D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Standing up from prone draws AoOs?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Pardon the very brief hijack, but I noticed that you live in Raleigh, Tellerve. I just wanted to be certain you were aware of the North Carolina Game Day coming up in August (check the link in my sig for details).

If you are interested, I hope you'll come. Meeting ENWorlders to game is always a good time.

Hypersmurf would come, but he lives on the other side of the planet AND can't teleport. Weak. ;)

Tellerve

Actually I just haven't updated that part of my profile as I'm currently in Asheville, NC. I'll look into the gaming thing, but I dunno if I can make it.

Tellerve

coyote6

Adventurer
Hypersmurf said:
Conjuration is one of my banned schools.

I could teleport, until yesterday... [grumble]

I suggest shaking your fist at the sky, while loudly proclaiming, "Curse you, Andy Collins!"

DWARF

First Post
Okay, but everyone DOES remember the whole "if you trip but fail, then your opponent gets to make a free trip attempt against you" right?

1. You take your munchkinned out Trip fighter with Longspear and try to trip a Hobgoblin charging you, you fail.
2. Hobgoblin also has Longspear and counter-trips your ass, since you failed the first one he gets a free trip attempt
3. Hobgoblin then takes his full attack on your prone body.
4. You get up, he gets another AoO on you, does damage.
5. You do another straight attack, do some damage at last.
6. You take a 5 foot step back, so you can get that AoO again.
7. He takes a 5 foot step forward, denying your AoO and full attacks your ass.
8. You try a trip attempt, again failing, he gets a counter-trip, makes it.
9. You have to get up again, he AoO's you.... etc, etc.

So if your "I trip him and then whale on him, over and over!" doesn't work the first time, or any subsequent time, you might be in a bad spot.

Spatula

Explorer
Why would a "munchkinned out Trip fighter" be using a longspear? A dedicated tripper would be using a reach weapon that provides a bonus to trip attempts, like a ranseur or a spiked chain. With Improved Trip, that's a +6 to trips on top of your Strength bonus. If the trip fails, you can drop the weapon and proceed with normal combat - the target doesn't get to try and trip you back unless you hold on to the weapon.

DWARF

First Post
Okay fine, you drop your weapon, then the Hobgoblin proceeds to charge you, now with a +4 Bonus since you're not weilding a melee weapon.

I figure, the solution to this is not to keep up the stupid idea that getting up doesn't cause an AoO, what it should be is disallow trip attempts as AoO's.

"But," you say "when someone runs passed you, doesn't it makes sense for you to be able to stick your Ranseur out and try to trip him?" Sure, but it also "makes sense" for getting up from prone to incur an AoO... so where do we draw the line?

DWARF

First Post
Sorry, more long-term house rules getting in the way. Rule is if you don't have a melee weapon or shield out you have no real way to defend yourself, so you get a +4 against you. Anything you would have parried with you weapon or avoided a blow because you were threatening your opponent, is gone. Monk's or people with Improved Unarmed Strike of course get passes this, but what is your local farmer going to do if he can't even bat at you with a rake? Put his hands up to protect himself?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
[Warning: This post contains sarcasm.]
hong said:
Did it somehow escape your attention that hold person, harm and disintegrate all got nerfed in 3.5E?
Wow, I did not notice, now every single mechanism for bypassing HP is gone (except tripping right). I am sure these spells were changed not because they were overpowered or potentially game breaking but because they did not fit the new core gaming philosophy that HP attrition is the only righteous path to victory.

Remove ads