[Adventure] Rhapsody Part 2 (Judge: renau1g)

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Why won't smack- this thing -smack- give up! -smack- Christina shouts, trying unsuccessfully to break through the troll's thick skin with her staff.

[sblock=action]
Standard:Tending Strike vs troll

crit miss.
[/sblock]

Narvala throws yet another bolt of radiant energy at the troll, her frustration hurting her accuracy.

Determined to do something useful, she gathers her willpower and tries again, this time managing to inflict at least some damage.

"You can't win, you know."
She says.

[sblock=actions]minor: sustain wall of light
standard: sun strike vs troll sun strike atk; dmg (+1 holy gauntlets) (1d20+12=13, 1d8+8=9)
free: use action point
action point: sun strike vs troll sun strike atk (+3 action surge); dmg (+1 holy gauntlets) (1d20+15=23, 1d8+8=11)[/sblock]

Cairn returns to his mechanical hewing of the troll. No longer calling on the spirits of winter, mountains or earth, he simply cleaves into the beast, without rest, fatigue or slowing down.

He moves in the middle of the great doors and glances inside for any further threats.

GM: Just a reminder, those aren't doors. That troll smashed through the wall of the warehouse. Though the language works anyway, and is cool.

Cairn peers into the now open warehouse. It appears to be a large artificiers workshop, with several tables and benches, housing vials and beakers linked with tubes. Numerous crates are stacked on one side, with torches still burning though not a soul can be seen.

[sblock=Actions]
Standard: Weight of Earth vs Troll; damage (1d20+11+1+2=30, 1d10+5+4+2=20) - Troll is slowed TENT
Move: shift to K3, gain +1 AC & Ref
Minor: Perception (1d20+11=18)
[/sblock]

Nyar tries to avoid blasting Cairn but unfortunately catches Pooh with the blast this time.

The wizard looks apologetically to the big, scary bear.

[sblock=actions]
Standard: Scorching Burst at L-5 vs. Troll (reflex), Pooh: 1d20+11 → [17,11] = (28), 1d20+11 → [14,11] = (25) Both hit again.
Damage: 16 damage to Troll, 15 to Pooh (sorry Luinnar!) Roll.

[/sblock]

The flame flickers at the trolls feet and suddenly his pool of blood alights! Flames roar up his body and through his veins. The troll gives a mighty bellow and then cuts out, having no more air to spill from his lungs. He collapses into the tent to his right, adding more tinder to his sudden funeral pyre.

[sblock=ACTION]
Map

You are out of initiative. From here on in there is no threat of combat. RP freely.

Initiative
Better than 5 = You Guys (You may act in any order)
Narvalla 45/50 hp 5 thp
Christina 41/45 hp
Pooh 0/22
Rabberta 22/22 +5 thp
Owlotta 22/22
Nyar 25/41 hp +1 thp
Cairn 39/84 hp

5 = Bad Guys
Sniper 1 29/63 hp, R 18 Bloodied, Ran Away
Sniper 2 27/63 hp, R 18 Bloodied, Ran Away
Troll - -2/400 hp, AC 21, F 22, R 18, Marked by Cairn, Dead, marked, Slowed TENT
[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
Nyar steps forward out of Narvala's divine light smiling.

"Well, how about that, we didn't get eaten by a giant troll. We need to see about finding out who these villians were and if this is the same operation as before."

Nyar, if not assisted by his comrades, rifles through the slain for paperwork or identification. Then, the scarred wizard examines the contents of the building (Arcana if needed).

"Any idea if we can get a word to the inspector?"

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Cairn doesn't look through papers, he's more concerned about physical threats.
"We expected more then single troll even drugged as he was. Leaders are probably far away already. Once the arena spectacle was busted, the operation was finished."

OOC: I really did expect more difficulty in the last fight, in my estimation kenku and falling were more dangerous. And that was an excellent idea, by the way. Was there any way to avoid it? Either initial trap or to resolve falling in some less hurtful manner?

Neurotic

Cairn doesn't look through papers, he's more concerned about physical threats.
"We expected more then single troll even drugged as he was. Leaders are probably far away already. Once the arena spectacle was busted, the operation was finished."

OOC: I really did expect more difficulty in the last fight, in my estimation kenku and falling were more dangerous. And that was an excellent idea, by the way. Was there any way to avoid it? Either initial trap or to resolve falling in some less hurtful manner? Excellent adventure, ScorpiusRisk! Too bad you got married :p (sorry couldn't resist)

EDIT: editing creates new post ?! Test.
EDIT EDIT: seems not, probably a glitch in posting (maybe I posted initial post twice?)

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
"I would hope we can find the inspector again." Narvala said. "But for now let me help you with that." She says, looking for papers and other clues with Nyar. (Arcana, Perception, or Insight if needed)
[sblock=actions]Assuming searching doesn't count as strenuous activity, dismiss the Wall of Light and take a short rest.[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
A quick look at the burning carcass of the troll reveals no pockets to keep paperwork. Going through the gentlemen who first met you in the market also shows no proper papers, not too surprising for hired thugs and layabouts. They may have more to say after they awake in a jail cell.

Rifling through the little paperwork that you find inside the warehouse, points to several small shops that got separate deliveries throughout the city. It looks like they were having materials sent to several places and then porting things here.

OOC: No method of pre-empting the Falling Encounter was given, though I certainly would have allowed it to be circumvented if PCs were clever.

Three different endings were planned, depending on how many rounds it took to complete the villains.

"If the PCs can defeat their adversaries within 4 rounds they will have enough free fall time to guide themselves into a luxury airship’s pool, saving them from death.

If the PCs can defeat their enemies within 8 rounds they will have enough free fall time to guide themselves into a private waste removal truck, saving them from death.

Otherwise, they die, going splat against the ground. They are revived by actual House Jorasco members, who recognized Dalvach’s travel papers"

The troll bloodcrazer was designed pre-mm3. He was originally a solo encounter.

Luinnar

First Post
That was fun! Christina says happily sitting the what is left of the troll. Now we have to find the baddies and bring them to um...swift justice! Yeah, that is what adventurerers do! she shouts.

OOC: Sorry for the lack of posting this week, I've been working overtime and have not had much free time. I'll be working regular hours in the future, so I'll be able to post more regularly.

FourMonos

First Post
After finding, unfortunately, no clues on the bodies, Nyar steps carefully into the building proper, searching for any clues or signs for the location of the Rhapsody's kingpin location.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
OOC: So I was looking to close this thread out but I can't figure out how much XP you all need. According to your sheets you last got XP at different times but not from me. I would have sworn I granted you all XP at one point. Then again, are these characters moving on to another adventure?

Neurotic

KarinsDad gave us some XP I believe. He did defer treasure to the end though and since you didn't give Cairn 7th level he has two parcels to get (and maybe third if we level up to 9th)

As far as I know there aren't any new adventures unless you make one :)

Remove ads