log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

"I'm afraid so, mate." said the Wren softly, "At least until we find out what's goin' on here."

Then, "Wassya all leavin' for, ya've barely had a sip! Fine, fine. I guess there's more fer me!"
 

log in or register to remove this ad

The porter that carried Miss Imogen's bag to her room slipped her a small note in exchange for a copper tip.

It read, in code:

Imogen,

If you are reading this, then you got my invitation, for which I am glad. It will be very nice to see you again! But if you have arrived in time, there is urgent business to be taken care of. For our gain, I have allied myself with some others. One of which is Klevin Van'Sharen at the Weave of Life in Merchant Ward. Please seek him out. Afterwards, if time permits you, come and visit me by asking for Pock-Marked Po in the Old City.

Uncle.


OOC: She is curious how Pock-Marked Po could be her Uncle. He is a very handsome man.
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Miss Imogen thanks the porter and smiles kindly. Languidly she rolls her body around the house post and places her full weight on her feet again, as she slips the message away. She is the first to the door, and holds it open for the others as they leave, and follows them.

Outside, she says to the others, "I was heading to the Weave of Life myself. I hope you don't mind if I accompany you."

As they journey, she tries to get her bearings -- Hotel, port, Weave, and old city.
 

EarlyBird

First Post
Gulping down his wine Dellrak stood after the others, then as he walked towards the door he grabbed Rodrigo's cup and gulps that down as well.

"Ahhh," he gasped when he could breath once more.

*blech*

"Sorry," he said as he hurried past the door held by the bowmen. bow-woman, archer.
 


Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Rodrigo's stern look broke into a half smile at the dwarf's antics. "It would be a shame indeed to waste the wine".

Looking around he adds "So good of you to rejoin us Miss Imogen. Are we all here? I am sure that you are as eager as I to, ah, get to business, and perhaps gain some clarity as well. Based on what the good captain said of the city layout, we must retrace our steps back to the harbor and then continue west to the Merchant Ward. That is where we will find our goal... the carpet merchant. Let us hope he doesn't send us to see a cobbler or somesuch ..." he ended with a sniff.
 

The group returned to the streets of Port Nyanzaru and the oppressive heat. They travelled downhill toward the Harbour Ward, and back up toward the Merchant Ward. Here the streets were wide and crowded with palanquins, servants, and enormous long-necked beasts of burden, weighed down with crates and saddle-bags. Some carried ten or more people while comfortably stomping along.

They found the Weave of Life rug and tapestry shop, and Rodrigo was relieved to find that his Alliance contact was no simple weaver. The shop held a large workhouse with many hands weaving, hooking, and spinning while Klevin Van'Sharen greeted customers in a large, airy covered pavilion draped in a colourful assortment of his wares. It was a simple thing to find a spot amongst the beautiful hanging tapestries where one could have a private conversation, while Van'Sharen's many assistants ran about helping the shop's 'real' customers.

Klevin Van'Sharen bowed in the local style and offered the group a sweet, fruity beverage from a colourfully painted ceramic decanter. "I am glad you have arrived, I have put some agents on my... case, but I do not trust them to effectively pull it off. You see, the local group of thieves and smugglers (no relation the honest merchants of the Zentarim, of course) is bringing in some contraband by their usual route - some tunnels dubbed 'the Serpent's Coils' that connect the Tiryki Ancorage to the Harbour Ward under the city walls. The group I have hired plan to try to capture the contraband as it arrives by boat, but if you could venture into the coils, we are sure to get it before it disappears into the city."
 

EarlyBird

First Post
"Going underground, 'eh?" The gruff dwarf comments with a little delight. "Sounds good ta me."

"But if ya plans on hirin us, ya best be talking in gold, and not in flowery thank yous."
 

Van'Sharen looks insulted at the very idea that he wouldn't pay, "Of course there will be gold. Nothing happens without there is gold."

He snaps his fingers an a servant arrives with a dark-stained box. Inside the box is rows of neatly-stacked coins on a blue-satin inlay. "Ten each to start, fifteen more when you return. I am looking for an artifact secreted within the usual contraband. It should be ancient, metal - an amulet or brooch. Finely crafted. I'm afraid I can't give you much more than that."
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
"Miss Imogen," she introduces herself. "Do you have a sense of when the cargo is due to arrive?" she asks, clearly revelling in the thought of dank corridors. She reaches over and takes one stack of coins, advance payment for the advice she is about to give. "We can -- or I can -- of course follow your instructions. But the chokepoint is the harbour and the unloading of ships. Placing a second team there increases your chance of recovery, especially if you know the cargo has not yet arrived." She works hard not to roll her eyes. "Is the other team trustworthy? Will they know of us? If there is any reason to suspect them, they might choose to avoid the tunnels and the your artifact for themselves. In addition to the access to the Coils, we should keep an eye on the other group."

She falls silent.
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Rodrigo was at first pleased by the circumstances and drank the beverage with pleasure. Now this was civilized! But afterwards... he grew a bit didquieted. The mission was not what he expected. Was Van'sharen testing them?

"I thank you for the most excellent beverage, capital in this heat. But... I have questions. "

"First, do we know when they will go by? Timing will matter here. Second, what is their usual contraband, and what is to happen of it? Third, will this trigger a conflict between us - or you - and the local thieves' guild or whatnot? And fourth... is this linked to the curse?"

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app
 

Fradak

Explorer
"I don't want to speak fo the others but I didn't cross the sea to become an henchmen. I'm here for the curse and your mission involving thugs or ruffians doesn't concern me. So, with all the respect, I don't care about your money. Do you have any information about the curse or are we loosing a precious time?"
 
Last edited:

"That is very good advice, but it may be too late. I was forced to act quickly. I don't think my hirelings will betray me, but there is a great possibility that they will botch the job. I will give you instructions on how to find the entrance to the Serpents' Coils, but I'm afraid there is not enough time for much reconnaissance. By the time you arrive, the cargo will most likely be on it's way into the city."

He gives a hand-drawn map to Rodrigo.
 

"The Curse is on everyone's mind, constantly. The only lead we have has to do with this artefact, though I know not in what way it connects - yet. The artefact must be retrieved before that can be properly determined."

He has a sip of his juice and continues to answer questions. "I will not lie. The information I have regarding this shipment comes from my allies in the Zentarim. I suspect that they will follow up your raid with securing the Coils for their own operations. This could possibly annoy the local underworld."

He sounds like he doesn't consider it too great a concern.
 

gargoyleking

Adventurer
The nameless sits silently as the negotiations take place. He listens intently but lets others do the talking.

Squirrels are evil!
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Rodrigo showed a faint smile - the conversation had been enlightening - both about the local situation but also his companions. Silence, enthousiasm, focus, questions... all good traits, at the right time. He turned towards the Templar of Kelemvor.

"Brother Chrysagon, I trust this addresses your objection? Besides, should this prove a dead end - no pun intended I assure you! - it will be beneficial for us to work together and learn each other's tactics and capabilities. We may have greater foes ahead, and such experience will benefit us.

Thank you Van'Sharen for the information, I believe we will do ask you ask... beside I know I can use the coin. We should move quickly then and get in position - hopefully we can find a good ambush position...

... although... any ideas on their numbers? Or the nature of the regular contraband?"
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
Miss Imogen nods at the explanation, silently accepting the mention of the Zentarim without acknowledging her connection. "Very well, then," she says. "I for one accept the commission. How will we learn that the artefact is recovered by the first team, which is (presumably) what you expect to happen?" She is curt, but sincere in the question, and she waits for a response.

She's prepared to go to the Coils.
 

Fradak

Explorer
"I hear you Sir Rodrigo, but I'm not here to make one's fortune or extend the Black Network's grasp on the Realms. I count on you to stay on course and focused on our mission, with the hope that this artefact will help us to understand what we are confronted with. Now that this point has been cleared up, how do we find this Serpents' Coil?"
 

EarlyBird

First Post
"Ummm... I be ready too 'sept," the dwarf starts to say then lowers his eyes. "Since we be in the area maybes we be able to shops for a few things first?"

His question comes with a squirm as he adjusts, the tight scalemail around his hips.

[sblock]Just want to grab a battle axe nothing serious. I have a great post in mind to grab one on the way to the coils.[/sblock]
 

"To answer the lady first, if my other group gets there first then you will either meet them or you will not find it. Return to me and I will let you know if they succeeded. I'm afraid that is the best we can do. The leader of my hirelings is a Calishite man by the name of Manollo. He has a great moustache that you can't miss. Don't shoot the man with the moustache and all will be well." (He sounds like he doesn't much care if you mess that part up.)

Some customers came between the hanging rugs and Van'Sharen shuffled the group away under the pretense of 'showing something finer'. An assistant was quick to intercept the new customers. When the group was alone again he continued, "I have found the Black Network, even with all their illicit dealings, to be superior to any local thugs and ruffians. Their greater ambition keeps their operations further from the lives of regular honest folk and they are more concerned with threats to the status quo - threats such as this Death Curse - and are willing to invest vast resources toward them. I would not be so quick to judge them."

Finally he turned to the uncomfortable dwarf. "The vast market of the Grand Souk is just over there. If you are quick, it should not effect the outcome of the mission for you to be dressed more... comfortably. In fact, you all should try the local dress, it is much better for the climate. But perhaps that can wait."
 

Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top