D&D 5E Cure Wounds needs help or Healing Word needs a nerf...

Gadget

Adventurer
You're not the first to notice that in combat healing is not as strong as incoming damage. I would think that is intended in the design, if in combat healing was stronger, it would put more focus on healing spells and their application to maximize combat potential...leading to the "Who's going to play the cleric?" syndrome. Granted, some players prefer that style of play, and you can get fairly close if you put your resources into it.

Personally, I prefer in combat healing being a bit less effective, as it fits the fantasy narrative I enjoy a little better.

As for HW vs CLW, you may have a point there on the comparison, but I would just like to note that in most past editions, healing took an action and was touch range as well. I would advise you to wait before adjusting the healing in the game. 5e is calibrated a little differently, and more classes get healing magic, not to mention things like Second Wind & Short Rests. There's also the alternate short rest rules in the DMG, making it 5 minutes. One of the reasons that short Rests in 5e are an hour long, imho, is to make it more of a hard choice of when to rest, whereas with 5 minute rests, it's pretty much after every encounter.

If you check average healing done, CW beats HW by a meager 2 hp. This is at the cost range and a possible attack with a cantrip. If you take the random way, CW does less than HW about 37.5% of the time (rolls 1-3). It means that the CW is superior or equal at 62.5%. These are pretty good odds if you ask me. The higher you upcast, the less randomness will kick in and CW will always be better. I don't think that cure wound is in a bad spot.

Zardnaar

Legend
Healing word could probably heal 1 hp and people would still use it due to bonus action.

Both are so anemic relative to incoming damage you don't really use them to heal. More to not die.

And that's where healing word wins.

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
We have one player who absolutely believes that Healing Word is superior to Cure Wounds every time. I heartily disagree, and usually have both if available, at least until higher levels where prepared spells become stretched out.

Healing Word is obviously meant for combat healing, especially to get someone up from 0 HP. The big benefit of that use is that the roll doesn't really matter, since the target is likely going back down in another hit anyway. Upcasting HW is really inefficient, however, since you quickly get to the point of diminishing returns (your ability modifier is usually equal to or better then the roll of a die).

Cure Wounds is useful outside of combat, or even in combat when upcast. It sucks to take an entire action to heal, so you want to get the maximum use out of it. Casting it as a 3rd or 4th level spell is a good option to get the party's primary damage dealer back in the battle, or to keep the tank holding the chokepoint.

NotAYakk

Legend
If you check average healing done, CW beats HW by a meager 2 hp. This is at the cost range and a possible attack with a cantrip. If you take the random way, CW does less than HW about 37.5% of the time (rolls 1-3). It means that the CW is superior or equal at 62.5%. These are pretty good odds if you ask me. The higher you upcast, the less randomness will kick in and CW will always be better. I don't think that cure wound is in a bad spot.
At 16 stat and a L1 slot, HW is 5.5 HP and CW is 7.5 HP, or 36% more, or 2 HP more.

A cantrip that has a 50-50 chance of landing and deals 1d8 damage is 2.25 HP of damage on average.

CW isn't less than HW 37.5% of the time. It is worse 18.75% of the time, tied 12.5% of the time, and better 68.75% of the time.

Use a L 3 slot instead of a L 1 slot, and have a stat of 18 instead of 16, and HW is 10.5 while CW is now 17.5; 67% better, or 7 points. At this point your cantrip might do 2d10 damage, or 11, and land half the time for 5.5 HP. Even if you value monster HP equal to player HP, CW comes out ahead in total HP swing often.

HW also used an action + bonus action; CW just used action. If you have other uses for your bonus action -- say, a bonus action war domain attack -- the calculus changes even more.

Undrave

Legend
I think healing in 5e is overvalued. It's really bad but it's always treated as this big deal and 'OP' if it's too good and I don't get it. It doesn't make you win any faster.

Retreater

Legend
If it's not powerful enough, your players won't take it, and it will be forgotten. Which is okay. But if you want ideas about how to beef it, look at the Heal spell from PF2 for some good ideas about how a cleric can put more oompf into their healing spells. It might be good for inspiration even if you don't use that game system.

Remove ads