D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Planescape- In Through the Out Door (Full)

Unsung

First Post
I'm feeling pretty sold on Thom, provided you didn't want the tout our primes hire to be an NPC. He can owe some favors back at the Gatehouse, and between Kylie and Shemeska he's probably got enough bosses to kick him through whatever portals you need him to hop into.

I'm more worried that it'll be the portals your fellow adventurers are dragging you through, rather than the ones I'm pushing you through. At least, that'd be my hope.

Edit: Alright, enough being evasive. Cards on the table, because it does seem like it could be important in this case. I wasn't originally planning on making the game very Sigil-centric, so I'm just concerned that Thom being rooted in the city will limit his investment once the game goes elsewhere.

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I TOTALLY want to play a pixie!! A flighty fun creature. I'm looking at the pixie in the MM. There would have to be some modifications I think. One, I would like her to be attached to a character, in terms of say, protection. So she always travels with that person. She could be small like Tinkerbell or larger if that is easier. I imagine I would need more than one HP. Lol. Also she perhaps had a family member or her village attacked so she is more likely to fight than always flee. Need to be able to help out the group.

I have ALWAYS wanted to play a pixie coming out into the great big world! Everything is new and shiny. :)

So how does that sound for a general concept? If you don't like the idea of a tiny pixie we could do a "halfling" size pixie, if you don't like that I can choose elven or similar and have fey blood. Jon thinks sorcerer would fit or Druid, which I never have played before. If I do go sorcerer I would try to choose some really different spells than I normally do. Fun stuff :D

goatunit

Explorer
Alright, enough being evasive. Cards on the table, because it does seem like it could be important in this case. I wasn't originally planning on making the game very Sigil-centric, so I'm just concerned that Thom being rooted in the city will limit his investment once the game goes elsewhere.

Cool. I mentioned Shemeska as a sort of "might need to split town fast" button. However, I can see how a street tout's expertise might be of limited use during an extended planar romp. I'll go with the dusty paladin.

Eurid Turnstone, Paladin of Kelemvor and Factotum of the Dustmen.

Shayuri

First Post
Queenie, take a look at the fey pact warlock too. They get a lot of abilities that reduce and/or eliminate your reliance on physical weapons and armor (eldritch blast and blade, the perma-mage-armor invocation, etc) which would probably be really handy for a pixie on the go in the land of the Big Folk. As an aside, sorcerors and warlocks multiclass surprisingly well with one another. ;)

You know, with a modron attached to one player, and a pixie to another, Manticorps, if I go with him, is going to be really jealous he's partied up with a bunch of pre-order Special Edition game owners. :)

Still waiting to see how the party develops before I settle on a concept.

Fenris

Adventurer
My first thought was to go with a flumph necromancer. But then I realized that it might be too clichéd and overplayed. :p

My initial idea was actually a Satyr Bard (College of Lore) from the Feywilds with a passion for information, knowledge, history and bacchanalian pleasures of the flesh and senses.

Unsung

First Post
@goatunit Nice. Sorry if I came across as pushy before. I was probably playing things a little too close to the chest. I tend to do that.

@Fenris Again with the bait and switch! Well, I'm going to put an army of zombie jellyfish in the game, and whether or not you're at the head of them or in their way is up to you.

I do like the good-time satyr, though. Sounds like an excellent foil to the Dustman. :) Speaking of the Feywild, did you ever read Heroes of the Feywild, toward the end of 4e's life cycle? For those who know Planescape, I would like to extend some of the traditional elements of the Land of Faerie to Arborea and the eladrin as well-- treating the place as something of a liminal space that extends between worlds, from our Earth to the Outer Planes.

@Queenie Being tiny will no doubt come in useful, and I like the challenges it represents. Armour and weapons will be harder to come by and will do less at that size, but cover will be easier to come by, and you can hide and go places others can't. Rather than a flat AC bonus which is typical in these situations, I think I'll be reducing the range at which ranged weapons are accurate against them. Halve them, maybe, to keep it simple. If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Here's a hackish halfling subrace you can tentatively use:

Halfing Subrace: PIXIE
Size. Your size is Tiny. Your lifting and carry weight limits are a tenth that of a Medium creature. Armour sized for you weighs a tenth of the normal amount. Light armour costs a quarter as much. Medium and heavy armour cost the normal amount, but you must find a craftsman capable of the intricate work required, or it provides no benefit. A weapon sized for you deals, at most, 1d4 damage.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 10 feet. You have a fly speed of 30 feet.
Fey Origin. You are considered to be fey for the purpose of all spells and effects.
Speak with Small Beasts. As the forest gnome trait (PHB p37).
Pixie Dust. You know the cantrip light, and one of the following cantrips of your choice: druidcraft, mage hand, vicious mockery. Charisma is your ability for these cantrips. In addition, you add the following spells to your class’s spell list if you are able to cast spells of that level: sleep, fly, confusion. When casting these spells, you ignore the material component cost.

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
[MENTION=21379] [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] Again with the bait and switch! Well, I'm going to put an army of zombie jellyfish in the game, and whether or not you're at the head of them or in their way is up to you.

I do like the good-time satyr, though. Sounds like an excellent foil to the Dustman. :) Speaking of the Feywild, did you ever read Heroes of the Feywild, toward the end of 4e's life cycle? For those who know Planescape, I would like to extend some of the traditional elements of the Land of Faerie to Arborea and the eladrin as well-- treating the place as something of a liminal space that extends between worlds, from our Earth to the Outer Planes.

Well, I had considered the Awakened Shrub (I am Shrub!) But was afraid of the Lady's Knights who are fond of shrubbery.

I am not familiar with it, is there a short primer on it?

Unsung

First Post
Nothing too important, just some interesting mechanics and ideas that would work beyond that edition. Some good fluff and flavourful magical items. It was more that I was just curious. Pixies and satyrs were given playable races in that book, and since you and Queenie are playing a pixie and a satyr, I just thought I'd ask.

I am intrigued by the idea that, in the Planes, factions believe that belief can manifest as reality. If enough people believe something, that thing can come into creation. Springing off of this, I am interested in playing a figment of imagination. A thought.

At first the character would be either ethereal or incorporeal. Later the character would become corporeal, perhaps after enough if the party came to believe that the figment was less mere imagination and more reality.

One of the challenges I anticipate include fitting this concept into a level adjustment that would permit me to create a PC 1-5 level. I haven't looked yet at the Monster Manual (because I am at work) but I think ethereal and uncorporeal monsters are probably LA 5+. Before I set about drafting the mechanics of such a PC, I thought to touch base for impressions from you, Unsung, and from my fellow players.

Want to play with a "figment of a thought? A memory? How about with a "ghost?"

Last edited:

Remove ads