• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ends Meat - OOC

Halford

First Post
Well lets see...

First off I am afraid Half-Elves do not get the +2 dex - 2 Con thats Elves, but as you underspent on your point buy thats not a big deal.

For stats how about...

Str 14 costs 6 points
Dex 16 costs 10 points
Con 14 costs 6 points
Int 12 costs 4 points
Wis 10 costs 2 points
Cha 10 costs 2 points

I would also be inclined to recommend Ranger if you want to play a dexterous fighter since they get a nice array of skill points and class skills. You do need to bear in mind that you can only put 4 points into even cross class skills at first level meaning that the maximum number of actual ranks you can have in a cross class skill is 2, at first level.

If you were a fighter you would get twelve skill points to start, if you were a Ranger you would get twenty eight skill points to start.

As for the feats, weapon finesse lets you use your dexterity modifier to hit, not to damage and only with light weapons - though there are some none light weapons which also qualify the rapier being one of these.

Combat Reflexes gives you extra attacks of opportunity equal to your dex modifier, which is far less useful than extra attacks. Read up on attacks of opportunity unless you use a reach weapon you are unlikely to get too many of them.

For equipment you get the the maximum starting wealth for your class, fighter and ranger both start with 240gp to spend. So you can buy whatever you can afford.

Walking Dad

First Post
I may be not the greatest help (my character needs to get approved, too).
But here are my thoughts:

Your abilities could be:
12, 14, 14, 14, 12, 12

Half-Elves have no ability modifier:
Half-Elves

Your maximum skill-rank in a cross-class skill is (level+3)/2
Inyour case = 2

Combat Reflexes give only extra attacks of opportunity, not regular attacks.
Weapon Finesse adds Dex instead of Str to your abilty to hit, not to damage.

Starting gold for your character would be 240gp for buying equipment.

You should use the format here for a LEW character.

Errandir

First Post
Thanks for the help; I'll see what I can do. I also posted in the tavern just to get my character in there, since it's not a thread specific to this adventure.

Errandir

First Post
Ries Moinnael
Half-Elven Ranger

Age – 21
Height – 5’10’’
Weight – 105 lbs

Attributes:
Strength - 14
Dexterity - 16
Constitution - 12
Intelligence - 14
Wisdom - 10
Charisma - 10

Skills:
Weaponsmithing – 4
Armorsmithing - 4
Heal – 4
Move Silently – 4
Listen - 4
Spot - 4
Wilderness Lore - 4
Hide - 4

Feats:
Weapon Finesse (rapier), track

Gear:
Rapier (1d6, 18-20 x2), and five throwing daggers (1d6, 19-20 x2, with a 10 foot range – they were inexpensive, so I got a bunch; the extras can be kept in his pack).
Chain shirt (armor bonus +4, armor check -2, max dex bonus +4) – the listed price on SRD is 100 gp, but it said later it was doubled for medium sized characters, which seems a bit odd.
Backpack, flint and steel, a waterskin, decent traveling clothes, masterwork weaponsmithing tools, bedroll. And, just for kicks, a wooden flute and a carved wooden unicorn for Ehlonna.

Total weight: 52 lbs

I thought that seemed a bit much gear for a level 1 character (especially the masterwork crafting tools and the chain shirt), but it all comes to 192 gp (counting the chain shirt as 200), well under my assigned 260, and I can’t think of much else to get (nothing I need, anyways). Do I keep the rest of the money, or is it just for selecting items?

----------------------------------------------------------

All right, this is what I got the second time, and I think it's feasible. I realize why you suggested more Constitution, but it didn't really fit with the idea of the character I was making (even if the intelligence isn't as useful). Actually, I usually start with an idea of the character as a person, and then build up the fighting skills from there - it doesn't always make great builds, but the characters are usually more interesting.

I think I still need to total up the weight of the pack, so I'll do that in a minute. Please point out anything else I'm missing or have screwed up (I didn't look too closely at how the ranger class affected things, so I should do that too).

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
You should have more kill points: (6+2)*4= 32

I would suggest ranks in listen, survival, spot, ...

You forgot the ranger bonus feat 'Track'.

Halford

First Post
My only problem is Wilderness Law, which doesn't exist, I think is closest to Survival, though there is a chance you mean Knowledge Nature. Check those skills and change it up.

You do get to keep your remaining funds. You could purchase some inexpensive magic items if you like too, perhaps some scrolls of Cure Light Wounds which would be 25gp each - you can use them since Ranger's eventually gain access to the spell. Though you are certainly not required to spend any more.

Otherwise it looks good!

I have posted your prospecive employer's entrance the the red Dragon btw.

Walking Dad

First Post
Wilderness Lore is a 3.0 skill.

It is called 'Survival' in 3.5 and further includes the old 'Intuid Direction'.

No, he cannot use the scroll yet:

To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.
Spell Completion

This is the activation method for scrolls. A scroll is a spell that is mostly finished. The preparation is done for the caster, so no preparation time is needed beforehand as with normal spellcasting. All that’s left to do is perform the finishing parts of the spellcasting (the final gestures, words, and so on). To use a spell completion item safely, a character must be of high enough level in the right class to cast the spell already. If he can’t already cast the spell, there’s a chance he’ll make a mistake. Activating a spell completion item is a standard action and provokes attacks of opportunity exactly as casting a spell does.
Spell Trigger

Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it’s even simpler. No gestures or spell finishing is needed, just a special knowledge of spellcasting that an appropriate character would know, and a single word that must be spoken. Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell. (This is the case even for a character who can’t actually cast spells, such as a 3rd-level paladin.) The user must still determine what spell is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

A ranger has no caster level until level 4. At best, he can perhaps try a caster level check.

Through 3rd level, a ranger has no caster level. At 4th level and higher, his caster level is one-half his ranger level.

Remove ads