Falcon and winter solider

Yeah, I noticed that too.
It didn't help that there was also a boat fixing montage in between (actually it might have been just before) the shield throwing montages. Kinda threw the pacing off a little, but overall another really well written episode.
Theory: this would have been corrected in reshoots, but the pandemic prevented reshoots happening so they had to use the footage they had.

MarkB

Legend
I'm not a fan of that idea. You seem to be thinking of that as, well, just one more drug, a pharmaceutical technology.

To the Wakandans, there's a spiritual element to that herb that you aren't going to get by getting it from a test tube.
Perhaps, but they seem to be pretty good at integrating their technological advances into their traditions. And Shuri is enough of a non-traditionalist that she might have gone ahead and done it anyway.

Theory: this would have been corrected in reshoots, but the pandemic prevented reshoots happening so they had to use the footage they had.
Yeah, definitely had the feel, also I think this episode may have had ideas or characters meant to be introduced in the Black Widow movie that needed to be moved around.

BRayne

Adventurer
Yeah, definitely had the feel, also I think this episode may have had ideas or characters meant to be introduced in the Black Widow movie that needed to be moved around.

They confirmed in an interview that the Contessa was supposed to be introduced in Black Widow at the very least. So if she doesn't show up in that last episode it's probably that what she's actually doing was set up there (let's say a post credit scene where she pops up and says "I'm here to talk to you about Project: Thunderbolt" to Yelena).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, but he added those extras in the middle of the montage. At the beginning he was just playing catch with it while standing still. His first throw was even wobbly. The level of skill in his first few throws was less than he displayed with Bucky.

The shield is as much a metaphor as it is a physical object in the fiction. The symbology is the important bit in these scenes. Think of performance with the shield to be as much or more about the character's psychological and emotional state as it is a literally note of their skills.

Or, as a No-Prize answer for the literal minded - when he and Bucky are chucking the old frizbee around, they are relaxed, just talking. They are supporting each other, so the shield moves smoothly back and forth. When the montage happens, Sam really means it, and therefore has a level of tension and anxiety that screws him up until he gets comfortable with the skill, and the role he's taking on.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Perhaps, but they seem to be pretty good at integrating their technological advances into their traditions. And Shuri is enough of a non-traditionalist that she might have gone ahead and done it anyway.

It is an awkward construction, since they already had the issue of the herb being destroyed. If she'd done it in the past, there would have been no major issue at that moment. And then why isn't all of Wakanda filled with Black Panthers?

If she hadn't done it before the herbs were destroyed... afterwards, she doesn't have samples to work with. You can kludge together something, I'm sure, but it starts getting a bit deus ex machina.

Also, dramatically, Shuri ought to have some limits, or she ceases to be interesting.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
For the destruction of the garden to be dramatically meaningful, replacement of the garden must not be easy.

Potential difficulties could be slow growth of the herb, or scarcity of growing sites. The herb might require just the right amount of vibranium, or chemical variation of vibranium, and might require just the right environment. The garden that was destroyed was underground and carefully tended.

TomB

Remove ads