D&D 5E D&D New Edition Design Looks Soon?

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

WotC’s Ray Winninger has hinted on Twitter that we may be seeing something of the 2024 next edition of D&D soon — “you’ll get a first look at some of the new design work soon.”.

DF9A3109-D723-4DBC-9633-79A5894C83FF.jpeg

Sacrosanct

Legend
Oh wow, look at that, yet another edition. Woop dee doo. Can't they just stop this new edition crap? So damn stupid to one day be in my 70s and see D&D 14th Edition!

The game should have stayed in 3e. Would have been such an awesome D&D game to have products from 2008-current for 3e. Such a terrible tragedy. That Fiendish Codex III: Yugoloths will never come will it?
It's been like, 10 years. That's the longest edition to date. Did you expect nothing to change ever? I mean, I like 1e and don't like 3e, so I'm guessing you probably wouldn't have been happy if the game stayed 1e this whole time...

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
It's been like, 10 years. That's the longest edition to date. Did you expect nothing to change ever? I mean, I like 1e and don't like 3e, so I'm guessing you probably wouldn't have been happy if the game stayed 1e this whole time...
Heh, this just made me think:
"Fifty years. Fifth edition. That's ten years per edition!"

I guess that's one of those "Lies, damn lies, and statistics" -type of observations. 😅

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
As a fellow LU user, there is a cost though in terms of time and complexity. My group does take longer to resolve turns as they are rolling more dice and having to remember bonuses. I can't tell you how many times they (or I) forget about their little specialization bonuses.

Advantage/Disadvantage was a big deal mechanically. It cleaned up a lot of problems, its super intuitive (all the new players I have run 5e with get it immediately), and above all, its fun. Rolling 2 big die is just fun, players enjoy it.

Now A/D isn't immune from problems, and I do think it is overused, but on the whole it was a big step forward to the game from a mechanics standpoint.
LU's time and complexity cost is one I'm more than willing to pay.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You seem to be confusing "what you prefer" to interesting.

And anyway, by your definition in earlier comments, since expertise dice were used in the D&D Next playtest they can't be anything but tired in Level Up.

But they are interesting in Level Up - same way Adv/Dis was when it came out with 5e. That's called not having a double standard.
My liking expertise dice and my thinking A/D is a good but not interesting mechanic are different things. Don't make assumptions.

Mezuka

Hero
Oh wow, look at that, yet another edition. Woop dee doo. Can't they just stop this new edition crap? So damn stupid to one day be in my 70s and see D&D 14th Edition!

The game should have stayed in 3e. Would have been such an awesome D&D game to have products from 2008-current for 3e. Such a terrible tragedy. That Fiendish Codex III: Yugoloths will never come will it?

I know many people who still play older editions (OD&D to 4e) and are perfectly fine with it. WoTC doesn't have direct access to your wallet to force you to buy the new edition.

Btw, you might see 14th edition much sooner than you think! 5e is actually the 10th edition (excluding Rules Cyclopedia).

I think WOTC wants the option of1st level feats but 5e is already fighting a reputation of being easy mode and extreme lack of power creep on the monster side. So I predict that they will let you take lesser versions of a race (lineages) or background (themes) to get a feat.
Which feat you can pick could depend on background.

OTHG

Explorer
5e was wildly successful, so if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Here's what we'll probably see:
--cool new art, graphics and look
--some mechanics tweaks but nothing radical
--incorporate more non-combat skills into character classes
--systemically address concerns with race, gender, and issues like that.

What I would like to see but don't expect:
--Some attempt to streamline combat so it's not so grindingly long sometimes. No idea how you do this without radical changes. I think they are aware of this problem but not sure if they'll take this up. It might be that characters and monsters could simply be more lethal, thus shortening combat.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Go (re)read the design diaries. The vast majority of small bonuses and penalties were replaced with Advantage/Disadvantage, and they kept a few places with numeric bonuses/penalties where they wanted it to stack with Adv/Dis or didn't want it to replace trying to get it another way, like the Bless spell.

And yes, losing some of the "depth and nuance" of an overly complicated system that would not work with bounded accuracy was acceptable. That does not make it less interesting, it makes it more fit for purpose when they are actively streamlining the rules.
[
  • weapons +1/+2/+3
  • Armor+1/+2/+3
  • Many Named weapons +1/+2/+3
  • Many Named Armors+1/+2/+3
  • Alter self spell natural weapons
  • Elemental Weapon Spell
  • Magic Weapon Spell
  • Pass without a trace Spell
  • Warding Bond Spell
  • Haste
  • Cover
  • Shield of Faith
  • bless
  • Channel divinity guided strike
  • Channel divinity war god's blessing
  • Fighting style: Archery
  • Fighting style: Defense
  • Fighting style: Dueling
  • Paladin Aura of protection
  • channel divinity: sacred Weapon
  • feat Dual Wielder
  • Feat: Great Weapon Master
  • Feat Sharpshooter
that's far beyond a few & this is mostly just the phb alone. advantage/disadvantage is a club where a scalpel is needed so they left many many instances of +N but almost immediately ran into the limits resulting from making those into a club as well from the removal of bonus types.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
My liking expertise dice and my thinking A/D is a good but not interesting mechanic are different things. Don't make assumptions.
We were talking about finding adv/dis interesting. When your whole response was about expertise dice I did make an assumption -- an assumption you had stayed on topic and treated that comment as such.

It feels like you are trying to take me to task for assuming your response was coherent. If your entire reply was just a random aside not about what we were talking about at all, then I guess I was mistaken.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads