Blueholme: A Simulacrum

Dreamscape

Crafter of fine role-playing games
I was just going to compile an errata document for the Holmes Basic Rules, but it assumed a will of its own and became a retro clone ...

Blueholme: A Simulacrum Dreamscape Design

Dragonsfoot • View topic - [Holmes] Blueholme: a Simulacrum

blueholme_prentice_cover_small.jpg

Last edited:

Vile

First Post
Just a quick update:

The text for both the Blueholme Prentice Rules and the introductory module "The Maze of Nuromen" is done, it's now all down to editing and layout and finishing off the maps in Photoshop. I've still got my eye firmly fixed on that Christmas release. The Maze of Nuromen is based on the excellent Holmes dungeon of the same name by J.B. of The Forbidden Mazes of the Jennerak. I've made some changes, mainly to the layout of the rooms and to bring the monsters in line with Blueholme Prentice Rules, but the content is largely the same. Here's a raw of the new map for level 1 as a teaser:

Maze of Nuromen Level 1 Small by viletraveller, on Flickr

Dreamscape

BLUEHOLME™ Prentice Rules Available Now - Free!

The BLUEHOLME™ Prentice Rules are finished and available free of charge from DTRPG and RPGNow. Get your copy while they're hot!

darjr

I crit!
Got it! Thanks!

You say it started as an errata of homes edition does it differ from the homes edition because of that errata?

oh and a link would be awesome.

Dreamscape

I don't think I have the post count yet to allow me to post links, but just search for "Blueholme" on DTRPG or RPGNow and you'll find it right away. Googling "Blueholme" and "Dreamscape Design" will also take you to my website with the links.

Yes, there are some small differences - for example, movement rates. Movement rates came into OD&D via Chainmail, which had two movement actions per turn. Holmes got it right for player characters by doubling the old movement rates to give the correct movement-per-turn, but the monsters didn't - with the unfortunate result that monsters moved half as fast as characters. This was actually exacerbated in later editions, which took the half movement rates and applied them to characters as well as monsters. If you've ever wondered why everyone in D&D moves so slowly, this is why!

Another error in Holmes was the use of weapon speed without counterbalances like differential damage or reach. If all weapons do 1d6 damage but daggers get to attack twice a round while heavy weapons like pole arms attack every other round - well, everyone uses daggers. This rule was simply dropped from the Prentice Rules, although Compleat will include an optional rule for weapon speed with differential damage.

But, on the whole, the point of BLUEHOLME is to cleave as closely as possible to the original mechanics and intent of the Blue Book, so you won't find any major changes that are not related to either errata or clarification. Anyway, it's free, so go and download a copy!

Dreamscape

And here it is: the free introductory adventure, the Maze of Nuromen, is available from DTRPG and RPGNow (just search for Blueholme or Dreamscape).

blueholme_maze_cover_1s.png

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases