5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Chult
Morning
Round 0

Dellrack didn’t say much. He and Kasqa rowed through the jungle, keeping an eye out for trouble. Occasionally it proved rough going as the vegetation obscured the way and they had to hack through the thick foliage.

OOC: I rolled Athletics for both Dellrack and Kasqa in the OOC thread.


OOC: 19 points of goodberries available.


Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action: Planar Warrior
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 40/40 HD: 4/4d10+2

Bolts: 19
Bolts used: 0
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/3 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider


Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Not long after the Sticks left the Tabaxi village, they were back on the murky water of the Aldani Basin, but now relearning to travel with the reedboat canoes. Miss Imogen found it very difficult: it appeared that the catfolk had longer arms than her, and sat deep in the canoe where she had trouble reaching her paddle to the water. To make matters worse, for her to sit higher (by piling up supplies under her) then that made the watercraft dangerously unstable. She quickly found herself swapped out into the tabaxi's boat in the central, passenger's position, and Myrral kept making strange purring noises at her, which she was not sure what they meant.

The group made good time, following the eastern 'coast' of the basin, (if it could be called that, the waterways made ways in and out, and they were carrying the canoes nearly as often as paddling them) and they covered nearly twenty miles before they stopped to camp on a muddy island topped by a lone ancient and twisted tree. They saw many birds, snakes, crocodiles, and some very large flat-snouted beasts (hadrosaurs) that swam past in a herd, and then climbed out of the water and bounded off into the jungle while making loud honking noises.

The following afternoon, they reached a spot where it seemed reasonable to stash the canoes while heading inland to find the Heart of Ubtao, as had been discussed the night before. Today, it was solidly raining, and to make visibility worse, a mist shrouded the basin so that the rain seemed to travel up as much as it did down. Still, they had seen the Heart the day before, floating above the jungle, and Hup'lo was confident that he could lead them toward it.

They stashed the canoes and made their way on foot through the jungle, hacking at vines and following dry(ish) creekbeds. It was hard going and they had to backtrack a few times when Weed tried to take them on a path that only he could follow, slipping between vines over a foot-thick with only a few inches between them. The tabaxi were happy to go over obstacles that were near-impossible for the humans to climb. Still, they moved forward hour after hour, mile after mile.

Late that afternoon, with the hope of reaching the Heart early the next day, there was a roar from not far off in the jungle. Then the trees began to sway at their tops and the group scattered into the thick underbrush to hide as an enormous ape burst into view. The creature was wide-eyed in anger and terror and it spun about, trying to shake something from its back: Ghouls. There were three man-sized ghouls on its back, tearing and biting at its flesh, and four more came through the ferns, chasing the enormous beast.

OOC: You can roll Stealth for free, if you want to start your turn hidden, but it won't make any difference if you chose to move right away afterward.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
GM: Encounter: The Sticks vs Ghouls vs a Giant Gorilla in the Chultan Jungle
Ape1.jpg

Locations:
(BGs) Ape (V8Y11); Ghast1 (V8); Ghast2 (AA3); Ghoul1 (V9); G2 (Y8); G3 (Z5); G4 (AB4);G5 (AD4);
(PCs) Chrysagon (18); Dellrak (K17); Imogen (B10); Harb (E19); Myrral (E17); Rodrigo (G19);
(NPCs) Braapp (K18); Grrol (I17); Hup'Lo (G15); Kasqa (G14); Qawasha (C10); Weed (B9); Ukee (J12)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Chrysagon AC18* HP 36/36 HD 4/4 PP10* SS 3/3 CD 1/1 (Res Nec&Rad)
Dellrak AC15 HP 40/40 HD 4/4 PP14* SS 3/3 (Res Poison)
Harb AC15 HP 27/27 HD 4/4 PP14 KI 4/4
Imogen AC16 HP 31/31 THP 0/5 HD 4/4 PP12 SS 2/2
Myrral (Dew) AC14 HP 26/26 HD 4/4 PP14* SS 4/4 3/3 Ins 3/3
Rodrigo AC18* HP 36/36 HD 4/4 PP14 SD 4/4
(NPCs)
Braapp (Climbing Vine) AC14 HP 33/33 HD 6/6 PP13*
Grrol (Rockmoss) AC14 HP 33/33 HD 6/6 PP13*
Hup'Lo AC12 HP 6/16 HD 3/3 PP12*
Kasqa AC13 HP 17/17 HD 3/3 PP11
Qawasha AC11(16) HP 27/27 HD 5/5 PP14 SS 4/4 3/3
Kupalue (Weed) AC13 HP 9/9 HD 2/2 PP12*
Ukee AC12 HP 3/3 HD 1/1 PP13
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
Giant Ape
27
Ghast1 0; Ghast2 0;
Ghoul1 0; Ghoul2 0; Ghoul3 0; Ghoul4 0; Ghoul5 0;
Begin Round One
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OOC: I will probably post tomorrow, but I'll just say this - I cannot imagine the druid letting this go by. He hates undead and this would be intolerable to him. And Rodrigo would follow his lead.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
OOC: Absolutely. To Qawasha, the Gorilla is a magnificent beast, to be revered (even worshipped). The Ghouls are an abomination. The worst thing he can possibly imagine.
 

Kobold Stew

Adventurer
The mere sight of the undead creatures makes Miss Imogen retch, as memories wash over her of the smell and the unholy flesh.

She draws her bow, and nocks an arrow, a reflex that is completed before she even is certain she has a target.

She knows not to get close. Distance is her ally. She positions herself so as to have a shot, targets the nearest ghoul, and fires. Unfortunately, the shot goes wild as the arrow hits a rotting stump.

OOC: Move up to 30', ideally away/laterally to have a clear shot. Maybe at C6?
Attack (with sharpshooter) Ghoul 1 at V9: 1d20+2=6; if a hit, damage = 1d8+13=18.
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
Myrral growls something to his companions and rushes forward fast toward the gorilla and the undead. But instead of keeping the mad rush he flies up the palm in the clearing.

Looking from on high, he can clearly see the monsters climbing the wide back of the poor beast. While the gorilla would represent a danger to the village if it wasn't noticed on time, it would really be an event that tabaxi hunters would miss such a large beast. And they weren't usually this aggravated.

He whispers into his hand and points toward one of the ghouls, the whispers becoming a path of susurration moving the leaves and small branches until it breaks into the undead monster.

Move: Feline Agility, move 60 of which last 20' is upward on the M16
Action:
Dissonant whispers: 3D6 = [4, 4, 5] = 13
on V9 WIS DC 13 or has to run away from Myrral full speed (save for half damage and no running away)
Bonus action: Inspiration on Dellrack - KahlessNestor
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
Harb thought about hiding and seeing what was likely to transpire before rushing in, but others were already attacking the ghouls. This creature was huge, and he worried about running afoul of it's blows in it's rage and terror. So he drew his bow as he moved up, firing an arrow at the nearest ghoul while not presenting himself as an immediate threat to the gorilla. "What manner of beast is this?"

Ukee
Ukee was aware of her new human's feelings. She didn't understand much more than that he was worried about her. She was scared too, and she decided to be safe, flying from his shoulder, she dove into the nearest patch of cover, trying to hide.


Move forward and firing his shortbow. Shortbow: 1d20+5 16 1d6+3 5
[/spoiler
 

Fradak

Explorer
"Lord of the Damned,
Yours is the path of Judgment,
Yours is the path of Death
And I am your instrument."


Chrysagon invokes the power of Kelevor lighting up his flail as the chain drops down.

OOC: Protection vs Evil and movement toward the undead.

 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Rodrigo, as soon as he saw the undead, glanced at the druid, who was already casting. Of course he would attack the dead. Well it was time to keep their end of the bargain. He rushed forward to form a front line with the Paladin.

"Hold Sir Chrysagon, the druid is up to some artifice - let our archers hit them from afar, we will stand here" With that, he drew his blades.

Action: Move towards Chrysagon to form a front line. If possible, ready an action to attack first undead coming in range.

Looking over his shoulder, he added to the others:

"Stand behind us, we will hold them back" He trusted the others would lengthen the line or shoot, according to the best of their abilities.

Rodrigo Di Castalone, Human Fighter (battlemaster, criminal(spy)), level 4
HP: 36/36, Hit dice: 4/4
AC: 18
Passive Perception 14
Rapier: +6 to hit, 1d8+6 dmg
Main Gauche (if used main-handed and not to parry) +6 to hit, 1d4+4 or +6 dmg
Crossbow: +6 to hit, 1d8+4 dmg, range 80/320
Darts: +6 to hit, 1d4+4 dmg, range 20/60
Saves: Str: +3, Dex: +4, Con: +4, Int: +1, Wis: +2, Cha: 0
Superiority dice: 4/4, Action surge: free, Second wind: free
Maneuvres: Riposte, Parry, Trip (DC 14)
Potions of healing remaining: 2
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Qawasha took a step forward, his face contorted in anger and anguish. This could not stand!

Although he wanted desperately to help the Ape now, he knew he had to delay the other undeads to let the archers of the group do their work. He raised his hands and inked the wild powers of the jungle:

Action: Cast entangle. Target is the group of undead behind the ape (the ones not engaged, not the one on the ape's back). Effect: 20 foot square is difficult terrain. "A creature in the area when you cast the spell must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be restrained by the entangling plants until the spell ends. A creature restrained by the plants can use its action to make a Strength check against your spell save DC. On a success, it frees itself. " Spell DC is 12.

Qawasha, level 4 druid
Armor Class
11 (16 With Barkskin)
Hit Points 27 (5d8 + 5), hit dice = ?
Skills Medicine +4, Nature +3, Perception +4
Senses Passive Perception 14
Saves = ?
STR 10 (+0) DEX 12 (+1) CON 13 (+1) INT 12 (+1) WIS 15 (+2) CHA 11 (+0)
Languages Common, Chultan, and Druidic
Spellcasting. The druid is a 4th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 12, +4 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following druid spells prepared:
Cantrips (at will): druidcraft, produce flame, shillelagh
1st level (4 slots): entangle, longstrider, speak with animals, thunderwave (3/4)
2nd level (3 slots): animal messenger, barkskin (3/3)
Quarterstaff. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit (+4 to hit with shillelagh), reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) bludgeoning damage, 4 (1d8) bludgeoning damage if wielded with two hands, or 6 (1d8 + 2) bludgeoning damage with shillelagh.

OOC: Who's playing Weed?
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
"Neither would I. A fireball would be nice right about now. My father fought besides battlemages. Spoke highly of them, but some were... careless. They didn't last long"
 

KahlessNestor

Explorer
Chult
Morning
Round 1

“More undead,” Dellrak muttered. He moved through the jungle toward the ape, pulling out his crossbow as he went. Best to get those ghouls off the ape, and maybe the thing would help them. At the very least, it could run off. Dellrak sighted his crossbow and fired, putting a little magic into it.

OOC: 19 points of goodberries available.


Save:
Move: To P12
Free Object Interaction: Draw crossbow
Action: Heavy Crossbow attack nearest ghoul on ape
Heavy Crossbow Planar Ally: 1D20+5 = [12]+5 = 17
1D10+1D8+1 = [10]+[1]+1 = 12

Bonus Action: Planar Warrior
Reaction: Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Dellrak Character Sheet
Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 15
HP: 40/40 HD: 4/4d10+2

Bolts: 18
Bolts used: 1
Arrows: 19
Arrows used:

Detect Portal (1/R): Within 1 mile
Planar Warrior: As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The next time you hit that creature on this turn with a weapon attack, all damage dealt by the attack becomes force damage, and the creature takes an extra 1d8 force damage from the attack. When you reach 11th level in this class, the extra damage increases to 2d8.
Primeval Awareness (action and spell slot): For one minute per level of spell slot, detect within 1 mile (6 in favored terrain) aberrations, celestials, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead. This feature doesn’t reveal the creatures’ location or number.

Spells
1) 3/3 Protection from Evil/Good (Horizon Walker), Jump, Goodberry, Longstrider


Rodrigo Di Castalone - male human fighter
Miss Imogen - female samurai, party member, Zhentarim
Chrysagon - male aasimar paladin, Order of the Gauntlet, Kelemvor
Harb - male human monk
Myrral - Tabaxi bard?
Qawasha (NPC) - Chultan druid
Kupalue (Weed, NPC) - vegepygmy
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Everyone

The Sticks and their allies spread out, with Rodrigo and Chrysagon forming a front line while Kasqa and Hup'lo found a spot to both hide and to stash the supplies they were carrying. Miss Imogen and Weed moved northward, where the vegepygmy disappeared into the underbrush and the archer took aim at one of the ghouls on the gorilla's back. Just as she let her arrow fly, the ape lunged forward, taking the ghoul with it, and her arrow went off into the jungle, never to be seen again.

Myrral ran up a tree, which bounced softly under his weight. From that vantage, he cast a spell which caused one of the ghouls to jump off of the gorilla's back and to run away as fast as it could. Grrol and Brapp stood their ground behind the front line, and Brapp shot an arrow into one of the ghouls while Grrol's arrow whizzed past the gorilla's nose. The ape could clearly not tell friend from foe, and it hurled itself forward, heading straight for Rodrigo and Chrysagon.

Qawasha, in his outrage, raised his staff and caused the jungle to writhe with grasping vines, catching three of the ghouls that were chasing the gorilla. Two of them broke free, but one was wrapped tight as it clawed and chewed at the vines, trying in vain to get out.

Dellrak had also moved north, and found that the gorilla ran right past him. He put a quarrel into one of the ghouls on the ape's back, and turned to find a ghoul bursting out of the jungle right in front of him.

As Ukee disappeared under a fern, Harb fired an arrow into the same ghoul on the gorilla's back as the others had before him. It now had two arrows and a quarrel sticking out of its back, but still, it held onto the gorilla, tearing at the flesh of the ape's back with long, fiendish black claws. The ape bellowed and as it came barrelling toward the Stick's front line, it rolled. The ghouls were thrown off, and an enormous foot came smashing into Chrysagon as the ape came back up onto its feet.

GM: Damage Taken:
(BGs) GL1 13 (Myrral's Whispers); GST1 8 & 5 (Brapp & Harb's Arrows) & 12 (Dellrak's Quarrel);
(PCs) Chrysagon 27 (Ape foot stomp); (NPCs) None
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
GM: Encounter: The Sticks vs Ghouls vs a Giant Gorilla in the Chultan Jungle
Ape2.jpg

Locations:
(BGs) Ape (N16Q19); Ghast1 (Q14); GST2 (W9); Ghoul1 (AG4); GL2 (S15); GL3 (Z5); GL4 (Z8); GL5 (R12);
(PCs) Chrysagon (L17); Dellrak (P12); Imogen (C6); Harb (J18); Myrral (M14); Rodrigo (L18);
(NPCs) Braapp (K16); Grrol (I17); Hup'Lo (D20); Kasqa (D19); Qawasha (I8); Weed (C9); Ukee (F12)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Chrysagon AC18* HP 9/36 HD 4/4 PP10* SS 3/3 CD 1/1 (Res Nec&Rad)
Dellrak AC15 HP 40/40 HD 4/4 PP14* SS 3/3 (Res Poison)
Harb AC15 HP 27/27 HD 4/4 PP14 KI 4/4
Imogen AC16 HP 31/31 THP 0/5 HD 4/4 PP12 SS 2/2
Myrral (Dew) AC14 HP 26/26 HD 4/4 PP14* SS 4/4 3/3 Ins 3/3
Rodrigo AC18* HP 36/36 HD 4/4 PP14 SD 4/4
(NPCs)
Braapp (Climbing Vine) AC14 HP 33/33 HD 6/6 PP13*
Grrol (Rockmoss) AC14 HP 33/33 HD 6/6 PP13*
Hup'Lo AC12 HP 6/16 HD 3/3 PP12*
Kasqa AC13 HP 17/17 HD 3/3 PP11 (Hidden 13)
Qawasha AC11(16) HP 27/27 HD 5/5 PP14 SS 4/4 3/3
Kupalue (Weed) AC13 HP 9/9 HD 2/2 PP12* (Hidden 12)
Ukee AC12 HP 3/3 HD 1/1 PP13 (Hidden 20)
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
Giant Ape
32
Ghast1 25; Ghast2 0;
Ghoul1 13; Ghoul2 0; Ghoul3 0 (Restrained); Ghoul4 0; Ghoul5 0;
End Round One; Begin Round Two
 

Neurotic

Adventurer
OOC: Wasted round and resources. Sorry all.


Myrral let out some purring noise, but due to all the crashing and screams it wasn't heard. What was heard was his call to his companions in Tabaxi language.
"Keep shooting! Kill them all!"
Unfortunately for all involved, enraged gorilla heard a jaguar cry, fairly loud, fairly close and just behind it. Perfect ambush and the ape brain reacted accordingly.

Animal Handling on the gorilla 1d20+1+1d6=[1]+1+[4]=6
 

Advertisement

Top