5E (IC) Rise of the Dracolich

gargoyleking

Explorer
Finally the leader shows up and suddenly all the trolls are running after the shape. With a sigh, mord ordered his skeletoms to follow them and started jogging along himself.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Trolls vs Skraggs

The trolls clambered down the ice-shelves and reached the bottom, a slick-flat surface of slush-covered ice. They moved forward in the fog, and Mord, who was passed from skeleton-to-skeleton before he reached the bottom, could only just make out their large shadows in the fog as they formed two fronts to pass around an ice-pillar on either side.

From both sides of the ice-pillar other forms moved. From the troll's perspective, they saw a troll coming through the fog on either side. One of them said, "Hey Bruddah, wotchoo doin' doon har?" before gasping as the troll lumbered toward him.

It was grotesque - eyes bulging, skin cracked and oozing. The troll had been drowned and returned to unlife by foul magic.

"Dey bin Nekkermunched!" shouted a troll, to gasps, growls, and grunts from the others.

OOC: All the trolls (not the skeletons) need to roll a dc12 Wisdom Save or be Frightened for 1 minute. They won't flee (they're too tough and dumb for that) but they'll have the condition for 10 rounds, which would suck. Wait for me to roll the round before attacking or anything, though. It took long enough just to get down and move forward.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Sesto & his Kobold Zombies

In spite of his borrowed crampons, Sesto lost his footing and he slid past his kobold zombie minions, who toppled over themselves, sliding after him. The crack was rough, steep, and full of sharpish ice. As Sesto slid over the ledge, scarmbling, Lorenn whipped a sea-bird's feather out of his pocket and blew it toward them. The cleric and his minions mimicked the falling feather, floating back-and-forth as they tumbled, and Sesto was able to grab the lower ice-ledge and pull himself up onto it. He caught the zombies's rope and pulled them over as if they weighed like the feather, and the last zombie hopped down.

Looking over the ledge of his secondary ice-shelf, Sesto saw that they would have fallen further, onto a patch of fiendish ice-spikes that were hidden in the fog in a deep fissure below the south corner of the crack.

Alhana

Alhana had been further back, but when Sesto had fallen, she too lost her footing, but the spry elf gracefully wedged herself in the corner of the crack, dangerously above the potentially harmful fall, but safe, for the moment.

Primus

Having seen the others have these troubles, Primus stayed close to the north-west wall and he worked his way safely to the rope and climbed carefully down to the ice-ledge below.

GM: Damage Taken:
(BGs) None;
(PCs) Sesto 6 (Icy scrapes from sliding);
(NPCs) KZ1 6; KZ2 3; KZ3 2; KZ4 4; KZ5 0 (Icy scrapes from sliding)
 

Prickly Pear

Explorer
Sesto draws himself up on the ledge. That was a close call, he thought and waved back at Lorenn as a thank you. His kobold minions were also safe.
Sesto looked down where he would have ended up and thought that his Cat's Grace would probably not have helped there either. He then moved his gaze past Oggsbruff and tried to see if anything was moving in the mist below. Maybe they were lucky and nobody noticed their entrance.

OOC: Con Save for Spell Concentration DC10 (adv War Caster): 2d20k1+2 16
Move up next to Oggsbruff.
Action: Perception check: 1d20+5 6. Hmm, you'd think that someone with passive perception of 15 would see better than a 6 when actively staring at something. LOL. It's probably the mist...
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Sesto climbed up on the shelf and began to move toward Oggsbruff, but the big troll had climbed over the ledge and down a level, moving across the treasure-shelf toward the next drop-off.

Kalorn had held back, worried that his leg would cause him to fall and slide to oblivion. He had seen a book in the scriptorium that called to him, its spine bound in glowing runes. He wondered what wonders the book held, but he knew that this was no time to look at it.

Eko and Sooty spread out, with the owl heading toward the east and the bat heading toward the west. One level down, shrouded in mist, Sooty spotted a troll-sized creature moving through the freezing fog.

OOC: Sesto can't keep going until I roll the round, which I'm about to do. You can decide what to do from my map. I think that Sooty is too far away from Kalorn to communicate his findings (a hundred feet, right?) but when Kalorn gets down, I'll have him fly close enough to report. At any rate, I'm gonna roll the round...
 

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Kalorn looked away from the book. It was probably cursed, or trapped, or utterly evil. It was bad enough that he had a demon leg.

"Time to earn your keep" he muttered to it.

He started climbing slowly, methodically. He muttered prestidigitations to create dirt patches on the ice, increasing his grip.

athletic check climbing: 1D20+5 = [3]+5 = 8


It wasn't enough. (OOC: Unless I get advantage ;) )
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
GM: Encounter: Imani's Agents & Oggsbruff vs Old Icy Death in his Lair on Oyaviggaton
IceLairW1.jpg

Locations:
(BGs)IcyDeath (???); Skragg1 (AB30); Sk2 (xx)
(PCs)Alhana (BM12); Kalorn (BN14); Lorenn (AY23); Primus (BF17); Sesto (BF20);
(NPCs)Oggsbruff (AV28); Loklafd (BD18); Eko (AK32); Sooty (BE33);
(Undead)KoboldZombie1 (BC21); KZ2 (BD20); KZ3 (BD21); KZ4 (BE20); BF19 (xx);
Encounter: Mord & Ice Trolls vs Cult of the Dragon in East Lair of Oyaviggaton
IceLairE1.jpg

Locations:
(BGs)Skragg5 (CQ47); Sk6 (CZ43);
(PCs)Mord (DC49); (NPCs)MordTroll1 (DB50); MT2 (DD48);
(Trolls)Sargloth (DA45); Oogabooga (CU48); IceTroll1 (CY46); Oodnadatta (DC44); IT3 (CV50); IT4 (CY50)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Alhana AC17 HP 68/68 HD 8/8 PP14*
Kalorn AC16(21)* HP 63/63 THP5/5 HD 8/8 PP15 WSS 1/2 EKSS 2/2
Lorenn AC17(20) HP 54/54 HD 8/8 PP14* SS 3/4 3/3 3/3 Song 2/2
Mord AC14 HP 45/51 HD 8/8 PP11* SS 2/2
Primus AC12(16) HP 59/59 HD 8/8 PP19 Psi(6) 42/44
Sesto AC18* HP 53/59 HD 8/8 PP15 SS 3/4 3/3 3/3 2/2 CD 2/2
(NPCs)
Loklafd (S17) AC14 HP 58/58 HD 9/9 PP12
Eko AC11 HP 1/1 PP13*
Sooty AC12 HP 1/1 PP11*
Mordtroll1 AC12 HP 28/39 PP9*
Mordtroll2 AC12 HP 23/39 PP9*
KoboldZombie1 AC9 HP 7/13 PP8*
KoboldZombie2 AC9 HP 10/13 PP8*
KoboldZombie3 AC9 HP 11/13 PP8*
KoboldZombie4 AC9 HP 9/13 PP8*
KoboldZombie5 AC9 HP 13/13 PP8*
(Trolls)
Oggsbruff AC17 HP 105/105 PP13*
Sargloth AC18 HP 84/84 PP12*
Ice Troll1 AC16 HP 84/84 PP12*
Oodnadatta (IT2) AC16 HP 84/84 PP12*
Ice Troll3 AC16 HP 84/84 PP12*
Ice Troll4 AC16 HP 84/84 PP12*
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
(BGs)
Old Icy Death 0;
Skragg1 0; Sk2 0; Sk3 0; Sk4 0; Sk5 0; Sk6 0;
End Round One; Begin Round Two
 
Last edited:

Fradak

Explorer
Lorenn surfs to Kalorn and gives him a hand. Looks like you've started off on the wrong foot."
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Alhana & Kalorn

As Alhana started to climb toward the rope, a chunk of ice that had been kicked off by Kalorn as he slid down the crack took out her feet, and she slid off the ledge. Lorenn was on his way to help Kalorn who had wedged himself just above where Alhana was sliding off the edge.

OOC: If @Fradak Lorenn wants to use another Feather Fall on his way over to help Kalorn, he can wave Kalorn to let go and we can say he casts it on both of them (Alhana and Kalorn) and then, while they float like a feather, grabs them by the hands and floats them out over the safer ground before setting them down...Either way they get a little banged up by the sharp ice. Alhana will take a lot more if she falls...


GM: Damage Taken:
(BGs) None; (NPCs) None
(PCs) Alhana 3 (Sharp Ice) ; Kalorn 3 (Sharp Ice)
Sharp Ice scrapes...
1D6 = [3] = 3 & 1D6 = [3] = 3
[/sblock]
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Lorenn

Lorenn was floating on his board over to help and hustle Kalorn, when Alhana fell. He waved to Kalorn to let go from his wedged-in perch and blew another feather. As both his allies floated slowly down toward the jagged ice, Lorenn floated over and scooped them both by their hands. Flying back over the treasure-shelf, he set them down gently on the relatively flat, and safe ice. Fog and mist swirled about them, and all were aware that the temperature, cold as it was, seemed to be dropping still.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Loklafd & Sesto & the Kobold Skeletons

Loklafd and Sesto came to the first ledge and the Reghedman threw his torch over, where it sputtered but did not quite go out on the icy ground. He helped Sesto to lower the kobold zombies on their rope, and the Cleric removed his shield from his back and cast a light spell on it, causing the shield, with it's sun-symbol to glow in a light that caused the swirling mists to glow.

Far away, something growled deep and low.

OOC: I took the liberty of figuring out Loklafd & Sesto's turns (Sesto based on various discussions and intentions by Prickly). I did it because we'd have had to back-and-forth a bit about getting the kobolds down, and just how much one can accomplish on a turn. Speaking of which, Sesto will still have to ready his shield, but he can easily hop down the level with his cat's grace on his next turn. This group is done, aside from @tglassy Primus, who's still at the bottom of the rope. I think Kalorn is caught up enough, too, with all the extra movement.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
OOC: Oh, I forgot Oggsbruff!


Oggsbruff vs Skragg1

The big armoured Ice Troll lumbered forward, crossing the treasure-shelf. He ignored the treasure, leading the way to where he thought the dracolich would be. When he got to the ledge that would drop him down to the lowest part of the lair, he looked back to see where his allies were. He could not make out any of them in the swirling mists, but he could see Sesto's light, which caused the fog to glow opaquely.

"Hurry up, yooz slow-pokers!" he called.

Then there was a growl somewhere out in the mist and Oggsbruff turned back toward it. Sooty the bat flew past his shoulder, distracting him for a moment, and then suddenly, a very large icicle flew out of the mist toward him. He turned from it at the last second and it scratched his arm. The wound was light, and it immediately began to close.

"Hoo frew dat?" he called, and saw a shadow moving through the mist below him.

GM: Damage Taken:
(BGs) None; (PCs) None;
(NPCs) Oggsbruff 9 (Big Icicle. Of course, he regenerates 10 later.)
Skragg1 throws a big icicle at Oggsbruff (while unseen).
Javelin: 2D20.HIGH(1)+7 = [5, 10]+7 = 17; 3D6+4 = [1, 2, 2]+4 = 9
[/sblock]
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
Mord watched the trolls haul up on their fallen bretherin. He had little stake in this fight, and expected the trolls would prefer that he keep his nose out of their business. But just the same, he sent the skeletons around to try and flank the zomie-like undead.
 

Advertisement

Top