D&D Movie/TV Dungeons & Dragons Adventures is a 24-Hour Streaming Channel Launching in Summer

New shows feature animation, influencers, and actual plays

Screen Shot 2023-05-12 at 11.37.53 AM.png

This summer, a new free streaming channel will be launched by eOne, the entertainment company owned by Hasbro. It will be ad-supported and available on multiple (as yet unspecified) platforms and feature a mix of animation, third party influencers, and actual play shows.

The old 1980s Dungeons & Dragons cartoon will be available, along with shows like:
  • Encounter Party is based on an existing podcast and set in the Forgotten Realms.
  • Faster, Purple Worm! Kill! Kill! is a comedy game stream in each episode of which a party of 1st level characters march to their deaths against deadly monsters.
  • Heroes's Feast is a cooking/talk show.

Hussar

Legend
Will the shows on D&D TV be cheap or have decent budgets? Will they be worth watching or crap?

Why are you asking us? We're all going to have to wait and see.

Broadcast TV vs on-demand streaming vs a streaming programming schedule . . . what does that have to do with budget or quality? You can find crap shows with poor budgets on all of these models, and you can find quality shows with decent budgets on all of these models.

Oh but you misunderstand. It must be crap. It just has to be. Anything WotC does must be crap because WotC and Hasbro is doing it. It is unthinkable that it won’t be crap. Otherwise the years invested in telling all and sundry that WotC only produces crap might not be true and that revelation would be too much to bear.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Oh but you misunderstand. It must be crap. It just has to be. Anything WotC does must be crap because WotC and Hasbro is doing it. It is unthinkable that it won’t be crap. Otherwise the years invested in telling all and sundry that WotC only produces crap might not be true and that revelation would be too much to bear.

I wont say it will be "crap" but it will be cheap. If they planned to spend actual money on this thing they'd have said it upfront. Instead it's "Tune in to watch our version of Critical Role, a cooking show, and an 80s cartoon." (I love the 80s cartoon and despite owning the box set I will tune in to watch it as well, just like when they streamed on Twitch. both times. WotC got me there.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What they don't need is 6 randos around a table playing yet another 5E campaign. One maybe 2 sure.
Now do the same with cop shows, medical shows and lawyer shows.

No genre is maxed out. You just need to get the right mix of good writing and good performing.
Like the Purple Work show or whatever. Level 1s vs a big bad? That sounds boring as heck.
The people behind it have spent decades entertaining people for a living, so I wouldn't write it off yet.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Oh but you misunderstand. It must be crap. It just has to be. Anything WotC does must be crap ...

Mod Note:
So, it is unclear what possible positive outcome you thought would come from this post.

Going forward, think more on that before clicking "Post reply" please.

Why not on-shot Ravenloft adventure with actors who have worked in horror movies? Here nobody knows who is going to be the survivor, not even the DM or who wrote the story.

Maybe a game-live show is easy to be produced by a streamer and a group of friends, but Hasbro an produces game-live shows with the best VTT. And even later the "remastered version" where the VTT becomes a machinima. Other adventage by Hasbro to produce game-live show is to use licenced franchise. They could talk with some videogame studio for games based in a old franchise. For example a Ravenloft adventure based in the Japanese survival horror videogame "Forbidden Siren". The videogame studio would earn more value for that franchise.

Or a game-live show based in my little pony, but the PCs are centaur-kin, like ha'ponies. Or they could talk with Renegage Games Studios for game-live of Transformers, GI.Joe, Power Rangers and My Little Pony. Maybe using AI to create portraits of the PCs, but with some work by human artists to get the copyright.

I remain on the record -- two decades later -- that there are plenty of salvageable bits from the original movie and am sorry that WotC never published their clearly planned sourcebook that they trotted out some pretty detailed web articles from.
I stole Guildmaster Silas for my own campaign's Thieves Guild a few years ago. Because Richard O'Brien should never be wasted.

In 1994 if you would have told me in the future there will be a super phone computer that does everything or a D&D tv channel I would have said the phone is more likely.

Same. I could never have dreamed of the current world of D&D in a million years. I don't know that I would've envisioned on-demand streaming like we have now, either. "What, like Pay-Per-View?"

Remove ads

Remove ads