D&D 5E Cure Wounds needs help or Healing Word needs a nerf...

Li Shenron

Legend
Most of my players are used to the older editions, and this is the first time I've run a cleric in 5E. To try something different, I went with Healing Word instead of Cure Wounds for my cleric. So far, only have played one session, but my experience sure makes me feel like 5E decided to beat down healing magic and real took a dislike to Cure Wounds.

If that's your conclusion after one session, I got to ask (obviously joking question): did that session actually stopped immediately after the last round of the first combat? Because at the very least, Cure Wounds absolutely beats Healing Word after the combat is finished :)

You said it yourself, Cure Wounds is the choice for out-of-combat. But I see it getting used in combat too. There are many variables which play a part here:

• you might already be near your ally, or getting near may not cost an extra risk
  • you might not be very effective with attacks in the current combat, so giving up the attack may not be a big deal
  • you might not know the Flame Strike cantrip
  • you might have a different bonus action ability to use

I think CW and HW are pretty balanced with each other, to the point that it makes sense to have clerics with CW prepared, clerics with HW prepared, and even clerics with both prepared. In fact, I don't think in 6 years with the current edition many people complained about these spells.

Last edited:

Pauln6

Hero
One other option is to allow the recipient of the healing spell to use their reaction to spend a hit die to increase the benefits.

Stormonu

Legend
If that's your conclusion after one session, I got to ask (obviously joking question): did that session actually stopped immediately after the last round of the first combat? Because at the very least, Cure Wounds absolutely beats Healing Word after the combat is finished :)

You said it yourself, Cure Wounds is the choice for out-of-combat. But I see it getting used in combat too. There are many variables which play a part here:

• you might already be near your ally, or getting near may not cost an extra risk
  • you might not be very effective with attacks in the current combat, so giving up the attack may not be a big deal
  • you might not know the Flame Strike cantrip
  • you might have a different bonus action ability to use

I think CW and HW are pretty balanced with each other, to the point that it makes sense to have clerics with CW prepared, clerics with HW prepared, and even clerics with both prepared. In fact, I don't think in 6 years with the current edition many people complained about these spells.
Three combats in the session, actually (centaur using Shilleglegh on a charge for most of the combats so far). Character hit 2nd level, I've picked up Cure Wounds. However, after having seen my group use nothing but CW since 5E started, so far I really like HW much better. It makes CW seem like a level 1/2 spell, not a 1st level spell.

I'm curious to see how the two spells (and upcoming Prayer of Healing) all tend to interact in the actual game.

auburn2

Adventurer
In my current game there is no Cleric, the Paladin is the only guy with healing magic and he generally runs out of spells before he heals anyone with them. So he ends up using lay on hands, sometimes in combat. In 5e healing potions are gear available for purchase and my characters typically stock up on them too. Between the potions, lay on hands and the hit dice they get with a short rest they are usually ok.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Before I actually implement anything in my own games, I'd like to get thoughts on how the two spells are actually used in your game...

Like others, healing word is used almost exclusively when someone drops to 0 hp. It's largely useless for anything else. Cure wounds is rarely used because in combat, it stinks, and out of combat, potions are an easy option for any party with gold to spare.

If you're concerned about the disparity, you could reduce healing word to its base die (d4, no modifiers). It still has the utility of ranged healing to get someone up from 0hp without the extra "oomph" a cure spell provides.

Stormonu

Legend
Personally, I don't want to lessen healing word. I actually want to bump the other healing spells up to have a little more oomph.

I run a paladin in another game, and I have been unhappy with how much better lay on hands is to the likes of cure wounds.

G

Guest 6801328

Healing word has range, cure wounds is more effective. That's about it.

Don't dismiss bonus action vs. full action. That can be a big deal.

I see almost nobody who has access to both take Cure Wounds anymore. The (average) 2 additional points is not worth it.

If Cure Wounds healed 2d6, plus 2d6 per additional level, I could see it being a tougher choice.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Personally, I don't want to lessen healing word. I actually want to bump the other healing spells up to have a little more oomph.

I run a paladin in another game, and I have been unhappy with how much better lay on hands is to the likes of cure wounds.
You have to be very careful how effective something like Cure Wounds can be. If it's so effective that a war cleric can make it work every round, that's going to be the expectation of the group. If cure wounds outdid an enemy's damage, when someone goes down, they'll blame the cleric/bard.

Cure wounds is strictly OoC healing. It's quick enough that the party doesn't have to wait 10 minutes and it's more effective than the alternative due to spell slot economy. You really don't want to have to heal in combat anyways, but if you must, healing word is designed for that.

Out of combat, you'll probably perfer the 1d8+SCM than 1d4+SCM. Prayer of healing is nice but you'll need relative breathing room to cast it. Once you have time, though, it's a great option. Mass Healing Word isn't as effective since multiple people going down in a turn means a TPK is probably imminent anyways. Mass Cure Wounds is pretty good, since you'll probably have an average of 4(3d8+SCM) which probably averages to 74 HP healed without being a life cleric.

G

Guest 6801328

One solution might be to combine them as a single spell. For example, it could be 1d4 + mod, touch, full action. Then pick two from: +30’ range, bonus action, or another d4. And you can pick the range or the d4 twice.

aco175

Legend
I find that it depends on the cleric and how he is played. A fighting cleric may need/want to swing something each round and thus Healing Word is best for him, while a 2nd rank cleric may hang back and find Cure Wounds better. Also may depend on the player some, in that a newer player may need more time to sort through all the options and find that more HP is better than another action.

Remove ads