• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Falcon and winter solider

Sacrosanct

Legend
Walker crossed a line (and continues to) and it's right that there should be consequences, but . . . . it is heartbreaking to see the U.S. military just abandon him like that. His line of, "You made me, I did what you asked, I did it well" (or words to that effect) was spot on.
Yeah....no. HE thinks that, sure, but the military does not make a person an indiscriminate killer, especially for what he did. There are rules, and codes. There is no excuse for killing a person in cold blood, even for a soldier. In fact, what he did was a betrayal not only of the law, but of his fellow soldiers, because we all know that actions like his put all the rest of us in greater danger.

The military won’t ask you to do what he did, so he’s just outright lying. Just like he lied when he said the man he killed was the one responsible for killing Battlestar.

As a veteran who spent all six years of my service overseas, and having lost three of my friends, what he did was a disgusting disgrace. Blaming the system is a cheap cop out. The military teaches discipline, not vigilante justice. The military can certainly do a lot more to deprogram you when you get out, and support vets better, but this? No. Walker should be in jail for life at minimum.

Staffan

Legend
The military won’t ask you to do what he did, so he’s just outright lying. Just like he lied when he said the man he killed was the one responsible for killing Battlestar.
Yeah, if there's a man responsible for Battlestar's death, that man's name is John Walker. I mean, sure, Morgenthau (IIRC) was the one who actually threw the lethal punch, but it happened in a situation where Wilson was talking to her, and making some progress in getting through, and then Walker shows up and says "enough talk, let's punch."

And at some level, Walker must know that. He probably isn't admitting it to himself, but he does know it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Pretty sure it was just the current crop that was destroyed. I'm sure there are seeds. Killmonger was only worried about immediate challenges to his kingship, in the long term he wouldn't have wanted to lose access to Wakanda's supersoldier serum.
That's not what I got from The Black Panther, but I admit it's not clear cut. When Ross hears that Killmonger burned the Heart Shaped Herb, he responds that he was trained to destabilize foreign countries by striking at transitions of power - such as someone else becoming the Black Panther. It could be read that he was striking at the death of a monarch, but that makes no sense in the context as a response to burning the Heart Shaped Herb.

NAKIA
Killmonger has the full support of
our military . And he burned the
garden of the Heart Shaped Herb.

ROSS
That's what he was trained to do.
His unit used to work with the CIA
to destabilize foreign countries

They would always strike at
transitions of power ... like an
election year or the death of a
monarch.

Transcript from: Black Panther

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
That's not what I got from The Black Panther, but I admit it's not clear cut. When Ross hears that Killmonger burned the Heart Shaped Herb, he responds that he was trained to destabilize foreign countries by striking at transitions of power - such as someone else becoming the Black Panther. It could be read that he was strikign at the death of a monarch, but that makes no sense in the context as a response to burning the Heart Shaped Herb.

Transcript from: Black Panther
I tend to agree with you regarding his intent there. But I also agree that there's no way that was the one and only source of the herb. You don't put all your metaphorical eggs in one basket like that with crops - if nothing else, it would risk the entire crop being destroyed by a single blight or infestation.

And even if Killmonger was extra-thorough off-screen, there are probably still a few of them growing wild in some isolated corner of Wakanda.

Stalker0

Legend
I tend to agree with you regarding his intent there. But I also agree that there's no way that was the one and only source of the herb. You don't put all your metaphorical eggs in one basket like that with crops - if nothing else, it would risk the entire crop being destroyed by a single blight or infestation.

And even if Killmonger was extra-thorough off-screen, there are probably still a few of them growing wild in some isolated corner of Wakanda.
Agreed, it just ensures the herb is gone until the plot needs the herb to return.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Best episode yet, I thought. Nice action scene to kick it off, then a solid amount of character work to pull a lot of strands together. Some mystery introduced and build up to the final confrontation. Very good all around.

Loved the scene with Sam and Isaiah in particular. Glad they came at the topic directly.

MarkB

Legend
I find it interesting that Walker's arm is taking so long to heal from being broken. That alone says this new serum is still inferior to the one give to Rogers.
Or he was faking it in the hope that his superiors wouldn't be aware he'd dosed himself. Otherwise he'd have to expect his "non-honorable" discharge to come with a side-order of enforced hospitalisation and medical examinations.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

The herb only grew in that one spot due to the Vibranium infused soil giving it enhanced magical powers, thats why Killmonger destroying it was so damaging; there is no other source of the herb.

That said Im sure they’ll be able to save it somehow

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads