5E (IC) Rise of the Dracolich

Prickly Pear

Explorer
After having lit up his child with the light of Lathander, Sesto carefully secures it on his arm. There... extra protection never hurts when dealing with dragons, he thought and gracefully jumped down to the next level, where the minions were awaiting further orders. Loklafd would follow shortly. The old ice-hunter wouldn't need any help.
Follow me, he ordered the minions, and protect me. Sesto set off towards Oggsbruff. He couldn't quite see the big troll but it was noisy enough to follow. In the light of his shield, Sesto came up to a icy pillar that was glittering with ice-crusted treasure. Sesto knew better than grabbing treasure in a dragons lair... he had heard too many stories about how protective dragons were of their treasure. And they always seemed to sense when it had been disturbed! There is always time to grab the treasure later, Sesto thought. ...if I survive this, he added as an afterthought.
 
Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Primus peers into the fog, unable to see much further, even with his Darkvision. He keeps with the group, but as he could not see the trolls, he could not enter and disrupt their minds. That’s fine. He wanted to be ready to fight the Dragon, when the time came.

He scanned the ceiling, just in case.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Eastern Lair

The Easter Lair was alive with activity as the trolls and drowned trolls bit, tore, and thumped with clubs at each other. Oogabooga took a chunk out of the undead troll on his side of the ice-pillar, as Mord struck it with an eldritch blast. Mord's troll scratched away at it as well, but weakly. So far, Mord had been disappointed by their performance, but he hoped that they would have time to do better. The drowned troll bit and scratched at Oogabooga in turn, tearing deeply into the bearded troll's flesh.

On the other side of the ice-pillar, Sargloth thumped the undead troll there with his club, and defended himself with his shield and seal-skin helmet. He was proud of his superior gear, but he had expected it to flatten all opponents, and this thing seemed to barely notice. Mord's other troll skelton rushed in from behind, but the undead troll did not seem to notice.

Mord's skeleton had passed by a Dragon Cultist, who came through the fog into the range of Mord's darkvision. He called out in a version of the giant tongue, using inflections that the trolls found strange, "You trolls, there! Why do you invade Arauthator's Sanctum? You will invite the wrath of the Dragon upon yourselves if you do not stop now!"

OOC: Let's see how my new Resolve-block looks to you all (feedback welcome):

GM:
(Allies)
Oogabooga stayed & did 12 (bite) & 9 (claw) dmg (resisted) to Skragg5;
Sargloth stayed & did 8 & 9 (club) dmg (resisted) to Skragg6;
MordTroll1 stayed & missed Sk5;
MordTroll2 dashed to (CZ41);
Mord stayed & did 5 (EB) force dmg to Sk5;
(Enemies)
Skragg6 stayed & missed Sargloth
Skragg5
stayed & did 6 (bite) & 12 & 8 (claw) dmg to Oogabooga;
Cultist DW1 arrived at (CX38);
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Western Lair

Kalorn wished for everyone to avoid being bunched up in case of dragon breath, but it was harder to do than he hoped. Alhana and he climbed out of the depression with the spikes, as Lorenn flew off on his board, but they were unable to get very far from each other. Instead, Kalorn took cover behind an icy outcropping and sent his sight to Sooty, who had flown up to the icy ceiling and found a small crack to hold onto. Kalorn could now see a larger area of the cavern through the bat's echolocation - the entirety of the treasure-shelf and the pool of freezing sea-water behind the drowned troll.

Oggsbruff had jumped down the last shelf to see who had thrown the icicle at him. He came upon the drowned troll, and was enraged that his former friend, who had gone missing, had been reduced to this. Better that he'd been eaten by the dragon, as Oggsbruff had thought, than be nekkermunched. The big armoured troll raised his spiked club and pounded on the undead as the creature scratched and bit at him.

Alhana could not see, but she could hear the two trolls fighting. As Loklafd picked up his torch and readied a javelin while moving past her, she closed her eyes and listened. With her keen elven ears, and her deft control of her bow, she sent two arrows sailing into the dark fog. They went smoothly past Oggsbruff and into the undead troll with a thunk thunk that told her she had struck her target.

GM:
(Allies)
Alhana moved to (BA25) & did 17 & 20 (arrows) damage to Skragg1;
Loklafd dashed to (AU27);
Sooty flew to (A028) on ceiling (50' up from lowest level);
Kalorn moved to (BC25) & gained 60' Blindsight (from A028);
Oggsbruff moved to (AL33) & did 25 & 18 (spiked club) damage (resisted) to Skragg1;
(Enemies)
Skragg1 stayed & did 14 (claw) damage to Oggsbruff;
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Eastern Lair

Ignoring the cultist, Oodnadatta continued to bite and claw at the drowned troll that had once been his uncle. Blurcho tore another chunk of ice from the pillar and tossed it at the undead at relatively close range, where it skipped of the edge of Sargloth's shield and scattered across the floor.

The other trolls, who had been overwhelmed with confusion and remorse at the sight of their now-undead kin, saw what he had done and tore chunks of their own from the nearby ice-shelf and hurled them at the other drowned troll, striking it twice in the face.

OOC: I forgot a few people before! Sorry, I'll get this round rolled yet!

GM:
(Allies)
Oodnadatta stayed & did 10 (bite) & 11 (claw) damage (resisted) to Skragg6;
Blurcho stayed & missed Skragg6
Troll3
stayed & did 16 (ice chunk) damage (resisted) to Skragg5;
Troll4 stayed & did 14 (ice chunk) damage (resisted) to Skragg5;
 

Fradak

Explorer
With everyone safe, Lorenn could finally look after a more essential thing... the glittering treasure.

"You're right Kalorn, let split". And as Lorenn pronounced those words, 3 more Lorenn appeared. Then they surfed together toward the bigest pillar.

OOC: Action: Mirror Image
Movement + Dash: AO22
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Western Lair

Primus moved forward, keeping an eye on the ceiling. He could sense that something was about to happen, and he felt a vibration in the ice as Sesto donned his shield and led his minions toward the treasure-filled ice pillar. Lorenn also sailed past on his board, travelling around the pillar marvelling at the wealth, while splitting into multiple images.

The strange vibrations increased and Primus called out a warning as the top of the ice-pillar exploded into razor-sharp shards and scattered across the shelf. Everyone ducked or raised shields, and surprisingly no harm was done to anyone, not even Lorenn's duplicates, who were theatrically brushing smaller ice-spray off of their clothes.

Eko, knowing that Lorenn would like to understand the extent of the lair, flew past the still-stationary undead troll and travelled all the way to the eastern side of the lair, where the familiar observed Mord and the trolls in their battle.

OOC: Though I'm pretty sure Eko can't report to Lorenn from that far away. 100 feet, right?


GM:
(Allies)
Primus dashed to (AZ30)
Sesto moved to (AW22) & donned his shield
Kobold Zombies moved to (AW23), (AX22), (AY21), (AY23), (AZ22)
Lorenn flew to (AO22) & cast Mirror Image (L2 SS)
Eko flew dashed to East Lair (CK45)
(Enemies)
Skragg3 stayed and did nothing
The Lair exploded ice-shards, but did no damage. Lucky.
 
Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
GM: Encounter: Imani's Agents & Oggsbruff vs Old Icy Death in his Lair on Oyaviggaton
IceLairW3.jpg

Locations:
(BGs)IcyDeath (???); Skragg1 (AJ34); Sk3 (BR35)
(PCs)Alhana (BA25); Kalorn (BC25); Lorenn (BF23); Primus (AZ30); Sesto (AW22);
(NPCs)Oggsbruff (AN31); Loklafd (BD18); Sooty (AV28);
(Undead)KoboldZombie1 (AW23); KZ2 (AX22); KZ3 (AY21); KZ4 (AY23); KZ5 (AZ22);
Encounter: Mord & Ice Trolls vs Cult of the Dragon in East Lair of Oyaviggaton
IceLairE3.jpg

Locations:
(BGs)DragonWing1 (CX38); Skragg5 (CR47); Sk6 (CZ43);
(PCs)Mord (DC49); (NPCs)MordTroll1 (CQ49); MT2 (CZ41); Eko (CK45);
(Trolls)Sargloth (DA45); Oogabooga (CT47); Blurcho (CY46); Oodnadatta (DB43); IT3 (CV50); IT4 (CY50)
Visibility (Dark & Foggy) Darkvision 60'=40' (120'=80'), Light (Sesto & Loklafd) 30'ra (15/15).
Terrain Difficult (Everywhere) (Crampons/Claws ignore) (Slide w/ dc11 Acrobatics).
Elevation 8' per colour (darker at bottom) (Down = 15' move; Up = 15' & dc15 Athletics)
(See OOC post#1034 for details)
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells * (Notes)
(PCs)
Alhana AC17 HP 65/68 HD 8/8 PP14*
Kalorn AC16(21)* HP 63/63 THP2/5 HD 8/8 PP15 WSS 1/2 EKSS 2/2
Lorenn AC17(20) HP 54/54 HD 8/8 PP14* SS 2/4 2/3 3/3 Song 2/2 (Mirror)
Mord AC14 HP 45/51 HD 8/8 PP11* SS 2/2
Primus AC12(16) HP 59/59 HD 8/8 PP19 Psi(6) 42/44
Sesto AC18* HP 53/59 HD 8/8 PP15 SS 4/4 2/3 3/3 2/2 CD 2/2 (Light) (C:E.Ability)
(NPCs)
Loklafd AC14 HP 58/58 HD 9/9 PP12 (Torch)
Eko AC11 HP 1/1 PP13*
Sooty AC12 HP 1/1 PP11*
Mordtroll1 AC12 HP 28/39 PP9*
Mordtroll2 AC12 HP 23/39 PP9*
KoboldZombie1 AC9 HP 7/13 PP8*
KoboldZombie2 AC9 HP 10/13 PP8*
KoboldZombie3 AC9 HP 11/13 PP8*
KoboldZombie4 AC9 HP 9/13 PP8*
KoboldZombie5 AC9 HP 13/13 PP8*
(Trolls)
Oggsbruff AC17 HP 105/105 PP13*
Sargloth AC18 HP 84/84 PP12*
Oogabooga AC16 HP 63/84 PP12*
Blurcho AC16 HP 84/84 PP12* (Frightened)
Oodnadatta AC16 HP 84/84 PP12*
Ice Troll3 AC16 HP 84/84 PP12* (Frightened)
Ice Troll4 AC16 HP 84/84 PP12* (Frightened)
Name * Damage Taken * (Notes)
(BGs)
Old Icy Death 0;
Dragonwing1 0;
Skragg1 0; Sk2 0; Sk3 0; Sk4 0; Sk5 45; Sk6 25;
End Round Three; Begin Round Four
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
Mord smiled as he spotted the cultist and heard him trying to reason with the trolls. This wasn't unexpected and he stepped forward. Looking for all the world like Orcaheart and locked eyes across the battle with the cultist. A moment later, the struggling orcs obscured their view and he could be seen and heard issuing orders in their tribes language.

"Go! Slay the interlopers!

Answering tribal battlecries issued out from somewhere behind the ice pillar, seeming to move around as if attempting to get at the cultist while avoiding the struggling trolls.

I took the assumption that Mord could and probably would have cast guidance again before the fight started. If it's not allowed, you can always ignore the roll.

Deception to fool the cultist and Minor Illusion for the ghost sounds application.
Deception: 1D20+1D4+7 = [6]+[4]+7 = 17
 

gargoyleking

Explorer
The Mordtrolls were far clumsier than their former selves and one stumbled into it's swing while the other took a fairly effective swipe at it's target.

Claw: 2#1d20+5 11 16 2#2d6+3 12 10
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Eastern Lair

While Oogabooga and the drowned troll continued to scratch at each other, Mord pretended to be the ice-hunter champion Orcaheart, and called out instructions in the ice-hunter's language. The trolls didn't speak it, and they didn't understand the ruse, but they were busy anyway. Mord didn't speak it himself; he'd practiced the phrases with Loklafd, and he hoped that he'd gotten the inflection correct. In the event, it didn't seem to matter - the cultist spotted him among the trolls and ran back the way he came. Mord could see that the cultist was wearing crampons similar to Sesto's, and as there was no light source, either the cultist was not human, or else the strange dragon-like mask that he wore granted darkvision.

As the cultist ran off, Mord saw Lorenn's familiar Eko fly by overhead. The owl circled above the trolls, and flew off toward the north-west. Mord turned his attention back to his skeletal minions. While he was still not particularly happy with their performance so far, he saw one get a solid rake in on the undead that was fighting the troll sergeant.

Behind him, the other trolls were ripping hunks of ice out of the walls and hurling them at the other undead. Sometimes the ice-hunks missed and slid across the lair's floor, and other times they burst on the body of the drowned troll, like a very heavy, very hard snowball.

GM:
(Allies)
Oogabooga stayed & did 6 & 8 (claw) damage (resisted) to Skragg5
Troll3 & 4
both stayed & did 9 (ice hunk) damage to SK5
MordTroll1
stayed & missed SK5
MordTroll2
stayed & did 10 (claw) damage (resisted) to Skragg6
Eko
dashed (flying) to (CQ34)
(Enemies)
Cultist DW1 dashed to (DC26)
Skragg5 stayed & did 10 & 15 (claw) damage to Ooga
 
Last edited:

gargoyleking

Explorer
Loklafd moved up to the edge of the ridge. And held up the torch to shed a light on the situation.

He's not holding the torch towards the trolls at all, just straight up where it can illuminate as much as possible.
 

FitzTheRuke

Adventurer
Western Lair

Alhana began to run across the flat, slippery ice-shelf. Her natural elvish balance made it easy enough for her to stay up as she slid until she arrived at one of the higher platforms, where she climbed up to have a look around. She could see the two trolls fighting beneath her, and a ridge of ice loomed out of the fog to the south, but beyond that, all was dark, cold, and foreboding.

Oggsbruff and the drowned troll exchanged mighty blows for bites and scratches.

Loklafd came to the edge of the ice-shelf below her, and he held his torch up to try to see above the fog. At first he could just make out the ceiling, but then the fog began to thicken and the temperature around him dropped. It was already extremely cold, but this was unbearable. His torch flickered, and went out as ice formed where fire had been. Loklafd had trouble breathing as the misty air froze the water in his mouth and lungs. He gasped as his body began to ache, and he found that he could no longer see - it was not the darkness from his torch going out - he couldn't see Sesto's light, either.

The freezing cloud spread up and around the ice-pillars and Alhana could feel it reaching around her legs.

GM:
(Allies)
Alhana slid to (AU33) & climbed to (AS34)
Locklafd dashed to (AO31)
Oggsbruff stayed & did 17 & 18 (club) damage to Skragg1
(Enemies)
Skragg1 stayed & did 16 &13 (claw) & 6 (bite) damage to Oggsbruff
Lair
does 21 cold damage to Loklafd (I rolled his save)
& 10 cold damage to Alhana (dc10 Con save for half)
& creates a cloud of cold & heavy obscurement from (AM26 to AT34)
Alhana can take her next turn (and presumably get out) before taking more cold damage.
 
Last edited:

Advertisement

Top