• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DCC#8(OOC)::Mactire's Misfits

Theroc

First Post
Telos isn't exactly standard himself, but he seems to be doing his job. He's successfully debuffed the elemental once (Maybe twice) and chipped away regularly at his HP(since he doesn't contend with DR). Not sure how well he'll do in other scenarios.

Edit:
I'm kinda thinking unless the elemental intends to climb after Telos, he may end up the only survivor of this combat. If he does, telos may die, or he may successfully kill the elemental and spare Gar and Derrenil. But if everyone wants to make new characters, I probably will too, as I am realizing that Telos wouldn't really shine except after a few levels, which we may not get in a oneshot adventure like this.

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
(Everyone except Seilg that is :( Sorry my friend IC must have known you wanted out of this game it sure help you there.)

NP, HM ;) - This way he gets to go out a hero; distracting the monstrosity and soaking up some damage that would have gone to his friends . . .

Adios, all! See ya around the boards!

s@squ@tch

First Post
Always sad to see a PC die.

A lot of Derrenil's spell slots were set to divination type spells, as I anticipated this to be more of a city type adventure, plus it fit with her drow build -- always looking to stay one step ahead of her enemies.

They aren't very effective against elementals though.

Dragonwriter

First Post
I understand, and I'd like to say that I wasn't trying/meaning to badmouth anyone's character choices.

All I meant in my little speech a few posts up was that we hadn't really designed characters that would be effective against this monster. Had it been something else (like something without such monstrous DR and size), we'd probably be doing rather well. As it is, we are dealing with a freakish thing that out-brutes our brute by a longshot and there's not much magic to bring to bear in this situation...

s@squ@tch

First Post
I agree. This thing is going to be a challenge.

As you have noticed, Derrenil is not the meat-shield cleric type -- instead she's a rather sneaky cleric.

I figure I can start some buffing now -- Prayer, then probably Haste, possibly Bless. As her melee attacks aren't exactly going to do much.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
NP, HM ;) - This way he gets to go out a hero; distracting the monstrosity and soaking up some damage that would have gone to his friends . . .

Adios, all! See ya around the boards!

Later's Mowgli see you in CotCT and HotDL, I can't believe how fast everyone posts in CotCT almost hard to keep up.

@ s@s and DW: Let me see if I got your actions correctly. Derrenil will cast Prayer and draw an AoO? And Gar is going to move 5' and end up still being 15' away from the Elemental (it took a 5'step last round Gar started 20' away this round) just making sure I'm reading the IC right.

HM

EDIT: You guys maybe right about this whole module it is a DCC (Dungeon Crawl Classic) and was probably designed for your standard party, Mage, Warrior, Cleric, Thief. I wanted to play a game were people could play anything they wanted to play so I might need to tone down the module for nonstandard parties.

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
You got my action right. Changing essentia, standing, 5-ft. step and Total Defense. That's it. Next turn I'll renew my offense, but I couldn't step up to it this turn (rather not suffer another full attack when I don't absolutely have to take it).

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Oh forgot the standing up :blush: o.k. then

I was just at the other game and they are facing something else I found troubling, new undead that on a successful hit have a poison effect: check this out

Contact: Fortitude DC 15; intial damage 1d10 Con; secondary damage 1d10 Con

I think the standard type party would have no problem but what about one without a high level cleric or a wizard with a fireball??

HM

Dragonwriter

First Post
No biggie. You have it now. :)

And that is somewhat bad news... Even Gar (with his very nice Fort save that would only fail on a 1) would eventually get a 1 (or several 1s, as my luck goes).

I'm strongly considering retiring Gar (assuming he survives) and making a Wizard character for this game, with a few tricks to give us a melee powerhouse as well...

HM, do you have Complete Arcane?

And as to the module setup thing, I think they do assume a standard party. Which we certainly are not... Derrenil has up to 4th-level spells, Telos has 3rd, when the module is assuming 4th and 5th, and Gar is only about 3/4 BAB with a below-average STR and AC for the melee character... And our Rogue is dead... So, things probably do need to be toned down. (In addition to the fact that this elemental nullified pretty much all our powers. Gar couldn't grapple, Seilg couldn't Sneak Attack... So, we get/got smashed.)

Theroc

First Post
On the other hand, thus far Telos is doing just about exactly as I planned, and doing it well.

Granted, he's not using his spells atm, as who knows what the crap ELSE we'll be running to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads