• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Geek Confessional Thread 2024

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I have the problem that I want the setting style of dnd campaigns to be different but nobody ever seems to want it either they want generic, some thing with the generic setting but being used nothing like a dnd adventure(why use dnd to play drow politics) or they play systems I do not care about

TiQuinn

I have the problem that I want the setting style of dnd campaigns to be different but nobody ever seems to want it either they want generic, some thing with the generic setting but being used nothing like a dnd adventure(why use dnd to play drow politics) or they play systems I do not care about

The problem is having a different setting style that still keeps all the same tropes of D&D is really hard to do.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
The problem is having a different setting style that still keeps all the same tropes of D&D is really hard to do.
I don't think that's true. You can play almost any genre "like D&D". The problem is trying to use D&D mechanics when what you are trying to do is regency romance or courtly drama or murder mystery investigation. D&D just doesn't support, and sometimes undermines, those other kinds of play.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I don't think that's true. You can play almost any genre "like D&D". The problem is trying to use D&D mechanics when what you are trying to do is regency romance or courtly drama or murder mystery investigation. D&D just doesn't support, and sometimes undermines, those other kinds of play.
Largely dependent on the edition. I think 3E/PF1 does those things well enough because it has an in-depth skill system alongside numerous sub-systems for exactly those experiences. Something that was scaled back for 5E making it more of a classic D&D experience with little notion thats going to change.

TiQuinn

Naturally, I disagree. :)

I mean, you just came up with two genres that don't support those kinds of tropes, and yet they're not uncommon ones that have been attempted to varying degrees of success. I think the closer you hew to D&D specific tropes, the more "D&D-itized" your setting becomes. It's why, for my money, Eberron never actually feels like Noir or Pulp Action even though that's supposed to be one of the inspirations for the setting. I think you can definitely shoehorn stuff into D&D and come away with something that still works -- that's a different thing altogether. But for some people, it still feels like D&D and not whatever genre it's supposed to be.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Naturally, I disagree. :)

I mean, you just came up with two genres that don't support those kinds of tropes, and yet they're not uncommon ones that have been attempted to varying degrees of success. I think the closer you hew to D&D specific tropes, the more "D&D-itized" your setting becomes. It's why, for my money, Eberron never actually feels like Noir or Pulp Action even though that's supposed to be one of the inspirations for the setting. I think you can definitely shoehorn stuff into D&D and come away with something that still works -- that's a different thing altogether. But for some people, it still feels like D&D and not whatever genre it's supposed to be.
I meant genre as accoutrement -- space ships and haunted houses and spike covered vehicles in the desert.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads