D&D 5E 5e Magic+Melee:- Single Class Solutions versus Multiclassing

NerfedWizard

First Post
Paladins and rangers get spellcasting at level 2.

Still, I see your point. Paladins and rangers get extra spell slots every other level, like the multiclass rule would suggest. But they're getting the bump at the odd levels; if their progression matched the multiclassing rule, they would be getting their spellcasting bump on the even levels. Interestingly, EK and Arcane Trickster do the same thing, getting their spell bump at 4, 7, 10, etc., when the multiclass progression suggests they should get it at 6, 9, 12, etc. Basically, partial casters get their spellcasting level rounded UP.

This, on top of the fact that a 20th level Eldritch Knight has basically the spellcasting abilities of a 6th level wizard while still being a 20th level fighter.

What is the stronger build:-
Multiclassed 14th level Fighter (not EK) + 6th level Wizard versus 20th level Eldritch Knight
Multiclassed 10th level Cleric + 10th level Fighter (not EK) versus 20th level Paladin
Multiclassed 10th level Fighter (not EK) + 10th level Druid versus 20th level Ranger

I don't know the answer to this yet but I can't help but suspect that the single-classed types are going to win hands down (though not by the same ridiculous margins as in 3rd edition). Also because of the way multiclassing works it may help if the multiclassed characters start off as Fighter (to get heavy armour proficiency), at least if their other class doesn't restrict the armour they can wear (druids?).

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
This, on top of the fact that a 20th level Eldritch Knight has basically the spellcasting abilities of a 6th level wizard while still being a 20th level fighter.
7th level wizard, actually. Note they get 4th level spells at 19th level. 4th level spells are for 7th level full casters. It's a consequence of the "rounding up" I noted.

What is the stronger build:-
Multiclassed 14th level Fighter (not EK) + 6th level Wizard versus 20th level Eldritch Knight
Multiclassed 10th level Cleric + 10th level Fighter (not EK) versus 20th level Paladin
Multiclassed 10th level Fighter (not EK) + 10th level Druid versus 20th level Ranger
Tough to say, but personally I'd go Fighter 11/Cleric or Druid 9, to get that 3rd attack. Not that I personally worry about the efficacy of 20th level builds. I'm more concerned that a Fighter 11 matches up well with a Fighter 6/Wizard 5.

NerfedWizard

First Post
7th level wizard, actually. Note they get 4th level spells at 19th level. 4th level spells are for 7th level full casters. It's a consequence of the "rounding up" I noted.

Ah yes! I am bookless at the moment.

Not that I personally worry about the efficacy of 20th level builds. I'm more concerned that a Fighter 11 matches up well with a Fighter 6/Wizard 5.

Good point. In fact I think the comparison best combining ease of comparison and usefulness is probably Fighter (Champion) 7 / Wizard 4 versus Fighter (Eldritch Knight) 11. Though I am bookless at the moment (book is with intending DM), I think I am right in saying that these two characters have the same base spell slots and that the EK is mid-way through having 4th level wizard casting, so this is the fairest point of comparison.

Let's suppose we have Bert the Fighter (Champion) 7 / Wizard 4 and Ernie the Fighter (Eldritch Knight) 11.

Presumably Bert picks classes by level in this order (F = Fighter, W = Wizard):-
F F W W F F W F F W F

I imagine taking average hitpoints that Bert has 57 base hitpoints and Ernie has 65 base hitpoints (and better hitdice). Since Bert started as a Fighter he has base Fighter proficiencies.

Since I am bookless is there anyone out there who fancies completing the builds so we can see how they compare? Using the same stat array for each build, in whichever order is optimal for that build.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
The EK gets very few spells known (13) and only 4 of them can be outside of the schools of evocation and abjuration, so I don't think the EK 20 is really going to compare favorably to a fighter/wizard combo or an straight oath of vengeance paladin 20 (which I would gladly take over a fighter/cleric multiclass any day).

NerfedWizard

First Post
How many spells known does a Paladin get again?

I am bookless right now but I thought from reading the rules a few days ago it was half level (rd) + ability mod (min 1).

That's 13 at 20th with an ability of 16 right?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
How many spells known does a Paladin get again?

I am bookless right now but I thought from reading the rules a few days ago it was half level (rd) + ability mod (min 1).

That's 13 at 20th with an ability of 16 right?
Yep, paladins can prepare 1/2 paladin level + Cha Mod, round down, min 1.

Interestingly, rangers aren't prepared casters, they have a spells known column like sorcerers and bards.

Remove ads