• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Super Heroes --- coming in July '06 from WOTC

buzz

Adventurer
woodelf said:
So, if i'd said "The following is opinion: 'X'", rather than "'X'; the preceding is opinion", you'd be satisfied? It really matters which order i write it in? Or would you really prefer that i saddle every single sentence with an 'IMHO'? Isn't that a given for most statements in this sort of forum, and it's the non-opinion statement that needs to be flagged?
It was more your tone and presentation. Especially the bit about, "And I can prove it!". Just brought out the cheeky devil in me.

woodelf said:
See, you do it, too: make blanket statements of opinion as though they were fact. It isn't necessary to disclaim every single opinion as such.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that my statement about all the games in question being excellent is more than my opinion. General consensus is that these are all very good games. Making qualitative distinctions between them is squarely in the realm of preference. If we were comparing, say, M&M and Foundation, or D&D and Synnibar, then you could make objective pronouncements. :)

woodelf said:
But this all goes back to someone's claim that it was ridiculous to discount this new WotC book without even seeing it. I claim it is perfectly reasonable to do so--or any other creative work--provided you have sufficient experience with related works, and there is some reason and mechanism for the various related works to be similar in meaningful ways.
I still see a difference between saying, "I'm going to wait and see because I haven't really liked WotC's stuff in the past" and "It's obviously going to suck and I can prove it." Tacking an "IMO" on the end doesn't really make a difference. One statement is acceptable preference, the other somewhat provocative.

Bah. I shouldn't have engaged. I've diminished the impact of my earlier one-liner. :D

JoeGKushner

First Post
JPL said:
Again, I don't really know what you mean by "even."

The original FASERIP ox hit just before grim-n-gritty became widespread. Wolverine was the only hero I can think of who killed, and even that wasn't terribly frequent. The Punisher wasn't even a "hero" at that point --- in the Lone Wolves adventure, he was just another bad guy for Daredevil and Luke Cage to fight]. The superhero as antihero hadn't really caught on. Reenforcing traditional Silver Age superhero values made sense, and certainly modeled the prevailing morality in comics of that era.

Wolverine, at least, could sock most of that Karma away in the X-Men Karma pool, or burn it off being The Best There Is. I kinda like the idea that even Wolverine loses all his Karma when he kills --- it means that even to him, this is a serious matter, not something he does lightly. This is the guy who stabbed Rachel Summers in the chest to prevent her from murdering the Black Queen. Like the man said...what he does isn't pretty.

You don't know what I mean by even? Ummm.... okay. Won't argue it with you but apparently I'm not the only one who thinks that the game has some wackiness to it. It required a lot more effort on the GM to insure that all the characters could take part in the game effectively. How's that?

The Punisher being a "bad guy" all the time? I suggest picking up something like the b&w essential Punisher with it's hard hitting use of him as a 'hero' if you will. It was a deinfatly a different type of story.

Once again, not saying it's a bad game, just no game balance, uneven players alongside one another, poor advancement rules, and in today's gamers/comics, a very unrealistic application of karma.

A creature out of it's time unless you were doing a Silver Age Sentinels theme where the players are willing to be far less powerful/useful than one another without extreme GM help.

JPL

Adventurer
SWBaxter said:
Not in any useful way, because if you remove either of the agents, the fight turns out the same - they're pretty much baggage. Superhero RPGs are a bad place to make somebody feel like baggage, IMHO. Comic books get away with the power disparity because the author can stage manage things to make the lesser powered folks useful to the story, in an RPG context that's usually considered a brand of railroading.

Fantasy fiction has just as much of a disparity in protagonist power, and yet the most successful fantasy games aim for some kind of balance. I wouldn't consider buying a superhero RPG nowadays unless it did the same thing.

[Shrugs] Just because it's possible to put Bricky McBrickbrick and Joe SHIELD on the same team doesn't mean it's a good idea. If you want everyone to have the same power level, then put the team together accordingly.

If, on the other hand, EvilBrick is knocking down buildings while Hydraguy is escaping, then we'll be glad to have both Bricky and Joe SHIELD [and his flying motorcycle]. Also, Joe can defuse a bomb, and Bricky can't. Make sure there's a bomb and something big that needs hitting, and everyone's happy.

The original super-team had the Spectre [embodiment of the wrath of God] and the Atom [pretty strong for a guy his size]. So there's much precedent [although I'd hate to try to run that particular campaign...].

[Edit] No, I don't know what you mean by "even," unless you mean that the game system should somehow make Ant-Man equal in power level to Thor, or make Hawkeye evenly matched against the Silver Surfer. Enough Karma and some good luck can work wonders, but in the comics, Daredevil gets damn unhappy when he has to fight the Hulk, NOT the other way around.

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
JPL said:
[Shrugs] Just because it's possible to put Bricky McBrickbrick and Joe SHIELD on the same team doesn't mean it's a good idea. If you want everyone to have the same power level, then put the team together accordingly.

If, on the other hand, EvilBrick is knocking down buildings while Hydraguy is escaping, then we'll be glad to have both Bricky and Joe SHIELD [and his flying motorcycle]. Also, Joe can defuse a bomb, and Bricky can't. Make sure there's a bomb and something big that needs hitting, and everyone's happy.

The original super-team had the Spectre [embodiment of the wrath of God] and the Atom [pretty strong for a guy his size]. So there's much precedent [although I'd hate to try to run that particular campaign...].

It's not just the JSA. Even the original Avengers: Thor, Iron man, Ant-Man, Wasp and the Hulk!

The hero teams of the comics are not easy to model effectively in some game systems. Hero has always had a pretty good method of handling it via controlling OCV/DCV and damage caps while M&M does it in a similiar fashion.

DC Heroes and Marvel modelled the characters very well, just not great for running campaigns with inexperienced GMs. (Never liked the way FASERIP handled killing damage either... or dying....)

Vigilance

Explorer
woodelf said:
I listen to the first three albums, in their entirety, of an artist. They are in roughly the same style, and fairly consistent from song to song. I like one song, but not badly enough to buy the album it's on, and really don't care for any of the rest. I hear a 3rd album is being produced, and nobody is saying it will be any different than the previous ones. Is it bias to presume i probably won't like it, or simple prediction of taste?

Is it really "bias" to note an 8-yr-long unbroken trend in a company's products, and begin to presume future products will conform to it? Or simple observation?

But that's not what you said.

You didnt say "I don't like Rush. I never have, so I see no reason to get the new album."

What you said was, effectively "Rush sucks."

One is objective opinion, the other is you placing yourself as the Arbiter of Quality.

On top of that, you made several statements that you called "objective fact" that I know are not true.

Like "d20 Modern is only good for running D&D in the modern world" (paraphrasing).

I know that's not true, cause Ive run d20 Modern since it was released for: Gothic Horror, Chan-esque martial arts, military gaming, supers, and D&D Modern (my Buffy campaign).

So its clearly not good for ONLY that. That's about as silly as saying "D&D is only good for Tolkien" when there are people out there running Eberron, Dark Sun and Planescape.

Chuck

buzz

Adventurer
Vigilance said:
You didnt say "I don't like Rush. I never have, so I see no reason to get the new album."

Chuck said it better than I did. :cool:

We know both statements are opinions, but one will get you a nod, while the other will get you an argument.

Weird. I was just discussing Rush with someone else.

One reason I'm really looking forward to this is that I've been a firm believer for some time that d20 Modern could support superheroes quite well. Starting Occupations, Basic/Advanced/Prestige Classes, Races and Templates make for a very flexible character, in a way that helps keep it relatively balanced, but easily approachable to the average d20 player base, and eases conversion with other d20 games. The Level Adjustment mechanic works very well for keeping relative powers in play.

To use examples everybody would know, A Kryptonian might be a +20 LA race, but Superman is still balanced against Batman if he's already an epic-level character (The JLA seems like a perfect example of an epic-level party IMO). Green Lantern seems perfect for a Prestige Class, given that you have to learn how to control the ring and it also denotes membership in a very prestigious and exclusive organization. Psychic superheroes and villains can be represented with existing classes and feats (just add new ones, magic & psionics are quite modular after all). Not that we're very likely to see these exact examples in the actual book due to licensing (but fan-made versions using the rules will doubtless be out moments after the book is released), but they do make the point.

Almost any superhero or supervillain I could think of could be represented either as a high-level normal d20M character (with maybe Magic/Psionic AdC's or PrC's), like Dr. Doom or Batman. Or they have a template that reflects something they got after birth that gives them fixed powers which generally don't get better over time (Spider Man, Daredevil), or they get a large amount of powers based on being part of a race that is apparently superior to humanity (Superman & Martian Manhunter). X-Men style mutants could just as easily be a low +LA race with some minor ability boosts (+2 CHA, since even the gruff or ugly ones are very charismatic and have a lot of force of personality), and a number of bonus feats that they can spend on various super-powers, maybe even additional powers that unfold as a character levels up (like the Celestial & Fiendish templates in D&D tied to hit dice).

It really is a fallacy to say that you have to use point-buy to represent superhero games. Players of that genre have gotten used to several point-buy games, much like players of Medieval Fantasy games are largely used to class-based games.

As for the Mutants and Masterminds vs. d20 Superheroes issue, dedicated superhero genre gamers who were already playing M&M are unlikely to change over, however gamers who haven't dabbled in the genre much, or are already d20 Modern fans are the ones who will pick up d20SH, and are unlikely to give M&M much consideration. Much like Castles & Crusades is to D&D, M&M is a 3rd party product with a small but very loyal following, but isn't a big player in the larger gaming scene. Honestly, outside of ENWorld, I've barely even heard of M&M (and outside of online, I've never heard of it at all), never seen it at any FLGS, I don't recall seeing it in the dealers room at Gen Con. I've seen people in real life talk about or play superhero genre games, but with GURPS (gods help them), HERO/Champions, TSR/Marvel, even Brave New World and Silver Age Sentinels, but never M&M. It may have sold many copies to a dedicated fan base, but beyond that base its "mindspace" in general gaming seems to be quite low (ENWorld isn't the typical gaming population, visitors here tend to be much more experienced, open to small-press products, and diverse in their gaming tastes). d20SH will reach people with a superhero genre game that may not have looked at it much since the old TSR/Marvel RPG in the late 80's, or who don't want complexities of point-based accounting like with most other modern superhero RPGs.

woodelf

First Post
Vigilance said:
But that's not what you said.

One is objective opinion, the other is you placing yourself as the Arbiter of Quality.

Well, i didn't mean it to come across that way. It really was meant to be "hey, i've checked out everything WotC has done, and i haven't liked anything since they acquired TSR, so i don't see any reason to expect that to change". And, yes, i did say "because X is better"--because i think it is. See, there are things i like that i'm fully aware are matters of taste, and have nothing to do with the quality of the art [techno music]; there are things i like that i'm fully aware are, to the degree these things can be judged, crap [Aqua]; and there are things i like that i'm confident are, to the degree these things can be judged, superior [Beethoven]. I actually am capable of recognizing the difference between my taste and artistic merit--the latter can be supported by reasoned argument. I can't stand V:tR, but don't think that has anything to do with its quality.

On top of that, you made several statements that you called "objective fact" that I know are not true.

I'm pretty sure the only one i claimed as "fact" was that the monster illustrations, on the criteria of illustrating what they claim to illustrate, are poor. There are other bits i think i can back up--and by back up, i mean: you tell me what you like about Product X, and i'll show you that Product Y does exactly what you want, better. But i deliberately left those out, because it takes too much text as a sidetrack on a different thread [my Spycraft/D20M comparison post was, what, 5 screen-fulls?]. I'm not claiming to be an arbiter of taste--anybody is allowed to like anything they want, whether it be crap or gold--i certainly like my share of crap. I'm claiming that, much as literature and movies can be meaningfully critiqued, so, too, can RPGs. And, i'm not claiming that my "proof" is universal, incontrovertible fact; rather, merely that there is evidence and reasoning behind my claims, rather than pure taste/opinion. I'm sorry if it came across hollow, because i didn't want to provide the entire supporting argument.

I think part of the problem in discussions of this sort is people take umbrage at the idea that they might like crap. Much like calling someone a powergamer is often taken as an insult (even when it's meant as a simple descriptive), telling someone that there is a better game out there is often taken as an insult, regardless of the intent. It's a natural human response, but one i think we need to get over--it gets in the way of discussions, because generally those who care enough to discuss the merits of things also have preferences among those things. We all need to recognize that (1) our tastes aren't objective fact if we can't back them up with reasoning that others will accept and (2) it's ok if objective fact actively contradicts our tastes--it doesn't make our tastes any less valid. I don't like McDonald's cheeseburgers any less because they are utter crap in pretty much every way you can measure them. Nor do i worry about it when someone points this out, or try and come up with some criteria in which they are better than the restaurant burger. Nonetheless, i probably overreached on point (1), and should've just left out any claims of supportable differences, if i wasn't going to take the time to actually support them.

Like "d20 Modern is only good for running D&D in the modern world" (paraphrasing).

Even as a paraphrase, that misses an important point: i said "D20M is only better than Spycraft for running 'modern D&D'"--in all of my comparisons, i never intended to say that any of the WotC stuff is crap. With rare exception, i don't think that--I think most of it is good. I just don't think any of it is awesome. By way of analogy, I didn't say "Rush sucks", i said "in every way in which Rush is good, there is another band that is better,"--and i'll let you pick the measuring stick.

----
And, again, to get back to the topic, and ignore all this mess i've stirred up: if you have a consistent poor opinion of WotC's products, then it seems to me perfectly reasonable to presume, sight unseen, that future WotC products will be poor [WRT your tastes], and, specifically, that they will be not as good as a product that you have a very high opinion of. Really, that was all i was trying to say: that the people dismissing D20 Superheroes ahead of its release might be reasonable, rather than unreasonable. That's it. Regardless of what you think of my particular opinions that i cluttered up the post with.

woodelf

First Post
wingsandsword said:
I don't recall seeing it in the dealers room at Gen Con.

Probably because you couldn't see or get at their booth, due to the very long lines to buy M&MM2e blocking them from view. ;)

In fact, i believe it was one of only 3 things at the con to have sufficient popularity to generate lines: M&MM2e, Serenity RPG, and M:tAw.

Ranger REG

Explorer
buzz said:
IMO, the only WotC d20M product I have found genuinely disappointing was Urban Arcana.
Really? Anyone I asked which product is most disappointing and without skipping a heartbeat most say it is d20 Past.

buzz said:
I also did not buy Weapons Locker becasue the subject simply didn't interest me.
Guns don't interest you in a moden-day game? It's like a D&D player who is not interested in swords.

I'm fairly certain that if d20 Superhero has more-than-enough material to easily set up a d20 Modern supers game that can (optionally) blend/crossover with other genres (Batman meets James Bond?), the product will have its own audience...

...Just like I belong in the very small d20 Past fanbase.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads