• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(IC - D&D 3.5) Rathan's Problem Down Under

ethandrew

First Post
Anton moves over to Berrek, dwarfing the scout. "I've never seen anyone like it. But no, he's not like the others, not a walking dead, that's for certain," he stands over the body, looking down.

unleashed

First Post
Eltyr wanders over to see what Berrek’s looking at once he’s finished his cursory examination of the other bodies.

“Hmm, I may have some idea what this creature is, let me take a look,” Eltyr says, crouching to give the unknown body a more thorough going over than the undead which he knows nothing about.

Once he’s done there and has communicated what he found, he also takes some time to examine the golem for his own personal curiosity.

[SBLOCK=OCC]Knowledge (history): 1d20+10 = 26 [for unknown body]
Knowledge (arcana): 1d20+10 = 22 [for the golem][/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Rathan

First Post
You seem to remember reading a bit about King Rakas somewhere a while back.... the tome stated that he had many enemies because he would liberate those cast into slavery along the way in his travels and adventures.... this made him a very popular King no doubt... but it gave him lots and LOTS of enemies.... His most famous of these liberation stories is a fabled trip to the lost cities of the 'Underkingdoms' deep blow the planets surface.

It is said when his adventure was through down there he emerged with a new-found council member not too much unlike to this charred body here you've found.... The figures name was Esondul and people called him a 'dark elf' for is ebony skin and fair silvery hair.... but otherwise he was a slightly shorter exact version of an elven man.... and in time he became the Kings Right hand man and the King trusted him with his kingdom of Hillsbee and his own life itself.

Now this said you would HIGHLY doubt this figure is Esondul himself.... but perhaps these 'dark elves' did not take too kingly to a top worlder liberating their people and came to extract revenge and plunder? who knows.. this is just one explanation that runs through your head...

(You would still need a Knowledge Local check though a little lower with this information... DC 16 to tell the orgin of the 'dark elf' species and any more information on it's weakness' and strengths..)

ghostcat

First Post
Lydia listens to the others and watches them examining the bodies. Finally, even though tactics is not one of her skills, she feels that she needs to give her assessment of the situation, just in case the others go into the tomb without thinking things through first. "I may be completely wrong but the way I read this is that yon body and his buddies opened the tomb and were attacked by the undead. A fight broke out and the desecrators finally won. The question is, are they still inside or not. If not, why didn't they take their friend's body with them when they left?"

"So we have to assuming that they are still inside. Therefore, do we want to go in and start another fight?"

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"I don't think it neccessary follows that desecrators won. When we won this fight none of the undead will rise again. Don't you think it more probable they tried to enter and retreated once they saw these creatures?

Right now I don't have any preference. We didn't spend many resources here and the night is still young. We can check inside since I don't like the idea of some strange creatures desecrating tombs of our heroes."

Ambrus

Explorer
The cracked earth elemental listens to the conjecture being bandied about concerning what may or may not lie within the tomb. Gliding knee deep along the ground, Menhir leaves the inanimate corpse it just struck down, and moves closer to the hill to help resolve the issue. Ignoring the round door altogether, the earth elemental passes into the hill with only a soft rustling of the burnt grass behind it to mark its passage.

[sblock=OOC]Assuming there's an empty space beneath the hill, the elemental will earth glide along the interior ceiling while remaining largely embedded. It'll push its face in for a moment to take a look at the interior with its 60-ft. darkvision.[/sblock]

Rathan

First Post
As you try to pass through the hilly blackened mound Menhir, but your face is stopped dead at a point where the mound would give way into the inner sanctum of the tomb... either this is a metal you can't pass through.. or there is something.. weather it be magical or not within the ground stopping you from gliding into or seeing into the tomb.... you note the blockage is about 3 feet below the surface of the actual dirt mound itself though.... for now your only viable way inside this kings tombs is the round pristine door....

You CAN tell however within the ground though you can't SEE into it... or MOVE through it.... you can sense and feel things though this barrier... or should I say lack thereof... you sense no movement of any kind within the tomb as far as you can tell...

[sblock=Edit Note: For those of you with Detect Magic still up or able to cast it:] The door is shedding a magical Good aura of evocation..... and through more study you also detect fire evocation as well cleverly hidden in the magic weave of the door...[/sblock]

Last edited:

unleashed

First Post
“Well, from what I recall, this looks to be the body of a dark elf ... but I can’t tell you much more about their race than their name,” Eltyr says after examining the body, “Though history does give me an idea of what one might be doing here.”

If anyone asks, he retells the story that came to mind above.

When Berrek says they didn’t spend many resources, Eltyr remarks, “Perhaps you didn’t spend many resources Berrek, but I’ve cast pretty much all the offensive magic I had prepared. So I’d certainly prefer we leave any further exploration of the tomb, unless it’s just a cursory look around the perimeter and an examination of the entrance, until the morning when I can prepare more such magic.”

He then moves up to the door and casts detect magic to check whether there is any magic protecting the tomb entrance.

[SBLOCK=OOC]I realise the result of the detect magic has already been posted, so I don’t expect a further response to that action. ;)[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Very well. I'll scout around while you analyze the door."

Berrek enters surrounding bushes and is quickly lost to sight or hearing. He goes full circle around the mound searching for alternate entrances, hidden doors or more enemies.

OOC: Did Berrek detect any traps on the door via search skill? He did look at it in details for full minute (taking 20?)...(He would note that they are magical from his earlier detect, but because of wasting round on scanning the golem he doesn't have duration left to concentrate on the door...so only mundane search results for him...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads