• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV Chris Pine is making $11.5 million for D&D movie

What I gathered from the article, if the studios are willing to pay money for actors then they're willing to pay money for special effects and think in the long term. The article ends with the caveat that a lot of money doesn't guarantee a good movie. Paying Chris Pine might be a good sign that they're rounding up other talented people. But who? I don't know.

I want to see a D&D movie that has the same world-shattering importance and action comedy of The Suicide Squad. That's usually what we think of when we talk about D&D. The heroes of D&D are closer to Harley Quinn and Peacemaker than a swordsman in Game of Thrones. D&D heroes slay titanic cosmic monsters with a spear, and laugh about it. At the same time, if they get stabbed in the heart they're dead. Hollywood can do it. I've seen it myself. Will they? The the hell knows?!

A good script is very important, but today there is not famous screenwritters but if they have worked in the comic industry.

Hercules&Xena weren't the highest budgets in their time, but they worked enough to become popular. I imagine something like "Jurasic World" but with more touchs of comedy.

And this movie is very important for Paramount Pictures, because the partnership deal with Hasbro will end in the next years. D&D in the right hands can be an important cash-cow, even with the same level of Star Wars or MCU, but they have to prove they are the right people to can renew the deal. I would bet Warner and Disney also wanted the D&D multiverse, al least to avoid this in the hands by a rival company.

Lyxen

Great Old One
While I agree that the salary is probably only important to show that there is budget behind the movie, and while I agree that the script is very important, I think the importance of likeable main characters is also critical. Whether Chris Pine and his colleagues will be able to do that is another question, as it really depends on the type of character that they are handled, it's also been the success of important movies franchises.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
You'd also pay me big money to go on a quest to find the Eye of Vecna! ;)

Seriously though, it's good sign of the magnitude of the budget they have, like many blockbusters.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Found something funny on IMDB:

1.jpg

Anyone wanting to complain about the script ? ;)

Oofta

Legend
The scene I'm looking forward to is that iconic one. The heroes are in a line, facing off against the evil no-goodnicks. There's wispy fog or smoke in the background, close ups of various enemies and allies. This is the big face off.

As the music swells, everyone on both sides yell a battle cry, charging forward in the penultimate battle as the camera floats up to a panoramic view and the slow motion starts. It's the penultimate fight that will determine the fate of the universe, at least until the next movie. As the forces charge towards each other, blood in their eyes a voice is heard "Okay everyone, roll for initiative." All the actors carefully dig out dice bags, clear off a spot of ground and roll a D20. The voice calls out again "Okay, let's see here, umm, Gorath the Destroyer what did you get?"

Epic D&D at it's finest. :)

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Today the famous actors aren't the best hook for the audence. The age of the superstarts ended. A good actor can add a lot of charisma for his character, but that is different. And Hollywood isn't the dream land any more. The people don't love it.
What was the last blockbuster that didn't have a big name actor? 18 of the top 20 films of all time came out in the past decade.

Remove ads