouraged, even. Anything that saves me the time of having to go back to refer to your character sheet = goodness. :D

**Leveling up will happen mid-adventure when applicable. I know this is not the most realistic way to handle things, but it definitely is the most fun. Multi-classing or entry into Prestige Classes must be cleared through the DM before being allowed. In most cases, I will consider past role-playing very seriously before making these allowances, especially if the new class is very different from the old. Classes which require much academic study or intense spiritual discipline (wizard, cleric, monk, paladin come to mind) will be more difficult to get approved without supporting role-playing.

**The DM will handle all dice rolling. Please just let me know if you want me to resolve a skill check, ability check, or anything else for you.

**I also have a few house rules that serve to minimize bookkeeping, a major hassle in this format, I believe. As follows:

First, I will not keep track of normal ammunition for this game. Buy some arrows or sling bullets to start if applicable, and then we won't worry about it. This does not apply to javelins, darts, or the like, nor to magical ammo. We will just assume that most of the normal ammunition is recoverable after the battle ends.

Second, unless the party is trapped in a situation where food and water is scarce, I will not track provisions either. It is assumed the characters have a little money stashed away for mundane food, drink, and lodgings so I won't ask you to deduct money for these things unless something is purchased in excess. If you're going away from civilization, carry a few rations, and I'm good.

Third, I will not track encumbrance too closely, as long as the load is kept reasonable. If your equipment list looks sensible, no worries. If you try to lug around five suits of armor, three full chests of gold, and a lifesize statue of Orcus, then penalties will certainly be applied. Mostly, though, we'll just rely on common sense.

Fourth, I tend to be pretty soft on identifying magical items. My preference is that you get to use the fun stuff you find, not having to stash it away in your pack until scrounging up enough cash for that identify spell. Often, some skill checks and experimentation will be enough for me to tell you what you've got.

As more houserules and thoughts come up, I will post them here. :)

Last edited:

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
Hi guys!

Welcome to the OOC thread for Hollow's Last Hope! Please check out the first post carefully, if you haven't already done so. I am more than happy to discuss any questions or concerns you may have about my expectations and rules. Speak now or forever hold your peace, and all that. ;)

Please get cracking on your character sheets asap, as I expect that the PDF of the adventure will be available soon...I'm hoping Monday. My print copy should arrive next week as well. That means we can get started with this game in a fairly short time, if all the sheets get done quickly. Does anyone think they can't get it done by next Friday, June 29th? Let's call that the tentative deadline.

Any other comments, questions, or concerns? Just let me know!

Here's to a great game! Huzzah! :D

Insight

Adventurer
Should I go ahead and use the UA options I posted for Hakkara, or should I repost them here so you can take a look and decide?

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
Insight said:
Should I go ahead and use the UA options I posted for Hakkara, or should I repost them here so you can take a look and decide?
You can use those UA variants; I approved Hakkara under the assumption that you would. Since they are available in the SRD, there is no need to repost them. Have at it. :)

Azgulor

Adventurer
Thanks for including me in the game! I'll be working up the character sheet this weekend.

Really looking forward to the game.

Thanks,

Azgulor

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Indeed, I am grateful that you accepted me, as well. I already have most of Jebbo's sheet done, I should have it in the RG in a day or so. Well, happy adventuring, everybody!

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Oh, and as a quick question for Voadam: when you say that your class is the Dragon Adept, you mean the Dragonfire Adept from Dragon Magic, right? Just making sure that it isn't some sort of variant class, that's all.

YeOldeAlbatross

First Post
Nazhkandrias said:
Oh, and as a quick question for Voadam: when you say that your class is the Dragon Adept, you mean the Dragonfire Adept from Dragon Magic, right? Just making sure that it isn't some sort of variant class, that's all.
Nazh, my understanding is that he will be playing a Dragonfire Adept, yes. (That's what I had in mind when considering the character's role in the party, anyway). We'll allow Voadam to clarify for certain, however.

hero4hire

Explorer
Awesome! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to play. I was actually a bit surprised given the competition.

From everything I have seen of the Paizo stuff this should be a great game. :)

I will probably be able to get my sheet completed by tomorrow night.

Remove ads