D&D 5E How many think that much of Tasha's and post-Tasha's stuff is an abomination, and don't allow it at their table?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per a suggestion from someone who said : "If you want to go start a thread about how the game is on its way to Perdition Itself over Tasha's lineages, you can do that.", I am creating a thread asking the question in the title of the thread, among others.

These are just some of the questions I would like to see answered. I recognize that I am a dying breed, and not dying soon enough for many players that picked up the game in the past 5 years, but I really want to know how many of us are left.

Tasha's Lineage mechanics and so many of the new subclasses, let alone class changes, are pure power leap (hello Twilight Cleric, Peace Cleric). And the child-like stuff we hearing about in Strixhaven, Fizban's, it is destroying the game, which is about killing monsters first, talking about how your characters' mother feels about their life choices a very very distant second.

So, how many believe that allowing 56 base species into the game is catering to 8 year old children, debasing the true essence and tradition of the game?
How many want to see the game return to its roots, where the amount of subclasses is reduced dramatically (18 subclasses of Cleric...really????)
How many want to see a total rebalance of the classes and remaining subclasses, which would mean NERFING some, as opposed to buffing everything else?
How many want to see the Multi-classing mechanic nerfed, so 1 or 2 level dips in Hexblade goes bye bye?

There are a multitude of other questions in the same vein that can be asked.

Helpful NPC Thom

Adventurer
Things I like:
  • Non-combat conflict resolution.
Things I dislike:
  • Lineages.
  • Romance plots.
  • Weirdo races.
  • Power creep.
  • Lack of non-caster options.
So, how many believe that allowing 56 base species into the game is catering to 8 year old children, debasing the true essence and tradition of the game?
How many want to see the game return to its roots, where the amount of subclasses is reduced dramatically (18 subclasses of Cleric...really????)
How many want to see a total rebalance of the classes and remaining subclasses, which would mean NERFING some, as opposed to buffing everything else?
How many want to see the Multi-classing mechanic nerfed, so 1 or 2 level dips in Hexblade goes bye bye?
Yes to all of this, and frankly, I'd love a good OSR-ification of D&D 5e. Make the rules really basic. Battlemaster should just replace fighter, tho.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I am 50 years old and have been playing and running D&D since 1983, in case you want that context. Many of the things in Tasha's and other supplements and optional books are not to my tastes and would never find their way into one of my D&D games. Others I do use. See I pick and choose from what is available for my games (with player input) and I homebrew what I'd like and is not available. While the whole notion of a "true essence" of D&D is both laughable and ahistorical, if I had to identify a "true essence" that would be it: "pick and choose what you want to include and make-up the rest."

All that being said, I am glad that even the stuff that is not for my tastes exists so that other people can play the D&D games they want to play and have fun. And even if I know I would not have fun running one of those games and think I might not have fun playing in one, I'd at least give the latter a try because ultimately while the rules we play with can frame the ability to have fun, the people you are doing it with is at least 50% of that experience as well, so if I thought they were cool, I'd at least try it with an open mind.

Hope that answers your questions.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don’t know whether this is trolling, rabble rousing or plain old gatekeeping, but I don’t feel like spending my Friday evening babysitting this inevitable train wreck.

Also, why shouldn’t 8 year olds play D&D? But that’s another conversation entirely. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads