D&D Movie/TV Dungeons & Dragons Adventures is a 24-Hour Streaming Channel Launching in Summer

New shows feature animation, influencers, and actual plays

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 11.37.53 AM.png

This summer, a new free streaming channel will be launched by eOne, the entertainment company owned by Hasbro. It will be ad-supported and available on multiple (as yet unspecified) platforms and feature a mix of animation, third party influencers, and actual play shows.

The old 1980s Dungeons & Dragons cartoon will be available, along with shows like:
  • Encounter Party is based on an existing podcast and set in the Forgotten Realms.
  • Faster, Purple Worm! Kill! Kill! is a comedy game stream in each episode of which a party of 1st level characters march to their deaths against deadly monsters.
  • Heroes's Feast is a cooking/talk show.

Dire Bare

Legend
You can like D&D and not like the actions of the company that controls its IP. I do it all the time. Ran a session last night. Seemed to get a positive response.
It's not that you, and others, don't like some of the things WotC chooses to do . . . it's that you are so unrelentingly negative about it.

You aren't excited about this new D&D TV streaming channel? Okay, we get it. That's fair, but . . . you seem to be going out of your way to invent reasons why the channel is going to suck.

Don't like some of WotC's books for D&D? Still not happy with how the OGL fiasco shook out from earlier this year? Upset WotC sent the Pinkertons after a Magic streamer? WotC has made a lot of truly big missteps over time, especially recently. And beyond their missteps, it's okay if you aren't a fan of their books, marketing, or other facets of the D&D business. Moving on . . . .

Personally, I'm with @Abstruse. The channel when launched is likely to be . . . okay. Probably not "must see TV". But it does have potential, we'll have to wait and see. Some of us will love the new content mentioned in the OP, some of us will not. And now I'm moving on . . . .

We know it may work, or it may fail. Someones among us have suggested some ideas. Maybe these are good or not.

My suggestion is it shouldn't be only for D&D fandom, but allowing space for vintage speculative fiction, and other TTRPGs even when these are by rival publishers. And maybe some titles could be acquired by Hasbro in the future. And rival titles could be a bait for own ones, for example a program about World of Darkness could be useful to self-promoting Ravenloft. It would be as a program about movies, produced by the own studio, or by rival companies. Or it can be about vintage titles what aren't being published now.

And why not a program about CRPGs?

Remove ads

Remove ads