D&D 5E Homebrewed Warlock Patron: The Paradox

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Lookin' good! I think this work well! I'm pretty sure that, by default, temporary hit points only last until you finish a long rest unless specfied, so I dunno if you need to keep the long rest bit on Future Thief.
Yeah, a long rest removes them normally, but given how much some people like messing with word play, without it included here they would argue specific trumps general and say THESE temp hp don't go away on a long rest... So, best to include it.

For Foretold Encounter you forgot to put a limit on how many creatures can be named in there, because with enugh downtime you could just have all of them :p Aside from that I don't see much that needs further work. I'll probably rework the intro text, I think the wording is a little clumsy in spots but that's all.
I added a clause about the current creature type being erased if you write a new one.

Thank you again for the help!
My pleasure! I think this is pretty solid IMO so you know (at least) it is going into one person's homebrew list! ;)

Undrave

Legend
Yeah, a long rest removes them normally, but given how much some people like messing with word play, without it included here they would argue specific trumps general and say THESE temp hp don't go away on a long rest... So, best to include it.
Fair enough!
I added a clause about the current creature type being erased if you write a new one.
What I would have done as well.
My pleasure! I think this is pretty solid IMO so you know (at least) it is going into one person's homebrew list! ;)
Thank you again. I applied your fixed and reworded the intro a little bit, I think it flows better now:

That should be the definitive version for now!

Undrave

Legend
Yep. Looks good to me. :D
(Shameless bumping :p)

Forgot to ask if you think the expended spell list was adequate of it you had better picks? I bet Longstrider feels odd but I felt it's 'speed up' aspect made it time-adjacent enough.

Also the Warlock already gets the Hold spells for that 'time stop' flavour.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
(Shameless bumping :p)
Bump away! :)

Forgot to ask if you think the expended spell list was adequate of it you had better picks? I bet Longstrider feels odd but I felt it's 'speed up' aspect made it time-adjacent enough.
Actually, alarm raised an eyebrow more than longstrider. If you want to remove alarm, perhaps purify food and water with the idea of reversing rot, etc.?

Lesser and greater restoration also seem a bit out of place, but I think I know what you are going for with them, so I didn't think either was totally off-base.

If you want to reconsider restorations, perhaps detect thoughts for a 2nd-level spell with the concept of knowing what someone is thinking or might do because you see glimpses of future or past actions? For a 5th-level option, consider either modify memory or * raise dead* even.

Also the Warlock already gets the Hold spells for that 'time stop' flavour.
FWIW, the spells you have are perfectly acceptable, but the suggestions above might appeal to you as well.

Undrave

Legend
Actually, alarm raised an eyebrow more than longstrider.
Well I was mostly looking for Divination spells that would be useful. I'll take a look at the Warlock Spell List and see if I can think of a missing spell that would be neat. Maybe Detect Poison & Disease or Identify? Guiding Bolt could be funny.

Lesser and greater restoration also seem a bit out of place, but I think I know what you are going for with them, so I didn't think either was totally off-base.
Yup, the idea is to restore a being to a previous state where the curse or whatever wasn't applied.

Also, design wise, a lot of the Expended Spells are never quite PERFECT you know? They fit, but, to me at least, they never look super earth-shattering, with an emphasis on utility instead of sheer power. In this case I feel like Haste and Slow are the real STAR of this expended list, ya know? If all the spells on the Expended List are the best, that would standardize the load out of Warlocks of that patron too much.

Last edited:

Remove ads