D&D 5E Does the Artificer Suck?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
You are wrong about both the warforged & artificer. The warforged is not broken, reasons why have already been provided & compared to some of the core races it might actually be underdone.
Given my post that you quoted, I am surprised you felt the need to respond but hey whatever rocks your boat. Feel free to disagree all you want, I am not about to argue opinions with you. Cheers and bye.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Given my post that you quoted, I am surprised you felt the need to respond but hey whatever rocks your boat. Feel free to disagree all you want, I am not about to argue opinions with you. Cheers and bye.
so you have nothing to support your claim whatsoever? Sounds a lot like you know that your claim is wrong

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The DM's job isn't to win fights. It's to challenge the players. If the DM wants to win a fight, they can just snap their fingers and summon 20 Tarrasques. If they want to give their players a fun, but challenging, combat encounter, they can do a mixture of solutions for a character with a really good AC (AoEs, non-damaging spells that still harm the character, environmental hazards, etc).

Absorb Elements is a reaction, so it's competing with Shield and Flash of Genius. Additionally, there are plenty of AoEs/Save-Against-Half-Damage effects that don't use elemental damage (Green Dragon breath weapons, quite a few spells, etc). Yes, a lot of them are consumable, but if combat is lasting 5 rounds at most, the consumable/recharage abilities will still get their time to shine.

Then don't. Mix in other things (monsters with high bonuses to hit, spells, other saving-throw-effects, environmental hazards, flying creatures that are out of reach of melee characters if the PC is melee, etc). I was just giving one of the main examples. My point was that high AC isn't a "I win" button by the players (DMs have a monopoly on those in D&D, after all), and my other point was that Warforged and Artificers aren't the only way to get really high AC (but you weren't addressing this point).

So? That's a buff to having high AC. High AC should have buffs, otherwise the player will feel cheated out of their abilities and work as a character-creator. However, just like there are ways to damage and debuff PCs that have high AC, there are ways to protect enemy casters that aren't solely reliant upon Opportunity Attacks (abjuration spells, flight, surrounded by guards on all sides to make it so melee characters literally cannot get up to them, etc).

High AC is great, but it's not the end all, be all of character options and optimization in D&D. The DM has literally every tool in existence to make High AC not be a game-breaker in their campaign.
Also…NPCs can have features from feats, and level appropriate enemies should still hit high AC PCs some of the time. Between the OA benefit of War Caster, and the OA movement debuff, NPCs have tools to stop bladesingers.

Hell, spike growth. Sure, spend yet another spell slot getting past damaging terrain to get to the caster that has most of the same tools you have. Like I’ve said before, Bladesingers are very good skirmish strikers and mixed-range artillery. They have some very real limits, though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

This is an example of how NOT to de-escalate and disengage. Odds are good that if these two disagree again, this post- or at least, this attitude- will be remembered, and things will flare up. That’s when a Mod might have to use
RED TEXT.

If you want to stop talking to someone…stop talking to them. It really can be that easy.

Not good enough? Use the Ignore feature. That’s why it exists.

I think a lot of the motivation behind the idea artificers are somehow over tuned is due to the lack of tools presented for DMs to make sure the utilize a good variety of challenge types. So when a player chooses something that can blatantly circumvent the few things the DM uses of course they are going to look OP. The same issue cropped up when they introduced gloom stalkers, eloquent bards, or even as far back as the PHB with certain feat combos blowing through content faster than anticipated.

Artificer naturally sits on top of mitigation curve so it doesn't take much imagination to see where they could specialize and shock the ill prepared.

Nothing wrong with not including content if a DM isn't familiar with it but 5e as a whole have very few real cases of flat out OP/broken player options. Most of which are located in the later levels where they have always struggled to maintain structure.

I think a lot of the motivation behind the idea artificers are somehow over tuned is due to the lack of tools presented for DMs to make sure the utilize a good variety of challenge types. So when a player chooses something that can blatantly circumvent the few things the DM uses of course they are going to look OP. The same issue cropped up when they introduced gloom stalkers, eloquent bards, or even as far back as the PHB with certain feat combos blowing through content faster than anticipated.

Artificer naturally sits on top of mitigation curve so it doesn't take much imagination to see where they could specialize and shock the ill prepared.

Nothing wrong with not including content if a DM isn't familiar with it but 5e as a whole have very few real cases of flat out OP/broken player options. Most of which are located in the later levels where they have always struggled to maintain structure.
That's maybe it.
5e overall is a very balanced edition.
Every "broken" combo has its weakness and they are never so much over the top, that they completely invalidate other characters.
Usually it boils down to adventure steucture.
Too many long rests, so shield is always on. Long rest based classes are generally more powerful than expected.

Remove ads