D&D Movie/TV Benedict Cumberbatch Joining D&D Movie?

According to The Sun, Benedict Cumberbatch is joining Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Rege-Jean...

According to The Sun, Benedict Cumberbatch is joining Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Rege-Jean Page, Hugh Grant and others in 2023's D&D movie.

Benedict-Cumberbatch-Sherlock-.jpg

He was in the The Hobbit trilogy as Smaug, the dragon, and is well known as Sherlock Holmes in Sherlock. More recently he narrated an animated short about a Drizzt.

teitan

Legend
But he shouldn't be allowed to play a wizard, because Hollywood contracts asks some actors not to play "rip-off" of famous characters. For example Gillian Adensorn couldn't roleplay "Hannibal" because the agent Clarice Starling was too close to Diana Scully.
That's not true. Some actors have clauses like that for themselves but it's not a rule.

Non-compete clauses are actually illegal in California. I don't know if that was statutory or a judicial decision, but I work in California, and our workplace insists we can't work for a competitor, and everyone openly says "OK, thank you for saying that" and smirks.
Yeah I was under the impression they might be, and I knew they were at least frowned-upon there but couldn't remember if they were totally out.

In the UK they're hellishly difficult to enforce unless they're very specific and pretty short-term, and generally only acceptable even then in extremely highly-paid jobs where market intelligence is vital.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
counterpoint - The Rock's reality TV shows and sitcom based on his life
I think most of those were in motion (and likely contracted to) well before Moana and the Jumanji movies came out and made everyone reevaluate him. (Seriously, the people who haven't see him in Jumanji need to. It's a shock when the Rock and Jack Black do genuinely great acting, but there it is, in a kid's movie that a lot of people wrote off as an unnecessary sequel.)

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
Oh, please Please PLEASE give him the opportunity to go full Jeremy Irons... I can only bet he can chew scenery such as god has never seen :)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I think most of those were in motion (and likely contracted to) well before Moana and the Jumanji movies came out and made everyone reevaluate him. (Seriously, the people who haven't see him in Jumanji need to. It's a shock when the Rock and Jack Black do genuinely great acting, but there it is, in a kid's movie that a lot of people wrote off as an unnecessary sequel.)
The plot for that movie also is a pretty standard D&D adventure, besides the whole "getting sucked into a video game" thing. Get a MacGuffin, keep it away from the villain, take down some nameless enemies in the meantime, and you've got a D&D adventure!

Remove ads

Remove ads