Candlekeep Mysteries (OOC Chat)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hey gang, sorry I've been absent so long. My family had a rough move into a new condo. Still unpacking, but I thought I'd get this game moving again if I can!

I know that the plan is to capture the creature, but I figured I'd put it into combat rounds, even if it winds up brief. Feel free to ask any questions or make any comments here.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey @FitzTheRuke

I just realized that Protection from Evil has a material component that is consumed: Holy water or powdered silver and iron

My character isn’t equipped with none of these things. Will it be possible to grind a metal object to get iron dust, or can I assume that he actually left with say enough for 10 castings?
Thanks and cheers,

sg

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Hey @FitzTheRuke

I just realized that Protection from Evil has a material component that is consumed: Holy water or powdered silver and iron

My character isn’t equipped with none of these things. Will it be possible to grind a metal object to get iron dust, or can I assume that he actually left with say enough for 10 castings?
Thanks and cheers,

sg
Yeah, I usually tend to assume that unless for some reason your gear is taken away, you've got a pouch with enough of that sort of thing to get by. I appreciate that as a player, you actually consider it!

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Hey @FitzTheRuke

Thanks and cheers,

sg
All of that is also bypassed by an Arcane Focus or component pouch anyway. Or holy symbol or whatever your casting gear is.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Only if it has a gold cost.
I’m not sure: Taken here. the second paragraph is pretty explicit…

Material (M)​

Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a spellcasting focus (found in “Equipment”) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell.

If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell. A spellcaster must have a hand free to access a spell's material components -- or to hold a spellcasting focus -- but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components

SG,

SG

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Okay, now that things are calming down around here, I'm gonna try to catch up on my games. Thanks for waiting for me.

I’m not sure: Taken here. the second paragraph is pretty explicit…

Material (M)...​

Interesting. It's pretty vague as to how to rule it if the component is consumed but does not have a cost listed. The spell says it consumes holy water or powdered silver and iron, but it doesn't have a cost listed nor does it imply "how much" of those things it consumes. Let's just say that Ethian has enough powdered silver and iron in his component pouch to cast the spell for the duration of this part of the adventure, and it's one of those things that he'd replace in town as part of his lifestyle expenses.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm going to move where I had Agenti because the last thing that @Leatherhead said before the creature teleported downstairs and tried to grab Shedrick was that she stayed behind to watch that the kid was safe. We'll say that she was halfway up the stairs (at the landing) and has come back down, but stayed out of Crock Jon and Kaliban's way.

Not that it matters a whole lot for this round...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Speaking of Argenti, I was looking to answer her question (As to if Shedrick is hurt) and I realize that I don't actually know. He took 6 points of damage, but my notes claim that he had 7 temp hit points. Unfortunately, I've left this game in limbo long enough that I don't remember how it works - that's Ethian's doing, right? Did he have those at the beginning of the fight? Also, am I correct that (unlike my round one post, which shows Croc Jon injured) everyone is long since healed up, right?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases