D&D 5E Do you feel like the "Sorcerer" is really lacking in options?

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Well I do.

You are essentially forced to go the draconian route or the wild path. I wonder if we are going to get an article or something with more options because at the moment, none of my players will play one. Some of them are saying they wish they had the options like the Pathfinder sorcerer. I've got a guy who really wants to play a Death Sorcerer who is tied to undead.

I think they should have had more in the PHB, but at least give us more in an article or something.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Should have made a poll. :)

But yes, absolutely. I literally just posted that in another thread. Sorcerer is broad enough to support 6 or 7 subclasses, easily. Pyro sorcerer, cryo sorcerer (the Elsa build :p), a shapeshifter build, celestial sorcerer, and demonic sorcerer, just for starters.

jgsugden

Legend
I can come up with hundreds of character concepts from prior editions that are not well supported by the rules right now, and probably at least as many more that have never been supported by a rule set - but there are far more character concepts already supported by the rules.

I consider it likely they'll get more options in the future - but you need to be patient. They can't give us all potential options from the start - we wouldn't be able to process the information and they'd have no business model for the next few years. We've got years for them to release materials - and there are already thousands of combinations of classes, races and key feats/features that can provide substantially different play options. Nobody has come close to fully exploring the options available. If the current sorcerer options do not do it for you, try a build in another class that is more to your current liking and wait until they release more sorcerer builds (or someone releases a good home brew) and try it then.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Thankfully, any particular Sorcerous Origin entails a mere 5 Origin features (two 1st levels, a 6th, 14th & 18th)... so any Origin a player of mine might think of will be fairly easy to design as necessary. Especially considering I'd really only have to come up with the first three to be honest, as it'd be months if not years before I'd need to think of a 14th level one-- assuming of course the campaign even LASTS that long to need to create a 14th level feature.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

No.

(PS: "You" is a generic "you", not specifically aimed at any singular person posting)

With how 5e is written, it's honestly a matter of how lazy the DM and players are. If you want an Elementalist archtype, it's dirt simple to make one; just substitute some elemental stuff in place of "draconic" for the Draconic archtype and that's pretty much it. Flavour to taste. I could probably come up with an "elementalist" archtype in about 10 minutes. Taking another 10 to 20 to write it down all nice and fancy, hit print, hand to player.

And before I hear "but I don't have time" or "but I want the professionals to do it for me"....just stop right there. If you don't have 15 minutes to spare in a day (or week!) then you have much larger problems with your life. If you have no imagination or self-confidence to create something for a game where using your imagination to create something is kinda the point...again, you have much larger problems.

Having said that, if you are primarily interested in "official Adventure League" play... then you have an honest to goodness problem and I can see the desire for a official, printed archtype(s). But if you aren't doing AL stuff... just make it up already.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Should have made a poll. :)

But yes, absolutely. I literally just posted that in another thread. Sorcerer is broad enough to support 6 or 7 subclasses, easily. Pyro sorcerer, cryo sorcerer (the Elsa build :p), a shapeshifter build, celestial sorcerer, and demonic sorcerer, just for starters.

A shapeshifter sorcerer would be brilliant, especially a changling sorcerer.

Remove ads