• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D Movie Hit or Flop?

Zardnaar

Legend
We have the international numbers which went up from weekend 1 to weekend 2, to include drawing the international share up to 49% from its previous 40%, back when you called it a failure internationally.

You haven't adjusted your statements or predictions when presented with that data.

We also know that the "no legs" people keep insisting that Honor Among Thieves is cratering, without context. What we do know is that on Sunday it was the #2 movie. Which means that Air and John Wick are not competition for the coming week.

I don't recall saying it's international numbers went down. I said it's overall numbers went down. The drop off was over 50% and as high as 61% according to box officebmojo.

They've also broken it down by day.

Few days back Deadline said it's projectios/ceiling was 40 million thiscweekend. The decline exceeded that projection. Well they actually said ceiling.

I provided a link to boxoffice mojo. If it decl8nes like that again next weekend it's not even gonna hit its budget (151million) or might scrape through on Monday to Thursday figures.

Mario's absurd numbers but John Wick hit its double budget numberscweek 2 triple it's budget week 3. D&D might not hit its budget by week 3.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If this wasn’t our beloved brand, no one would question the box office numbers so closely or the picture they paint.
That's true. But it goes both ways.

If it was a flop, we would be seeing from industry magazines, not a handful of random YouTube folks thirsty for clicks, headlines like "how did Paramount get the D&D movie so wrong?"

No one in Hollywood is shy about dancing on the graves of failures.

The fact that the people saying this is a flop the loudest are having to specifically exclude what actual industry professionals are saying should be cause to maybe put these sorts of declarations on pause a few weeks.

Because as opposed to epidemiology and IP law, no one on these threads is even pretending to be a professional in this field. The notion that someone working a random non-Hollywood job has a better sense of what's going on in Hollywood than tens of thousands of movie industry professionals is silly.

Zardnaar

Legend
We have all been through this with him a lot of times. Nearly everyone here agrees with you on this. There's not much more to say for most of us, even if your case is laid out better than most.

I'm looking at the math.

See my above post. With another 50%+ decline D&D it's marginal if D&D hits it's budget this weekend.

Even a modest decline of 30% it's barely gonna scrap over it Monday to Sunday figure.

Every week it's numbers are gonna get smaller and smaller. 80 odd million of that 124 million came from ots first week.eaves 44 million after that. 50% decline is 146 million, 30% is 155 million. It's budget is reported at 151 million.

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I don't recall saying it's international numbers went down. I said it's overall numbers went down. The drop off was over 50% and as high as 61% according to box officebmojo.
You're saying this as if its true worldwide, but it's not. The 61% is domestic only.

Using Box Office Mojo, you know this. And yet report it was worldwide data.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's true. But it goes both ways.

If it was a flop, we would be seeing from industry magazines, not a handful of random YouTube folks thirsty for clicks, headlines like "how did Paramount get the D&D movie so wrong?"

No one in Hollywood is shy about dancing on the graves of failures.

The fact that the people saying this is a flop the loudest are having to specifically exclude what actual industry professionals are saying should be cause to maybe put these sorts of declarations on pause a few weeks.

Because as opposed to epidemiology and IP law, no one on these threads is even pretending to be a professional in this field. The notion that someone working a random non-Hollywood job has a better sense of what's going on in Hollywood than tens of thousands of movie industry professionals is silly.

There's been no recent articles about the D&D movies success or whatever beyond deadlines box office reporting.

You have anything from the last 4 days?

Zardnaar

Legend
You're saying this as if its true worldwide, but it's not. The 61% is domestic only.

Using Box Office Mojo, you know this. And yet report it was worldwide data.

I'm also looking at the total amount. It was 80million few days back now it's 124 million. Even an optimistic 30% decline from that 44 million difference it barely scaps in over it's 151 million budget.

See previous post.

Also they get a smaller return from international vs domestic.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
80 odd million of that 124 million came from ots first
This cannot be true.

Because D&D made 37m domestically in weekend 1. It didn't make 40+ internationally, which is proven by your past statements when you called its failure to sell in weekend 1 internationally for the nearly 60/40 dom/int split a failure.

CommodoreKong

Explorer
Took the family to see D&D Saturday. The first showing was sold out but we did get tickets for the second showing. It was packed out. At least in my area it appears to be doing well surprisingly (I'm in the deep south). Overall we enjoyed it a lot and it was way better than I was expecting. I feel like it has enough legs to try for a 2nd movie.

The show I went to last Wednesday was also pretty full though that's likely because Mario had sucked up so many screens at my theater they only had DND on two screens that day.

Zardnaar

Legend
This cannot be true.

Because D&D made 37m domestically in weekend 1. It didn't make 40+ internationally, which is proven by your past statements when you called its failure to sell in weekend 1 internationally for the nearly 60/40 dom/int split a failure.

It made 70 million total on release crept up to 80 million not to long ago and as of last night was at 124 million.

Still on 124 million worldwide.

As of Sunday.

Remove ads