Blizzard at Revel's End (OOC) Temporary Hiatus

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
@Snarf Zagyg great choice of an uncommon item.

@FitzTheRuke Just confirming that you're fine leaving the Hermit Discovery fluid at this time. I am content to be surprised by it, if you like, or we can discuss offlist (DM or whatever). If you want me to adjust the extra language (from Goblin) that's also fine, or to a gambling tool if there is a game that the prisoners regularly play.

I'd also like to spend my only 5gp on a leatherworker's tool kit, if that's okay.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@Snarf Zagyg great choice of an uncommon item.

@FitzTheRuke Just confirming that you're fine leaving the Hermit Discovery fluid at this time. I am content to be surprised by it, if you like, or we can discuss offlist (DM or whatever). If you want me to adjust the extra language (from Goblin) that's also fine, or to a gambling tool if there is a game that the prisoners regularly play.

I'd also like to spend my only 5gp on a leatherworker's tool kit, if that's okay.

Well, someone ought to speak Reghedjic (the language of the glacial human nomadic tribes). Leatherworker's tool kit is fine. Who needs money?. Hermit Discovery? I'll think about it. So yeah, let's leave it for now.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Number 6, you say, hmm?

Oh oh. You changing your character idea? (I was expecting a newly-arrived Wizard friend of the Warden's - either staff or guest).

....but I don't like to tell people what to play. (Y'know, whenever possible). You go ahead and do what you like, but getter done!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm going to tell you about something that's going to become pertinent right away once we get started:

In an IRL game, I'd probably let a scene play out as it goes along, using the fact that we can do quick back-and-forth to allow me to ask for skill checks whenever they are relevant to whatever it is you're trying to do. On the other hand, PBP already takes forever to run anything at all, so I've come up with a little thing I call an "x skill scene" - where x is the number of skills you'll roll checks for. (I guess you could say it's a little like a skill challenge from 4e, but not quite the same mechanically).

It works like this:

1) I'll define a broad scenario or goal as to what the scene is about. (The Macro Scene).
2) I'll chose a number of skill checks I'd like to see play out (Chose an X)
3) I'll provide some examples as to what kind of skills I can imagine (and what I imagine they would do in the scene). Sometimes they will pertain to specific tasks I can imagine would be involved in the broader goal.
4) You can pick from my example skill rolls, or come up with something on your own using the guidelines I set out.
5) You'll post a little descriptive telling me what your character is attempting and your skill rolls, but don't go too far into the results (positive or negative) - leave that up to me.

Notes:
a) I probably won't share the DCs of any of the tasks with you, unless you really want me to.
b) I'd prefer it if you don't just roll the same skills or your best skills over and over again.
c) Failure should be fun. To me, the result of failure on any given skill check is that something interesting happens. Constant success is boring. Don't sweat it if you roll like crap.
d) On the other hand, super-high rolls can be fun too. I usually try to make that cause cool things to happen too.

I don't know if any of that makes sense yet. I'd give an example, but the example in my head currently directly corresponds to our first scene, and I'd like to set the stage for it first. I might find time for that tomorrow....

FitzTheRuke

Legend
You picked Number Six subliminally then, perhaps.

Naw, it's in the adventure that number six is the lowest-numbered prisoner (it doesn't say anything about who he is). I just failed to get the joke. (I'm entirely aware of the old show, but I'm not sure if I've ever actually seen it).

It is worth seeing. That doesn't mean it is the greatest show ever. But it had such influence on people that knowing it is worth it. I'm ambivalent about it over all. I think it could have been better. It took itself seriously and yet there's a level of camp as well.

So the adventure author must have known.

Svirfneblins mature at 25 and live around 275 years. I'm thinking my wizard, Lex, is around 150 years old. Traveling up north is his mid-life crisis. I'm hoping to write Lex as exotic but who knows how that will go once the dialog starts.

Remove ads