Candlekeep Mysteries (OOC Chat)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Hypothetically...

If someone (the absent Jaeger? another?) wanted to HELP maintain the grapple, would they need to be proficient in Athletics?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hypothetically...

If someone (the absent Jaeger? another?) wanted to HELP maintain the grapple, would they need to be proficient in Athletics?

Not that I know of. Proficiency in this case just makes you hit higher dcs. (Or if you mean literally "Help" (the Action) still no. They'd give you advantage on your next roll just by I dunno, diving on the thing's back, or whatever. It might be suicide, though...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm not 100% on Croc Jon's unarmed combat abilities. Did he do any damage when he succeeded on the Grapple? I think he should have, but I don't remember seeing it. Also, I assume that the only condition he's got on the Bulette (so far) is "grappled" (which IS pretty good, considering that it has a pretty powerful attack that requires movement, and being grappled, its speed is zero). Doesn't stop it from biting him, though, as we've seen to horrible effect.

Ethian will probably want to either get Broun to stop the coach again, or hop off the back, or he'll be pulled far enough away next round that he won't replenish THPs.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
no damage -- though he will do 1d4+4 at the start of his turn automatically. He's not attacked the Bullette yet, just grabbed on to stop it moving. The fact that we achieved no damage on it in the first round is worrying, though.

You are right that the only condition is grappled. Some would argue that he could drop prone and take the bullette with him. I didn't do that because that would have given the bulette advantage on an attack on me this round, and anyone attacking at range would have disadv) but if you'd allow it (Jn drops prone as his move, takes bullette with him) he will get advantage on attacks this round. I doubt that would be enough to save him though -- I fear he will be going down his first round in combat!

:p

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The Bulette does much more damage than I imagined. I don't think I've run them in 5e before.

no damage -- though he will do 1d4+4 at the start of his turn automatically. He's not attacked the Bullette yet, just grabbed on to stop it moving. The fact that we achieved no damage on it in the first round is worrying, though.

You are right that the only condition is grappled. Some would argue that he could drop prone and take the bullette with him. I didn't do that because that would have given the bulette advantage on an attack on me this round, and anyone attacking at range would have disadv) but if you'd allow it (Jn drops prone as his move, takes bullette with him) he will get advantage on attacks this round. I doubt that would be enough to save him though -- I fear he will be going down his first round in combat!

:p

I definitely DON'T subscribe to that dropping prone stuff. I mean, I'm a "sure, whatever"- style DM, so if you like it, go for it, but it sounds foolish to me. (I mean, I can imagine if you win a grapple you can throw yourself and your opponent prone. It's a 'sacrifice throw' that I've IRL trained to do, but I'm not sure why you'd WANT to in this case). You'd both have disadvantage AND advantage and balance each other out. I guess it would give Kaliban (and Ruz, if he gets in there for melee) advantage. Is that the goal?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Fair enough -- as I said: "Some would argue...". And yes, that would be the goal (player could attack without adv, fall prone, and then others would have advantage vs the grappled foe.). I am not sure it helps in this case in any event. Don't worry. :D

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I'm not 100% on Croc Jon's unarmed combat abilities. Did he do any damage when he succeeded on the Grapple? I think he should have, but I don't remember seeing it. Also, I assume that the only condition he's got on the Bulette (so far) is "grappled" (which IS pretty good, considering that it has a pretty powerful attack that requires movement, and being grappled, its speed is zero). Doesn't stop it from biting him, though, as we've seen to horrible effect.

Ethian will probably want to either get Broun to stop the coach again, or hop off the back, or he'll be pulled far enough away next round that he won't replenish THPs.
Sorry, I missed that the coach was moving. He would have stepped out next to it instead. Can we still do that?
Thanks

sg

Remove ads